Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official Reds Draft Selections

Re: 2006 Official Reds Draft Selections

Reed lives out childhood dreams

Ole Miss junior third baseman Chris Coghlan is first Mississippian selected in draft

By Rod Walker
    rwalker@clarionledger.com

Justin Reed needed just one word to describe his emotions after being selected in the fourth round of Tuesday's Major League Baseball amateur draft by the Cincinnati Reds.

"Breathtaking," said the 18-year-old center fielder who played his senior season at Hillcrest Christian after transferring from Callaway. "It's something that doesn't come along every day. Growing up, everybody always tells you to dream big and big things will happen. I had been dreaming this all my life, and now it's real."

Reed, the 114th overall pick, was one of a dozen Mississippians and the state's lone high school player taken on the first day (18 rounds) of the two-day draft. Ole Miss junior third baseman Chris Coghlan was the first Mississippian chosen, going in the supplemental round (the 36th pick overall) to the Florida Marlins.

Coghlan became the highest Ole Miss player picked since MLB began publicizing the order of draft selections in 1997. The highest pick previously was Michael Rosamond, a Madison Central product who was taken by the Houston Astros with the 42nd pick in 1999 and now plays first base for the Double-A Mississippi Braves.

Early indications suggest that Reed, an Ole Miss signee, and Coghlan, who has a year of eligibility remaining with the Rebels, won't suit up as teammates next season in Oxford. Not with possible six-figure salaries awaiting.

The players drafted 36th and 114th in last year's draft (Travis Buck and Justin Maxwell) received signing bonuses of $950,000 and $386, 000, respectively.

Reed seemed to have his mind already made up Tuesday, shortly after receiving the phone call from the Reds.

"I definitely plan on signing with them (the Reds)," said Reed, who planned to call Ole Miss coach Mike Bianco Tuesday night to inform him of his decision. "I never really followed the Reds, but I've always been a Ken Griffey Jr. fan. It's a good organization."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb.../1063/sports02

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds finish draft with balanced group
    Cincinnati goes to high school ranks more on second day
    By William S. Hupp / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- While the Cincinnati Reds heavily favored collegiate players on the first day of the First-Year Player Draft, more balance was achieved on the second day.

Fifteen of the 32 players taken on Wednesday in rounds 18-50 were from the high school ranks, including nine in a row at one point.

Cincinnati took 12 right-handed pitchers, two lefties, eight outfielders, six catchers, and four infielders.

All told, of the 50 players selected by the Reds in the draft, 32 were collegiate players -- 24 from four-year schools, and eight from the junior college ranks. A total of 18 high school players were picked during the two-day draft.

Of those players, the picks were split evenly between pitchers (25) and position players (25). The Reds took 19 right-handed hurlers, and four lefties. They selected 12 outfielders, nine infielders and six catchers.

The Reds picked up some Ohio flavor by drafting two local players: University of Cincinnati's Logan Parker (12th round), and Ohio University's Anthony Gressick (26th). Parker is a 6-foot-4, 220-pound first baseman from Odessa, Tex., and Gressick is a 6-3, 200-pound right-hander from Lancaster, Ohio.

This is the first draft for the Reds' new front office, led by owner Robert Castellini and general manager Wayne Krivsky. The front office entrusted senior director of scouting Chris Buckley to coordinate and oversee the draft process.

The Reds selected University of Texas center fielder Drew Stubbs with their first-round pick (eighth overall) on Tuesday. Buckley and Krivsky were both optimistic about the former Longhorn signing soon, but as of Tuesday, Krivsky had little to say about current contract negotiations.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/261665.html

Lutz Doesn't Last Long
    12:30 p.m.: Before the 19th round began this morning, BA's Alan Matthews wrote about Derrik Lutz, one of the top players left on our draft board. It didn't take long for Lutz to get snatched up, taken as the eighth pick of the day by the Cincinnati Reds. If healthy, Lutz profiles well as a reliever, the role he starred in at the Cape Cod League. Another Cape star off the board in the 19th was Loyola Marymount OF Chris Pettit. After not performing well in 2006, Pettit received very little attention, but the Angels liked the way Pettit handled a wood bat last summer, hitting 14 extra-base hits while swiping 15 bags.
    -- Bryan Smith
    Still On The Board
    12 p.m.: While 556 players were drafted Tuesday, there were a handful of noteworthy names with first-day talent that did no hear their names called. Most of them were high school players who had signability concerns, such as Jason Jarvis, a righthander from Chaparral High in Scottsdale, Ariz., who has signed at San Diego. George Washington righty Derrick Lutz was coming off a mediocre junior campaign, but nonetheless was expected to be taken on the first day, based on his outstanding summer in 2005. Lutz was a Baseball America summer All-American thanks to his performance in the Cape Cod League. He did not allow an earned run in 25 innings, notching 12 saves, 39 punchouts and three walks with Chatham. Elbow tendinitits held him back this spring, and his velocity and stuff had not been as consistently sound as they were last summer, which figures to be a factor in him not being taken Tuesday.
    -- Alan Matthews

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Reds finish draft with balanced group
    Cincinnati goes to high school ranks more on second day
    By William S. Hupp / MLB.com

Of those players, the picks were split evenly between pitchers (25) and position players (25). The Reds took 19 right-handed hurlers, and four lefties. They selected 12 outfielders, nine infielders and six catchers.
    William needs some math help. 19+4=23 pitchers. 12+9+6=27 position players.

i hope we rehabilitate lutz and put him in the closers role in the minors. he could be a big time steal

TALKS ON TRACK - No one expects the Reds' negotiations with top draft pick Drew Stubbs to drag on for too long.

"I think we'll be able to get him out there really quickly," Stubbs' adviser, Ryan Ware, said Wednesday. "That's not going to be a problem at all."

At the same time, there isn't a rush to get him on the field immediately, because he doesn't have anywhere to play right now. Stubbs likely will be assigned to Rookie-level Billings, and the Mustangs don't begin their season until June 20.

Ware said he expects Stubbs to be in the fold by then, adding that Reds fans will like what they see from his client both on and off the field.

"The Reds got a good one," said Ware. "Obviously, of course, any adviser or agent would say that - but I mean it."

The Reds wrapped up the draft Wednesday with rounds 19-50. Overall, Cincinnati took 23 players from four-year colleges, nine junior college players and 18 high school players.

The high school total took off in the later rounds, where players that actually work their way to the majors are few and far between. Among the first 32 players the Reds selected, only four were high schoolers - outfielder Justin Reed of Jackson, Miss., (fourth round), right-hander Josh Ravin of Chatsworth, Calif., (fifth), right-hander Brandon Rice of Griffin, Ga., (11th) and outfielder Tony Brown of Crestview, Fla. (23rd).

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....606080329/1035

Billings? That's a disappointment. I was hoping Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    "Most people don't know who a whole lot of these players are," Buckley said. "They don't know who we picked in the seventh, eighth round. They're not seeing these players on television. We've spent a lot of time. We had regional meetings, and our scouts did a very good job tracking them down."

sounds like they have been reading redzone.
    Or maybe they are paranoid...

i got to agree. i know he needs work batting with a wood bat, but ROOKIE for a 21 yo, 3 year college player. i dont quite get that. thats where you put your 18 yo kids. he should start in dayton, and mov bj over to left. and give me an of of Szymanski, Stubbs, Bruce to watch for a little while

Said it before and I will say it again, there is no logical reason that Stubbs should be in Billings for anymore than a week. If he is, I will be very disappointed.

Has anyone, outside of reporters, said anything about where Stubbs will be assigned? Until Krivsky says something about it, it's all speculation, there's no point in getting all fired up.

With that being said, I agree with NewEraReds, seeing an outfield of Syzmanski, Stubbs and Bruce would be nice.

I dont think anyone has said anything, but reporters do have access to the people in place who make those decisions and I would be willing to bet they have asked them.

Although Stubbs is advanced on the field, I think it is rare for a guy to skip Rookie League. I think the primary premise is for the adjustment from amateur ball to being a professional player. It's like being a trainee, even managers have to go through a period of adjustment. I would make more of where he starts next year.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Will signing information be on this thread or on a separate thread? Always interested in reading as these guys sign up, get assigned, etc.

I dont think anyone has said anything, but reporters do have access to the people in place who make those decisions and I would be willing to bet they have asked them.
    I agree, but you would think that if they had talked to a Reds official we'd see a direct quote from that person, but whatever, it's not that important.

Also, Id expect we'd see some movement throughout the minor league system pretty soon. Some guys moving up, others released, to allow some draftees and extended ST guys to fit in.

Turn Off Ads?