Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,020

    Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Dunn would bring more pitching in return than Griffey could on the trade market. And losing Griffey would hurt the offense more than losing Dunn right now anyway.

    I know Dunn has the consistent OBP and will hit 40 homeruns every year, and he has many years of that level of performance ahead of him but... Time and again he doesn't produce in clutch game tying or game winning situations the way Griffey does. He doesn't hit strong pitching well the way Griffey can. He'll never have the rbi totals that elite power hitters produce. Let's face it. If the Reds are down 2 in the bottom of the ninth against a tough left handed closer (say Billy Wagner?) and Freel and Lopez are on 1st and 2nd. Would you feel more confident with Griffey or Dunn at the plate?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan
    Dunn would bring more pitching in return than Griffey could on the trade market. And losing Griffey would hurt the offense more than losing Dunn right now anyway.

    I know Dunn has the consistent OBP and will hit 40 homeruns every year, and he has many years of that level of performance ahead of him but... Time and again he doesn't produce in clutch game tying or game winning situations the way Griffey does. He doesn't hit strong pitching well the way Griffey can. He'll never have the rbi totals that elite power hitters produce. Let's face it. If the Reds are down 2 in the bottom of the ninth against a tough left handed closer (say Billy Wagner?) and Freel and Lopez are on 1st and 2nd. Would you feel more confident with Griffey or Dunn at the plate?
    I do believe Dunn would be traded before Griffey because we'd get alot more in returns. However, I doubt this will happen during the season, especially if we're still in it.

    I believe Dunn will be traded after this season. If not, sometime in 2007. He's due to make $10.5 million next and $13 million in 2008. That's too much for the low-cost Reds.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  4. #3
    Member paulrichjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Savannah, TN
    Posts
    2,879

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Can we sticky this thread? Not to be mean but in two weeks we will have another one just like it.

    I'm not judging the content just the fact that we seem to have at least one Griffey or Dunn needs to be traded thread per week. By the way we are 2 games out of first and the Stros, Cubs, and Cards are all hurting. Just saying
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

  5. #4
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Can we sticky this thread? Not to be mean but in two weeks we will have another one just like it.
    I honestly think that Dunn needs his own separate forum. I know he's a lightning rod for discussion, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

  6. #5
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Can we sticky this thread? Not to be mean but in two weeks we will have another one just like it.
    Heck, there's 3 going right now.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    He's due to make $10.5 million next and $13 million in 2008. That's too much for the low-cost Reds.
    I see signs that the Reds under Castellini are no longer the miserly team that they were under Lindner. I think that the group has a willingness to do some investment spending for the long-term.

    Anyone else think that?

    Rem

  8. #7
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I see signs that the Reds under Castellini are no longer the miserly team that they were under Lindner. I think that the group has a willingness to do some investment spending for the long-term.

    Anyone else think that?

    Rem
    Yes - I think the signs are there. Its early in his "reign" but still the signs are there......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    209

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I see signs that the Reds under Castellini are no longer the miserly team that they were under Lindner. I think that the group has a willingness to do some investment spending for the long-term.

    Anyone else think that?

    Rem
    Actually that's exactly what I was thinking. I he goes I don't think it will be just because of his contract. Personally I don't know how I feel about trading him. I guess I would trade him if we could get a real quality pitcher, but I mean a consistent All-Star quality pitcher, anything less I'd keep him.
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

  10. #9
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    I see signs that the Reds under Castellini are no longer the miserly team that they were under Lindner. I think that the group has a willingness to do some investment spending for the long-term.

    Anyone else think that?

    Rem
    Yep.

    That's the same reason I don't think they'll trade Griffey for nothing to just dump his salary.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Yep.

    That's the same reason I don't think they'll trade Griffey for nothing to just dump his salary.
    I posted the same thoughts on the ORG thread vis a vie Griffey to the Yanks. I picked two high profile, high paid players that are always subject to trade rumors, to a great degree because of their salaries, to iniate the topic but maybe it's time for its' own thead.

    Rem


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25