Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: According to Marc's blog... (Joe Mays recalled)

According to Marc's blog... (Joe Mays recalled)

Joe Mays is being called up tomorrow and Germano is being optioned to get more work. Marc says Narron makes it clear that Mays will be in the bullpen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: According to Marc's blog...

I would throw Mays into the rotation and move Claussen to the pen...what the heck could it hurt? Mays has looked good in AAA....
    Baseball is life

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed
    I would throw Mays into the rotation and move Claussen to the pen...what the heck could it hurt? Mays has looked good in AAA....

to tell you the truth moving BC to the pen may not be a bad option. they showed his numbers for the first 3 innings this season and they were good. i'm not saying mays would be a good option in the rotation but BC in the bullpen could help this club if we could find another starter.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

It ought to be Rick White that goes...no matter who they bring up or where they put them on the pitching staff. White is a sink hole.

got alil captain in u?

germano does need more work just sitting around aint doin him no good give whites innings to joe mays

Could White be out when Belisle(sp) returns? I also would like to see Brandon in the pen....

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I still contend that the Reds have one too many pitchers on the staff.

The starters are going deeper into games this season and Narron isn't able to give everybody enough work.

Dump one

Joe Mays couldn't hack it with the Royals. Why should the Reds give him a chance?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by roby
    It ought to be Rick White that goes...no matter who they bring up or where they put them on the pitching staff. White is a sink hole.
    Why White is still on this ball club is a mystery to me. If you want to call Mays up, fine. But I would wager Germano would do a better job than White.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred
    Could White be out when Belisle(sp) returns?
    That would be my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Why White is still on this ball club is a mystery to me.
    Oh you don't know? He keeps the starting pitchers humble by keeping their win totals lower, which in turn keeps their salaries down.
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    germano does need more work just sitting around aint doin him no good give whites innings to joe mays
    Germano was doing the same thing Belisle did when he was in the bullpen.
    Sit around most of the week and if he was lucky he got to pitch 1 inning.
    I know they are both supposed to be the long relief pitchers,
    but they need more work than once every 6 or 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed
    I understand your reasonig behind moving Claussen to the pen, but I just don't think he is the type of pitcher that will have much success as a reliever. Unless you use him as a situational reliever against left-handed hitters, I just don't like the idea of a left-handed finesse pitcher in the bullpen. Of course, Hammond throws that theory out the door, but I think he is an exception to the rule.

Claussen's problem is all in his head in my opinion. He needs more of a killer mentality instead of pitching soft like he currently does.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Joe Mays couldn't hack it with the Royals. Why should the Reds give him a chance?
    Cause he's a former Twin
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Simple answer.

Mays couldn't hack it with the Royals in a starting role. But from what Narron is saying, we aren't going to be using him as a starter -- just as a reliever for now.

Let's say he posts an ERA between 4.00 and 6.00 as a Reds reliever for the month of June. He could reasonably be expected to do that, based on his 3.20 ERA at Louisville.

If that happens, no, he's not going to replace Claussen in the rotation. But he would most likely dislodge White and his 7.25 ERA from the pen.

There's an advantage, however temporary, in using AL discards like Yan and Mays for bullpen service. NL batters haven't seen them. NL scouts don't have full reports on their weaknesses.

Eventually, in most cases, that edge gets erased. The positive potential of the "X" factor can be expected to weaken, and veterans like Yan and Mays most likely will start to fall to their career norms.

But if they can get us through the month of June, then they will have done their job. If they can keep us in the hunt, then we have bought the time to seek out even better relief options for a final playoff push. Since they come to us so cheaply, without us having to sacrifice true talent to acquire them, we have preserved our trading stock for when it really matters -- crunch time.

This is smart roster juggling on Krivsky's part. If Yan and Mays get religion and revitalize their careers, Krivsky again catches lightning in a bottle, the same way he's done with Phillips, David Ross, and yes, even Arroyo. If the results are less spectacular, no harm, no foul. We just move from Plan B to Plan C, or else expend a little more of our resources to implement Plan B+.

Turn Off Ads?