Turn Off Ads?

Thread: With 8th pick, Reds must wait and see

With 8th pick, Reds must wait and see

With 8th pick, Reds must wait and see

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

ST. LOUIS - Officials from the worst teams in the baseball last season spent Monday talking with agents for the top players in this year's draft, trying to get a feel for what it might take for them to sign.

The Reds hold the eighth selection in today's first round, beginning at 1 p.m., so they were left mostly to wait and see.

"I'm sure there are teams in front of us that are trying to talk money right now," Reds senior director of scouting Chris Buckley said around dinnertime Monday. "Being where we're at, eight, we're just deep enough down to not really know who's going to get there."

That limbo will hold right up until the Los Angeles Dodgers make their selection at No. 7, then it will be time for a quick decision.

The universally acknowledged leader in draft coverage, Baseball America, had the Reds selecting University of Texas outfielder Drew Stubbs in its latest mock draft Monday.

The Reds are interested in the speedy, versatile Stubbs, said Buckley, but they aren't certain he's going to be there. The same applies to one of the top pitchers in the draft, Tim Lincecum of the University of Washington, who Baseball America has dropping all the way to 15th.

"He's a guy we're definitely considering," Buckley said of Lincecum. "A college pitcher, not too far away (from the majors), had a good year."

But again, it's just a matter of waiting and seeing - and understanding the draft doesn't end there, even if the big bonus dollars and the hype might.

"He's got 50 decisions to make, not just one," Reds GM Wayne Krivsky said of Buckley.

And that's how it will play out, all the way through Wednesday's 50th and final round. Though Krivsky has the right to chime in at any point, he has said all along that this is Buckley's show.

Krivsky said Monday he had been sitting in on many of the meetings the amateur scouting staff had as the Reds assembled their draft board, but the decisions ultimately are Buckley's.

"I'm not telling them who to pick," said Krivsky, "but I am interested in the comments and the discussion and the reasons to like this guy or not like this guy. I've been in the room a lot, but not the entire time. I've got a lot of confidence in the people in that room to do what needs to be done."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606060325/1035
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: With 8th pick, Reds must wait and see

Both MLB and BA has Stubbs going to Cincy. Great.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Both MLB and BA has Stubbs going to Cincy. Great.
    On the plus side, at least we'll have phenomenol talent in the outfield to watch fly balls sail out of GABP in a few years with Bruce and Stubbs patrolling out there.

That's if Stubbs sticks with a wood bat after already struggling to measure up to power projections that were assigned to him in college.

I loathe the Stubbs pick.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    On the plus side, at least we'll have phenomenol talent in the outfield to watch fly balls sail out of GABP in a few years with Bruce and Stubbs patrolling out there.

That's if Stubbs sticks with a wood bat after already struggling to measure up to power projections that were assigned to him in college.

I loathe the Stubbs pick.
    BBA now has Andrew Miller falling all the way to Arizona at 12.

Isn't it great to be a small market team? First Kazmir, now possibly Andrew Miller.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Cruisin' for trouble

The latest on Miller is that there are some potential injury concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    The latest on Miller is that there are some potential injury concerns.
    I read that too. He and Joba.

Turn Off Ads?