Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOW - 6 YRS LATER, Baseball is back in Cincinnati

NOW - 6 YRS LATER, Baseball is back in Cincinnati

I'm 30 and have followed the reds since i found out about $5.00 tickets and ended up going down 12 times in that magic 99' year with tens of thousands of you also. I accidently fell in love with the game that year, it was magic. Still with them in good times and bad ( I only turn it off when it hurts to much) I haven't felt that same magic since that year...........but not only have I this year. I feel like for the first time in my life i've seen a true legend at work and loved and lived every second of it. What a shot! What a game! GO REDS!!!
    Were bringing the Dayton crew down. Let's get out there this weekend and show our support and get that place rockin again........i miss it.
    Last edited by DaytonDieHard; 06-06-2006 at 12:00 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NOW - 6 YRS LATER, Baseball is back in Cincinnati

A lot of good feelings on the board tonight let's hope it turns into fans in the seats. I am planning a trip out to see the Reds for the first time this summer and I am indeed hoping the ballpark is rockin.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Sorry to say, but Reds fans have reasons to be skeptical. As most Reds fans know, the Reds are prone to late season swoons and it's not like these Reds have dominated at any point this year. However, one would expect that the Reds would be drawing more fans at this point. Give me two more wins against the Cardinals and you will see me and many others in the seats on Friday night.

Even if they're skeptical, support them when they're playing well. If they fall apart next week, it doesn't matter... they are playing well NOW.

Can you imagine, even if they lose 1 or both of the next two... can you imagine how pumped this team would be to come home to a full house? Or nearly full?

I remember reading earlier in the season that the players think the fans don't think they notice when the park is nearly empty or nearly full... that player said they do notice, and when a lot of fans show up it makes them feel really good.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Even if they're skeptical, support them when they're playing well. If they fall apart next week, it doesn't matter... they are playing well NOW.

Can you imagine, even if they lose 1 or both of the next two... can you imagine how pumped this team would be to come home to a full house? Or nearly full?

I remember reading earlier in the season that the players think the fans don't think they notice when the park is nearly empty or nearly full... that player said they do notice, and when a lot of fans show up it makes them feel really good.
    I couldn't agree more. Don't be skeptical, be a fan, a fanatical fan. I've made the two hour trip to GABP twice this year and am looking forward to going 5 or 6 more times.
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

I went to a couple games on the last homestand. Attendance is starting to improve, and the club wasn't even playing that well at the time. I would expect the place to be rocking when they come home after punching the Cardinals in the mouth this week.

saboforthird

I could care less about whether players feel good or not. They're there to win ballgames. It's a business. They're making far more money as individual players than this whole board combined will make in a lifetime. If I was making that kind of money, I'd be pleased as peaches to go out there and swing a bat and field grounders. Not saying I wouldn't suck, because I would (I could double White's ERA, LOL), but still.....play the game because you love it, not because the stadium is filled with fans looking for a bobblehead. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    I could care less about whether players feel good or not. They're there to win ballgames. It's a business. They're making far more money as individual players than this whole board combined will make in a lifetime. If I was making that kind of money, I'd be pleased as peaches to go out there and swing a bat and field grounders. Not saying I wouldn't suck, because I would (I could double White's ERA, LOL), but still.....play the game because you love it, not because the stadium is filled with fans looking for a bobblehead. Just my 2 cents.
    No matter how much the pay for a job is, most people still want to do a good job and be appreciated. Just because they are professional athletes doesn't make these folks any different.

The argument that they are making an enormous sum of money so they should have no complaints doesn't fly. Just as the ball players are better off than you or I, you and I are better off than a lot of others. I am certain that there are a lot of people in Lower Price Hill or Over the Rhine that would look at me and say, "He makes $45,000 a year, has a felxible job working for a politician, and is married to a doctor. What does he have to complain about?" I can't fault a baseball player for wanting someone to appreciate what they do. I want approval from my boss. I want my friends and family to be proud of my work. Why should baseball players be any different?

Now getting off the high horse, this has been a pretty fun year so far. I'm going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts. And then, I'm still going to enjoy going to the ballpark, just because its a great place to be even if the Reds are losing.

When the Reds were 10 games above .500 and in first in June of 2004 was baseball back in Cincinnati then too?

Baseball is back every year in Cincinnati (and in New Albany too) but it leaves somewhere either before the All star game or shortly after....

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Baseball is back every year in Cincinnati (and in New Albany too) but it leaves somewhere either before the All star game or shortly after....
    Geez, I love your optimism.

I'm happy with the way the Reds have been playing this year but with this bullpen and defense there is no way we can really contend. I'm looking forward to the future and for once it actually looks bright. Enjoy this ride as long as it lasts, it'll be a warmup for the real thing here in a couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11
    I'm happy with the way the Reds have been playing this year but with this bullpen and defense there is no way we can really contend.
    I believed that a month ago, but I'm looking around our division and no team strikes much fear in me. The cards are still the team to beat, especially with Pujols--but they aren't invincible.

SOMEBODY has to win this division, it might just be Cinci. That's where I'm at right now, anyway.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Why not the Reds? Why not now?

The Cards aren't what they were, although still the team to beat; the Astros are falling apart, and I'm not sure the Rocket can save them now. The Brewers are pesky, but still are what they are, the Pirates have been out of it forever, and the Cubs are still the Cubs.

With this new ownership's desire to win, I feel a lot better about moves being made this year to keep this up.

It sure as hell is fun, and I hope I don't think about Bengals football until football season, while the Reds continue their playoff run beyond that. How cool would that be???!?!?!

Turn Off Ads?