Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Shocking.........Zero Respect

for the reds, now, before i get slammed I realize we have to earn it but geez. All they talk about on ESPN is the Yanks Red Sox and White Sox Tigers as the two premiere series this week, not one mention of the reds-cards. On baseball tonight they did an entire rundown of the NL central without the reds on it, didn't mention the brewers either but i don't care about them. On Mike and Mike they talked about the two important series this week being the aforementioned

Cards - "just opened up the race"
    Astros - "need to right the ship and take advantage"
    Cubs - "starting to get healthy and may have a shot"
    Pirates - "are the out of it yet, likely but could make a run"

I mean seriously, we are 3 games out....... a sweep puts us in first place. You'd think with us winning 4 in a row, Albert on the DL would make for more attention, guess not oh well, time to put it on the cards and earn it baby.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Yeah, this weekend I caught a little segment they did on possible trade scenarios involving notable contenders -- Houston, several games back of the Reds, was listed. The Reds weren't. And, as usual, the Yanks and Red Sox were credited as having more needs than the other notable contenders (because, as we all know, it is of the utmost importance that all of the needs of the Yanks and the Red Sox be met immediately, guaranteeing yet another dream postseason matchup of everybody's favorite two teams).

I am not bitter, not bitter at all......

Why should the media care when the people of Cincinnati don't?

Just saying....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

Just saying....
    unfortunately...........true.

RIGHT ON. try getting more than 30k in for a game this year. i remember a while back we were like 10 over earlier in the year and there was like 15k in the stands.

PATHETIC

plus, those other teams, excluding pitt(who they threw in to bad mouth) have proven over the years to be winners and to do what it takes to win

the Reds HAVEN'T
    Last edited by NewEraReds; 06-05-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    plus, those other teams, expluding pitt(who they threw in to bad mouth) have proven over the years to be winners and to do what it takes to win

the Reds HAVEN'T
    Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.

As far as television is concerned it is a New York, Boston, LA, Chicago kind of world. Small markets don't matter because that's not where TV makes there money. If the networks had their way every World Series, NBA championship, Super Bowl would be a New York vs. LA or New York vs. Chicago etc... That's where the ratings are so they often discuss these teams without consideration of smaller markets.

Its all about the numbers.

New York > Cincinnati

Let me illustrate:

If the Yanks are in 1st place: "Wow!! How bout those Yankess!! Today we are going to talk about how great the Yankees are."

If the Yankess are in last place: "Wow!! What is wrong with the Yankees this year? Today we are going to talk about what is wrong with the Yankess."

NOW

If the Reds are in 1st place: chirp chirp (crickets) chirp chirp (crickets)

If the Reds are in last place: chirp chirp (crickets) chirp chirp (crickets)

That's pretty much how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    As far as television is concerned it is a New York, Boston, LA, Chicago kind of world. Small markets don't matter because that's not where TV makes there money. If the networks had their way every World Series, NBA championship, Super Bowl would be a New York vs. LA or New York vs. Chicago etc... That's where the ratings are so they often discuss these teams without consideration of smaller markets.
    I agree with you 100%, i just wish they'd *at least* mention the reds/cards as a big series. If anything all the reasons state above seem like it would be an even more reason to talk about it.

Can the reds prove themselves this week in a key 3-game series this week against the cards is a great story, but maybe i'm just wearing my red goggles.

The thing is, the Reds have played out this scenario for the past few seasons. Contenders in May, pretenders by July.

If they are in first place at the All-Star break, you'll see a ton of media coverage.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Media coverage doesn't win games.

Even here in Chicago the White Sox got virtually no coverage until they won a World Series. It's all about fan base size and ratings.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR
    maybe i'm just wearing my red goggles.
    do those come in the same pack as beer goggles?? If so than you better watch out who you wind up with at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The thing is, the Reds have played out this scenario for the past few seasons. Contenders in May, pretenders by July.

If they are in first place at the All-Star break, you'll see a ton of media coverage.
    Yep, here are the Reds records on 6-1 since 1990 and the RS-RA
    XX Denotes a season with a Plus Run Differential on 6-1
    + sign indicates .500 record at the end of the season
    ++ = Playoffs +++ World Series

Code:
    YEAR    NLC     W   L    GB      WP      RS      RA
    2006    CIN    29  24   5      .547     263     266
    2005    CIN    21  32  13.5    .396     247     294
    2004    CIN    31  21     -    .596     247     247
    2003    CIN    27  29   3.5    .482     279     348
    2002    CIN    32  23     -    .582     242     231 XX
    2001    CIN    21  32  11.5    .396     227     268
    2000    CIN    28  24   1.5    .538     255     271 XX -16 +
    1999    CIN    26  22   3.0    .542     237     205 XX +32 +
    1998    CIN    27  31   7.5    .466     261     282
    1997    CIN    20  35   7.5    .364     202     278
    1996    CIN    20  28   3.0    .417     222     273
    1995    CIN    20  12     -    .625     169     136 XX +33 ++
    1994    CIN    29  23     -    .558     277     236 XX +41 +
    1993    CIN    25  27   8.5    .481     225     227
    1992    CIN    26  21     -    .553     193     192 XX +1  +
    1991    CIN    24  23   2.5    .511     168     180
    1990    CIN    31  12     -    .721     205     134 XX +71 +++

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

Just saying....
    Great post. Maybe the media is waiting for the city to buy in before they do. And if the city doesn't buy in b/c of the summer swoons of the past few years, why should the media?

Turn Off Ads?