Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

Haunted by walks

Re: Maybe we shouldn't trade this Griffey guy

This is one of those times when the sun is shining and there's no need to fix the roof. Then the rain will come again and we'll wish we had fixed the roof.

The trouble is, for some reason, you can't trade Griffey for the Griffey of pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis

Insenuating that someone who does not feel as you do must not be as big a fan as you, or watch as many games as you, is a snide remark. There was nothing personal in my response to you, other than a request to leave those types of comments out of your responses.
    You are correct.....and I apologize. When I read back my post I could see where that statement was harsh.

I did not realize that saying Junior brings more to the lineup than any other Reds players had to be backed up my statistics, I think it is obvious.

Your response may not have been personal, but it was very condescending in nature whether it was intended or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    You are correct.....and I apologize. When I read back my post I could see where that statement was harsh.
    No problem, thanks. And my response was not meant to be condescending, only trying to put a different perspective on the Junior situation.

I love Junior, and I love the fact that he is doing well right now. I literally jumped out of my chair when he hit the 9th inning bomb last night. But, sooner or later, Junior won't be quite as "dialed-in" as he is now--the HRs will turn into harmless fly balls. And then people will commence with the "we should have traded him when he was hot" comments.

I'm not advocating for a trade now, only saying that the reds would be foolish not to consider it if the right opportunity presented itself. I'd like to see Junior retire as a Red, with over 600 bombs and a WS title. But if he doesn't, I'm fine with that, too--provided his exit presents a benefit to the club.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I love Junior, and I love the fact that he is doing well right now. I literally jumped out of my chair when he hit the 9th inning bomb last night. But, sooner or later, Junior won't be quite as "dialed-in" as he is now--the HRs will turn into harmless fly balls. And then people will commence with the "we should have traded him when he was hot" comments.

I'm not advocating for a trade now, only saying that the reds would be foolish not to consider it if the right opportunity presented itself. I'd like to see Junior retire as a Red, with over 600 bombs and a WS title. But if he doesn't, I'm fine with that, too--provided his exit presents a benefit to the club.
    I woke up my whole neighborhood last night when Junior hit that home run.

Eventually, he will start losing his hitting ability, but I think he is still a year or two away from that. Right now, he is still getting the job done. Of course we all know the key is keeping him healthy. I said at the beginning of the season that I'd be happy to get 120-130 games out of him. If he can help this team get to the playoffs, then I can accept the 30-40 games the team will have without him. I believe that with the knee injury he had, if it would have been September and the team contending he would have been playing. Also, if the team would have been in the playoff hunt last September I still believe that he would have played on.

I think part of my problem as why I get testy with this topic is that I want so bad for Junior to win a championship with the Reds because that is about the only accomplishment he hasn't reached yet in his career. Having said that though, I still feel I could overlook that if it's best for the team trading him. I just think that time hasn't come yet.

Also, we have to keep in mind that Junior has to approve any trade and I can't see him doing so when this team is contending for the playoffs. I stand by the thinking that it would send the wrong signal to the team and the majority of the fans.

Turn Off Ads?