Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reitsma's fall from Grace

Reitsma's fall from Grace

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Marc's Blog

Reitsma's downward slide
    ATLANTA -- Funny someone mentioned Chris Reitsma in a comment below. I'm sitting here at Hartsfield waiting for a connection to St. Louis and just read a Jeff Schultz column in the AJC on the woeful Braves. In case you didn't hear, they got swept in a four-game set by Arizona, the first time they've absorbed one of those from any opponent since 1995.

Anyway, Reitsma sounds as if he's become persona non grata here in my old hometown. Read something the other day where somebody driving by in his neighborhood yelled something at him. Today, Schultz refers to him as "the lost Marx brother, Implodo" after Reitsma gave up a couple of homers in the ninth yesterday.

Something's got to give with the Braves, and Reitsma can't be feeling too good about his job security. Always enjoyed dealing with the guy, and he obviously was far more effective during his time in Cincinnati. I can't believe he's fallen this far, but it might not be long before he joins Danny Graves in the International League.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reitsma's fall from Grace

So does this now make the Reitsma trade a wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    So does this now make the Reitsma trade a wash?
    well, we did get a good two years of amusement out of having a player named Juan Bong, so I'm thinking the Reds actually came out ahead.

It was the right time to trade Reitsma (along with Riedling, remember when Florida wanted to trade for him and the Reds wouldn't do it) but unfortunately we got nothing in return for Reitsma, mainly because of a former GM, whose name escapes me.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    It was the right time to trade Reitsma (along with Riedling, remember when Florida wanted to trade for him and the Reds wouldn't do it) but unfortunately we got nothing in return for Reitsma, mainly because of a former GM, whose name escapes me.
    Exactly.

Thing is, as bad as Reitsma has fallen, he did give the Braves a quality setupman and temporary fix at closer. Bubba Nelson will be lucky to sniff the majors and Bong hasn't produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Reitsma always relied on being lucky. I never thought anything of him or Acevado when people were all about them.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

got alil captain in u?

i say this trade is about equal in suckiness

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was at that game Sunday but left at the 7th Inning stretch and missed seeing Reitsma's Graves-esque performance. The TV and radio people in Atlanta couldn't stop talking last night and this morning about how stunned they are by how poorly the Braves are doing this year.

During the game, the Braves' scoreboard showed a list of their injured players. I think there were 7 names on that list. That has to be a factor. I also think the loss of Leo Mazzone is hurting more than they're letting on.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

The Braves got the better of the deal by far, even if Reitsma's never good again. Chris was useful for two years at a reasonable salary. We got squat.

I kinda liked the deal at the time. But that's why I'm here at the computer, and Schuerholz is baseball's highest paid GM.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I can't believe they still run Reitsma out of there, but for sure BRaves got the better end of the deal. I'd still take him over White.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Is Reitsma's change too predictable now or something? I know his is pretty devestating when used correctly but perhaps he is just not mixing it in at the right times now?

I disagree about this trade being even close to even.

Reitsma has given the Braves 3 solid years. Maybe Reitsma isn't closer material, but he was a solid reliever for 3 years. At the time he was traded, he was coming of a season for the Reds where he was 25 years old, and had a 3.64 ERA in 138 innings (starting and relieving). The Reds got absolutely nothing for him. At the time, many clubs were interested in Reitsma, and somehow DanO managed to get NOTHING for him.

While Reitsma has had a rough start, there's still plenty of time for him to turn it around. Again, even if he's not a closer, he can still contribute. Meanwhile, Nelson and Bong aren't even in the organization anymore. The Braves still have an asset. We have nothing.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Reitsma has given the Braves 3 solid years.
    He was traded to the Braves prior to the start of the '04 season. He's currently in his third season in Atlanta. In '04, he finished with a 4.07 ERA, and last year he had a 3.93 ERA. I don't know that I'd call those 2 years solid. He wasn't great. He wasn't awful. He was like a 2005 David Weathers.

This year, though, the guy has been flat out bad. in 25.0 IP, he has given up 36 hits and 20 earned runs. That's a 7.20 ERA for those of you keeping score at home. That's Rick White / Dave Williams territory.

My guess is that the Braves will give him a few more shots to right himself. If he can't, I think he'd be another guy for Krivsky to consider picking up on the cheap (a la Ross, Phillips, etc). Maybe Reitsma is injured. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Either way, it could be another low risk option.

Speaking of the Braves, their catcher McCann is supposedly not that far away from returning. While he's been out, the Braves have been running Todd Pratt out there on a regular basis. My guess is that Krivsky could have a potential trading partner in John Schuerholz at some point this summer. The Braves desperately need a backup catcher, and Cincy seems to have plenty of catchers to go around...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Reitsma misses Diamonds in Centerville.

He used to be a regular there. Ever since he got traded and doesn't have that fine establishment at his fingertips, his numbers have suffered.

Bottomline, return Reitsma to the Reds, get him closer to Diamonds once more, and he'll return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Reitsma misses Diamonds in Centerville.
    Trust me, there are plenty of those types of establishments around the ATL.

(Or so I've been told.)

And he's got Andruw Jones to show him around to boot!

Turn Off Ads?