Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCoy on Kearns (and Ross, Griffey, and Freel)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

McCoy on Kearns (and Ross, Griffey, and Freel)

Kearns playing every day, wants to keep it that way
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS — A happy right fielder is a contented right fielder is a productive right fielder is an Austin Kearns.

Because he is playing every day, Kearns is as happy as a country boy in a barnyard and the Reds' right fielder is into full-bore production — .291, 12 homers, a team-leading 38 RBIs, 15 doubles.

Because Kearns has started 55 of the team's first 57 games, manager Jerry Narron didn't have him in the starting lineup Sunday. Kearns saw it and quickly talked his way into the lineup, a fortuitous event for the Reds when Kearns hit two home runs to help the Reds beat Houston, 6-4, in 11 innings.

"I had a day off our last game at home," said Kearns. "I've had plenty of days off, too many days off, the last two years. I'm rested." That was because of injuries and because the Reds kept forcing him to share right field. He no longer shares and he is what most baseball people thought he would be.

Narron kiddingly said he thought Kearns begged his way into the lineup because, "He didn't want his teammates dogging him about ducking pitcher Roy Oswalt."

Said Kearns, "I told him I don't care who's pitching, I want to play."

Of playing every day, Kearns said, "It has been a while and it is definitely giving me a different mind-set, a more positive outlook this year. I butted heads with some people (former GM Dan O'Brien) who aren't here any more. It was as much my fault as anyone's, because I let some things bother me. And now it's, 'Oh, well,' and you learn from it."

When Narron put Kearns' name back in the lineup Sunday, he told him, "If you get five hits, I'll ask you every time before I take you out of the lineup."

Said Kearns, "I tried." Narron, though, added that two home runs were as good as five hits.

"Oh, OK. I'm glad he settled for that," said Kearns.

Ross moves in

The first step toward David Ross catching the majority of the time was taken Monday when he was in the lineup to catch Brandon Claussen. Usually, Ross catches only Bronson Arroyo.

"He has been playing well, swinging the bat well and deserves to play more than once every five days," said Narron. "This will be the first time he's caught Claussen and we'll see if he can do something to get Brandon on a roll (3-6, 5.40)."

Jason LaRue is 0 for 26 and hitting .171, another factor in Ross's favor, but Narron said, "LaRue got off to a slow start last year and got hot about this time, so he can get hot."

Ross spent considerable time early Monday talking with Claussen and going over scouting reports.

"We'll try to get into a rhythm early," said Ross. "We talked about how he likes to attack them. The problem is knowing what a pitcher likes to throw when he is in trouble. We'll learn that and he has a good idea.

"It's hard when it's a rookie pitcher and he is afraid to shake off your signs," Ross added. "I told Claussen the more he shakes me off early the more it lets me know later in the game what he wants to throw in certain situations."

The disappearing Bahamas

Ken Griffey Jr.'s day was ruined Monday when he discovered he was in third place for National League outfielders in All-Star balloting. If he finishes in the top three, he is a starter — and he is only 20,000 votes behind second place Carlos Beltran.

Griffey appreciates the fan support, appreciates the All-Star game, but he has plans to spend the All-Star break in the Grand Bahamas with his family — and teammate Adam Dunn.

"If you go to Pittsburgh (for the All-Star game), I'm still going to the Bahamas on your boat with your family and I'm going to call you four times a day," said Dunn.

"No, you're not," said Griffey. "If I don't go (to the Bahamas), you don't go, either. In fact, I may insist that you come with me to Pittsburgh."

Two homers and sit

Ryan Freel hit two home runs Sunday, including the two-run game-winner Sunday in the 11th inning in Houston — and found himself back on the bench Monday against the Cardinals.

"With the players we have here, everybody has to play well for us all the time for us to win. So something like that is a nice problem to have (Freel on the bench)," Narron said.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Re: McCoy on Kearns (and Ross, Griffey, and Freel)

If Jr. gets voted into the All-Star Game, he definitely should go. The Bahamas can wait until the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    If Jr. gets voted into the All-Star Game, he definitely should go. The Bahamas can wait until the offseason.
    He'll go. He loves the game too much not to go, barring injury.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds

The All-Star game is a joke. He should go to the Bahamas.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Not a joke to me honestly. I still get a feeling of pride whenever the Reds rep is announced.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Hey, I thought Bud Selig and MLB had made it clear...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Hey, I thought Bud Selig and MLB had made it clear...

Bud can punt
    Go Gators!

saboforthird

AMEN to that! I think the last time I got a real kick out of the All-Star game was when Randy Johnson threw a blazing fastball right at John Kruk.

He pretty much said he'd go:

"If you go to Pittsburgh (for the All-Star game), I'm still going to the Bahamas on your boat with your family and I'm going to call you four times a day," said Dunn.

"No, you're not," said Griffey. "If I don't go (to the Bahamas), you don't go, either. In fact, I may insist that you come with me to Pittsburgh."
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't think it's a joke to the players.

Not only that, but a whole lot of fans don't take kindly to a player who blows it off.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I honestly liked it better when guys like Pete Rose played because they really really wanted to win. I honestly don't think one player cares if they win or lose...It's just an exhibition after all!:thumbdown
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Maybe they can vacation on the boat at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers.

If you dodge the river barges, its not too bad.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Guys in the old days loved getting the AS game off, guys in the old days all said their generation cared more.

Guys in the old days didn't have the cash to go to the Bahamas on the AS Break, they went home drank some beer and fixed the garage door.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Guys in the old days didn't have the cash to go to the Bahamas on the AS Break, they went home drank some beer and fixed the garage door.
    I was just thinking... "It would be great to plan a 3 day vacation to a foreign country for my family and a coworker/friend then have to cancel because of a work obligation. Ahhhhh, well... it's only money."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Great article on Austin, I like his change in perspective. He could whine about what happened last year, he's taking the high road and accepting responsibility.

Of playing every day, Kearns said, "It has been a while and it is definitely giving me a different mind-set, a more positive outlook this year. I butted heads with some people (former GM Dan O'Brien) who aren't here any more. It was as much my fault as anyone's, because I let some things bother me. And now it's, 'Oh, well,' and you learn from it."
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?