Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

  1. #1
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,375

    Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    vs. Washington- walk-off bomb
    @ Tigers- Grand Slam in the 7th to put us up 1
    tonight-3 run bomb in the 9th for the win

    I am starting to think if we are realistically going to make a run at it this year, we need him on our team.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    114

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    yeah I guess all the nay-sayers who think we are a better team w/o Jr can finally be quiet.

  4. #3
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,027

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by spaethc
    yeah I guess all the nay-sayers who think we are a better team w/o Jr can finally be quiet.
    I naysay with the best of them, but as long as Jr. is channeling his younger, healthier self, I am thrilled. That is what we all hoped for when he came over, the Jr. who can carry a team. Simply amazing to watch an all-time great at work.

  5. #4
    got alil captain in u?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bridgeport Ohio
    Posts
    4,839

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    i wouldn't even think about trading him he's the face of this franchise

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,068

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    I naysay with the best of them, but as long as Jr. is channeling his younger, healthier self, I am thrilled. That is what we all hoped for when he came over, the Jr. who can carry a team. Simply amazing to watch an all-time great at work.
    Ditto. Even all the excited people right now might be naysayers in a month. You are never as good as when you are at your best...which he is displaying right now, he is healthy of course. I sure hope he continues to do so well.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I am starting to think if we are realistically going to make a run at it this year, we need him on our team.
    Get rid of the "am starting to" and I agree 100%. There are some realistic hopes of contending with Junior. IMO there are very few hopes with him sent away in a deal for prospects.

    The Reds might finally have the components needed to get Junior to October. I think the Reds owe it to their fans and to Junior to just see what happens. Upgrade around Junior. He is expensive but on days like today you see why. Pretty simple really. Superstars get paid the big bucks. Griff is a superstar. The Reds only one. It's the reason he is the only one paid like it.

    Trade him and we're the Brewers. Why do Red fans want to be the Brewers?

  8. #7
    Member Maldez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    349

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    The kid can still play a little bit, eh?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    530

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    i thought the walk was more important than clutch hitting

    i kid, i kid

  10. #9
    GO XAVIER! toledodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    overland park, kansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed

    Trade him and we're the Brewers. Why do Red fans want to be the Brewers?


    maybe because they are scappy?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.


    Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    i thought the walk was more important than clutch hitting

    i kid, i kid
    haha
    you're going to start another war.
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

  12. #11
    Member Phhhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    3,895

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    I defy anyone to find a post on this site where I ever advocated dealing Jr, even when he was hurt. I was glad when his 10/5 rights kicked in. He is not overpaid for what he is, which happens to be one of the greatest players ever to put on a uniform. If you didn't have a player like this, you would be looking for one. Great call!
    Last edited by Phhhl; 06-06-2006 at 12:25 AM.

  13. #12
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,045

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Get rid of the "am starting to" and I agree 100%. There are some realistic hopes of contending with Junior. IMO there are very few hopes with him sent away in a deal for prospects.

    The Reds might finally have the components needed to get Junior to October. I think the Reds owe it to their fans and to Junior to just see what happens. Upgrade around Junior. He is expensive but on days like today you see why. Pretty simple really. Superstars get paid the big bucks. Griff is a superstar. The Reds only one. It's the reason he is the only one paid like it.

    Trade him and we're the Brewers. Why do Red fans want to be the Brewers?
    Sorry to say MaineRed, but I completely disagree with you on this one. Ken Griffey Jr. simply can't be counted on to "be a superstar" any more. Sure, what Reds' fan doesn't enjoy Griffey doing what he does best in hitting walk-off home runs. But can you honestly say that if the Reds can trade an injury liability for a solid young SP you wouldn't do it?

    I really love Kenny, it's just all too bad that he played on that Astroturf. Even the wonders of modern science can't save his legs. If he were to play the way he is now for the remainder of his contract, I could fully embrace him. But any Reds' fan knows this success won't last forever.

    As the White Sox proved last year and the Braves have for the last decade, consistent success begins and ends with starting pitching.

    However, if we were to end up at the trading deadline with a lead in the division or within 3 or 4 games, I would be up for keeping him. However, if we continue into a likely swoon, then I would be willing to deal him for good starting pitching.

    I love Griffey, I just don't think his success can continue.

  14. #13
    Member red-in-la's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Santa Paula, CA
    Posts
    6,536

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Not just to trade JR for a pitcher, which I doubt you could do......but think of this team in 2007 and 2008 with a 12.5 million dollar a year ace heading up Arroyo, Harang and Milton.

    The Reds still will score a lot of runs without JR.....and he is a defensive liability in CF, sans one or two diving catches. I am not much of a Ryan Freel fan, but he showed Reds fans the other night what RANGE in the outfield means. JR's ZR is down to statue.

    I would deal JR at the drop of a hat, just to get rid of the salary so it could go to a serious FA starting pitcher either at the deadline or over the winter.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    534

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan2
    Sorry to say MaineRed, but I completely disagree with you on this one. Ken Griffey Jr. simply can't be counted on to "be a superstar" any more. Sure, what Reds' fan doesn't enjoy Griffey doing what he does best in hitting walk-off home runs. But can you honestly say that if the Reds can trade an injury liability for a solid young SP you wouldn't do it?

    I really love Kenny, it's just all too bad that he played on that Astroturf. Even the wonders of modern science can't save his legs. If he were to play the way he is now for the remainder of his contract, I could fully embrace him. But any Reds' fan knows this success won't last forever.

    As the White Sox proved last year and the Braves have for the last decade, consistent success begins and ends with starting pitching.

    However, if we were to end up at the trading deadline with a lead in the division or within 3 or 4 games, I would be up for keeping him. However, if we continue into a likely swoon, then I would be willing to deal him for good starting pitching.

    I love Griffey, I just don't think his success can continue.
    The Reds don't have another player who can do what Junior did tonight and do it consistently....see Washington at GABP, Detroit in Comerica, and tonight...

    If they're serious, and we all know they are, the Reds will not move Griffey. He is a presence in the lineup. The easy thing to say is that the Reds will continue to score without Junior, but without him, who do other teams legitimately fear??? It is obvious that Dunn can be pitched to. Narron said it himself, Griffey can hit a pitcher's pitch and do something with it. Griffey is the guy to anchor this lineup.

  16. #15
    Member Phhhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    3,895

    Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    Not just to trade JR for a pitcher, which I doubt you could do......but think of this team in 2007 and 2008 with a 12.5 million dollar a year ace heading up Arroyo, Harang and Milton.

    The Reds still will score a lot of runs without JR.....and he is a defensive liability in CF, sans one or two diving catches. I am not much of a Ryan Freel fan, but he showed Reds fans the other night what RANGE in the outfield means. JR's ZR is down to statue.

    I would deal JR at the drop of a hat, just to get rid of the salary so it could go to a serious FA starting pitcher either at the deadline or over the winter.
    But, why can't the club do that anyway? If Jr. moves to a corner, he is still by far the best hitter on this team. There is no offensive player on this team that other pitchers concern themselves with in the ninth inning other than "that" guy. Up and down the lineup, you check them off... nobody.

    We have been conditioned to believe we can't possibly afford the big offseason acquistion, that ace pitcher. But, I don't know that money is going to prevent the new ownership from making that move if they feel this team is close enough. Free agent pitchers may not want to come here, but that is a different story altogether. I don't think the 10-15 million dollar bump it may require to get a numero uno doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of anybody who is currently part of the nucleus of this team. And, inmho, Jr. has always been the centerpiece.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25