Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Believer since 1981

Re: 2006 Official Reds Draft Selections

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    :thumbdown

Thats about how I feel about Drew Stubbs.

thats a pretty shortsided attitude.. and why would you feel that way about stubbs?? It's not his fault the Reds didnt draft a pitcher... you should be happy we selected a great player with great upside... dont crap on his selection because you see the Reds need a pitcher on the big league club, and we didnt draft one in the first round. You dont address needs on the big club through the draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

What good is drafting pitchers if they can't be developed properly in this organization?

I have no problems with the Reds going this route instead of screwing up another expensive young arm.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Hey, we didn't take a HS pitcher. That should be cause for some kind of celebrating.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    What good is drafting pitchers if they can't be developed properly in this organization?

I have no problems with the Reds going this route instead of screwing up another expensive young arm.
    Word.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Hey, we didn't take a HS pitcher. That should be cause for some kind of celebrating.
    2 years running.

FWIW, I blame Adam Dunn for this fiasco. If he would of mentioned to the team to lose a couple more last summer, the Reds could have gotten Miller. Damn that Dunn for not being the leader he should be. Now he just has a Kinarms lol (Just kidding Adam).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Teams that develop pitching always sell for higher value than teams that develop hitting.

Going on that proposition -- that pitching is exponentially more valuable than hitting -- it makes little sense to ever draft hitting with high draft picks unless you're absolutely certain it will produce a can't-miss hitter.

If the Reds can't develop pitching, then the people in charge of development need to be fired and replaced with those who can; the team can't just bury their heads in the sand and tell their fans it's just impossible so why try?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm really disappointed in the pick. Obviously I'll give it time to see how he pans out, but this seems like a Bowden era pick of a toolsy outfielders. I really would've like to have seen Lincecum. The only debate I've heard around him is whether he's Billy Wagner or Roy Oswalt...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Teams that develop pitching always sell for higher value than teams that develop hitting.

Going on that proposition -- that pitching is exponentially more valuable than hitting -- it makes little sense to ever draft hitting with high draft picks unless you're absolutely certain it will produce a can't-miss hitter.

If the Reds can't develop pitching, then the people in charge of development need to be fired and replaced with those who can, not bury their heads in the sand.
    Developed pitching is much more valuable than developed hitting. Pitchers left to rot and eventually fall off the face of the earth have no value. You've got $2million on the line here. Which do you choose?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    thats a pretty shortsided attitude.. and why would you feel that way about stubbs?? It's not his fault the Reds didnt draft a pitcher... you should be happy we selected a great player with great upside... dont crap on his selection because you see the Reds need a pitcher on the big league club, and we didnt draft one in the first round. You dont address needs on the big club through the draft.
    I am not mad we didnt take a pitcher. I would have been fine had we taken Bill Rowell. I just cant believe we took Stubbs. When that many people question his ability to ever hit with a wooden bat, I dont see how you can take him at #8 overall.

Developed pitching is much more valuable than developed hitting. Pitchers left to rot and eventually fall off the face of the earth have no value. You've got $2million on the line here. Which do you choose?
    College hitters that can't make the transition to increased competition and the wooden bat rot and die as well.

Brandon Larson says "'Sup?"

It's a risk either way -- I take the risk with the higher payout in the longrun.

I can't say I like taking a closer with 11 saves and a 4.61 ERA in the second round.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I'm really disappointed in the pick. Obviously I'll give it time to see how he pans out, but this seems like a Bowden era pick of a toolsy outfielders. I really would've like to have seen Lincecum. The only debate I've heard around him is whether he's Billy Wagner or Roy Oswalt...
    Sort of like Chris Gruler's curve was better than Tom Seaver? The comparisons to star major leaguers for draft picks is really a silly game when you look at the flame out rate for draft picks. It also isn't fair to the pick. Not sure why scouts feel the need to do such comparisons.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I can't say I like taking a closer with 11 saves and a 4.61 ERA in the second round.
    He and Ryan Wagner look like they'll be bestest buds in the Reds farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

111 walks in 195 innings in his 3 years at Tennessee.

http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...on_sean00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    College hitters that can't make the transition to increased competition and the wooden bat rot and die as well.

Brandon Larson says "'Sup?"

It's a risk either way -- I take the risk with the higher payout in the longrun.
    Barry Larkin says "right back atcha".

Turn Off Ads?