Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2006 Official Reds Draft Selections

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2006 Official Reds Draft Selections

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan
    I agree, but you would think that if they had talked to a Reds official we'd see a direct quote from that person, but whatever, it's not that important.

Also, Id expect we'd see some movement throughout the minor league system pretty soon. Some guys moving up, others released, to allow some draftees and extended ST guys to fit in.
    I doubt it much, as the only guys who will probably make it out of the GCL or Pioneer League would be the top 3 picks. The rest of those guys probably will be playing for the GCL Reds or the Billings Mustangs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Will signing information be on this thread or on a separate thread? Always interested in reading as these guys sign up, get assigned, etc.
    I was thinkng the same thing, Kc...perhaps another sticky thread is in order to keep track, as all these other draft threads are getting long and diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Although Stubbs is advanced on the field, I think it is rare for a guy to skip Rookie League. I think the primary premise is for the adjustment from amateur ball to being a professional player. It's like being a trainee, even managers have to go through a period of adjustment. I would make more of where he starts next year.
    for hs kids, yes, not college ones

MY personal thoughts are who gives a damn where the kid starts. If h is a bust and we snag 6 guys who see ML time debating the fact he was our first choice is inconsequential. Let the kid play and realize he was rated high by just about "every" orginization.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Adam Pointer, 22nd round pick, signs

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/s...-4088354c.html

June 9, 2006
    MIKE FORMAN - Advocate Sports Writer
    Adam Pointer's first pitching appearance at Alvin Community College wasn't his last.

Pointer hadn't pitched since his senior year of high school at Bay City, but he took the mound because the team needed pitchers for a fall game.

"I started throwing and when I was through, the scouts there told them how hard I was throwing," Pointer said. "When they found out, I became their closing pitcher."

Pointer's 90-plus mph fastball helped him compile a 3-1 record and a 2.00 ERA while saving eight games for Alvin this season. It also caught the attention of the Cincinnati Reds, who drafted him in the 22nd round on Wednesday.

Pointer signed with the Reds on Thursday and will report to their Gulf Coast League rookie team in Sarasota, Fla., on Saturday.

"I did a lot of long tossing from the outfield and my arm got strong," said Pointer, who had offers to attend Houston Baptist and Prairie View A&M. "I'm physically ready, my arm is live, and I feel like I'm at that point."

Pointer was primarily an outfielder at Bay City and after a redshirt season, began his career at Alvin in the outfield. He also played in the outfield this season, hitting .302 with two home runs and 21 RBIs.

But Manny Rodriguez, the area scout for the Reds, who coached Pointer during his freshman and sophomore years at Bay City, has no doubt Pointer's future is on the mound.

"He was throwing 91-92 early this season and when I saw him again he was up to 93-94 and topped out at 95," Rodriguez said. "He has the ability to come in and challenge people. All of a sudden he just turned it loose."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sean Watson might not be that bad of a pick he was projected to go to the Dodgers at 31 in BA final draft projection.

Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2nd round pick Watson sounds like a guy who is signing.

""It feels like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders," Watson said. "I'm really excited to get going and get out there and play again. The Cincinnati Reds have a great organization. And even though I'm excited, I feel bad to be leaving UT. I had three great years as a Vol, and I'll always consider Knoxville a second home."

Lutz going to play Cape Cod league to prove he his healthy.

http://www.pennlive.com/hssports/bas...900.xml&coll=1

Fell because of health concerns, will obviously play Reds against school.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I've got a Draft Roundup for '06 on the blog. The link below is the permanent one. I've used a ton of stuff from these threads, so I want to make sure credit is given where it's due.

http://reds.mostvaluablenetwork.com/...draft-roundup/

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/g...d18/c95138.jsp
    'The Raptor' ready to join Reds
    06/18/2006 8:58 PM ET
    By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

OMAHA -- Danny Dorn's teammates call him "The Raptor," jokingly describing the way the Cal State-Fullerton outfielder runs. While he may look a bit awkward as he moves, there is nothing unwieldy about the results he produces.
    Dorn, whom the Reds selected in the 32nd round of last week's First-Year Player Draft, was one of nine Titans drafted earlier this month. While he was the last to go, it certainly isn't a reflection of what he's been able to accomplish on the field or what he means to the team that staved off elimination Sunday with a 7-5 victory over Georgia Tech at the College World Series.

Cal State-Fullerton advanced to Tuesday's second-round game against the loser of Sunday's Clemson-North Carolina match-up. Though his teammates kid him, it's obvious how integral his role has been in the Titans' success. He's battled back from a shoulder injury that could have cost him the year, and though he hasn't gotten the recognition that some of the other cleanup hitters who have reached Omaha have, it's certainly not from lack of talent.

Dorn, who will report to Cincinnati's Pioneer League affiliate in Billings, Mont., later this month, spent a month out of action earlier this season, sitting from mid-March to mid-April while he rehabbed a dislocated shoulder suffered while sliding into second base. Though he was hitting .317 at the time of the injury, he didn't have any homers and had only nine RBIs.

Since his return, he's hit four homers and driven in 33 runs in 27 games. He was also in the middle of two Titan rallies on Sunday, including the one that produced the decisive runs in the top of the ninth inning. So while he won't get the recognition of someone like Clemson's Tyler Colvin (first round, Cubs), he has no complaints.

"I don't care about the publicity," said Dorn, who is 3-for-8 with four walks and an RBI through two CWS games. "There are so many great players here. If guys are on base, I'm just trying to drive in runs and play the outfield the best I can. All the pub and the press doesn't matter much when you're out there playing."

Dorn's sixth-inning single started the game-tying rally in the sixth on Sunday. He came around to score on a triple by Brandon Tripp (12th round, Baltimore). Clark Hardman brought Tripp home to tie the game at 4-4.

The Yellow Jackets took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the seventh on Matt Wieters' homer, a shot that a fan grabbed just before it would have settled in Dorn's glove atop the left field wall. Dorn said he never saw the fan.

"I'm not sure if it was fan interference," said Dorn, whose teammate, second baseman Justin Turner, was drafted in the seventh round by the Reds. "Some people say the ball was in my glove. But I hit the wall and I didn't feel anything. It happened so quickly, I didn't think anything of it. The fans were heckling me, but there's really nothing you can do about it. I came down and didn't have the ball in my glove. It was a little disappointing."

The shot seemed to put an end to the Titans' dreams of anther extended CWS run. And when Wieters, who came on to close the game for Tech, recorded the first two outs in the ninth with little trouble, it appeared as if Dorn would be headed to Billings earlier than he had hoped. But a single by Blake Davis and a double by Brett Pill brought Dorn to the plate for his biggest at-bat of the year.

"I was talking to Brett on the on-deck circle when Blake was up and told him they don't want me or you to get up," said Dorn, who lists Barry Bonds among his favorite players because Bonds is "the best there is."

"And the next pitch, Brett strokes a single."

Dorn didn't get the chance to play hero, though, because he was intentionally walked. But pinch-hitter Cory Vanderhook hit a slow chopper over the mound that took a funky bounce, allowing two runs to score and give the Titans a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

"When you're fighting for your life, you do whatever you can," Dorn said. "When I got to first, I looked at the first base coach and said I thought we could do something special."

The Titans and Dorn did just that. And though it delayed Dorn's pro debut by a few more days, he's not worried. He says joining the Reds will be the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, and if it takes a few more days for "The Raptor" to touch down in Montana, so be it.
    This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

This sounds like he must have an agreement in place. Hopefully his teammate Turner our 7th round pick has a similar agreement worked out.

Turn Off Ads?