Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Re: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Can't say I'm too impressed with the Watson pick either. Masterson or Wright (Hawaii) would have been better choices.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm almost never in favor of drafting a relief pitcher that high.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Don't buy the Wood bat arguement. That won't be his issue, whether he has the plate coverage will.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Barry Larkin says "right back atcha".
    Will Clark says hello too.

The Reds have had defensive problems and BP problems for a few years now, drafting for need seems to be the thing.. this is supposed to be the weak draft of the decade, chances are folks would cry "foul" about any pick.

Unless of course it's their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Last 3 #1 picks from the Lone Star state. We've got a bunch of guys the Astros want.
    and wasn't Sam Lecure UTs ace a few years ago?

So they're drafting juniors from "UT". What does this Watson guy throw? What's the scouting report on his stuff.

I hope we don't have the #8 pick too often but it seems to me we've blown an opportunity to make hay. Other suck years were followed up with draft picks like Larkin or Kearns. In an organization with Jay Bruce and Denorfia, why make this kid your #1 pick? Makes no sense to me. I'd take my chances on a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    I'm almost never in favor of drafting a relief pitcher that high.
    I have a feeling that'sexactly why the Reds passed on Lincecum. Unless you have lights out closer, which Lincecum is not, then you go elsewhere. They have Ryan Wagner reminding them not to draft relievers with high picks.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Will Clark says hello too.

The Reds have had defensive problems and BP problems for a few years now, drafting for need seems to be the thing.. this is supposed to be the weak draft of the decade, chances are folks would cry "foul" about any pick.

Unless of course it's their pick.
    I'd say that's true. It just happened that, to a man, just about everyone had Liencum rated over Stubbs on the draft board. Plus, there's just a general sense of "here we go again" whenever the Reds draft another player described in the scouting report as 'Toolsy.'

But, it's easy to overlook that by the time Stubbs is ready to make an discernable impact on the team, everything will probably look different at the ML level. What is a strength now (offense) could become a glaring weakness when Dunn's contract goes up, if Kearns and Lopez walk in Free Agency, and if Encarnacion never lives up to billing. If that happens, guys like Bruce and Stubbs might be saviors.

Still, I personally get worried when the franchise (by doing what it's done thus far) basically says "We're placing our eggs in Homer Bailey and Travis Wood's baskets." That's a risky way to live.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Still, I personally get worried when the franchise (by doing what it's done thus far) basically says "We're placing our eggs in Homer Bailey and Travis Wood's baskets." That's a risky way to live.
    Such is life with a bare farm system, unfortunatly.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

True, but they also drafted Gary Nolan/Wayne Simpson/Don Gullett and said the same thing once.

Cross you fingers and burn a candle.

Guys,
    I had some mod problems. I meant to move a couple posts in the 2006 Reds Draft picks thread to this thread, and accidentally deleted them. I'm sorry for that. I don't think there's a way I can recover them now and move them here like I intended.

paint-if you know of a way to do this, by all means, please do.

I apologize again for deleting your posts.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Guys,
    I had some mod problems. I meant to move a couple posts in the 2006 Reds Draft picks thread to this thread, and accidentally deleted them. I'm sorry for that. I don't think there's a way I can recover them now and move them here like I intended.

paint-if you know of a way to do this, by all means, please do.

I apologize again for deleting your posts.

It happens. I've done it too before. All you can do is apologize and try to make sure you don't do it again - because the posts, they now swim with Jimmy Hoffa.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Re: 2006 Official Reds Draft Selections

Not another Texan that strikes out.

50K's in 248 AB's. 41 Walks.

Although 58 RBI's on 12 HR's.

Show me round your snow-peaked mountains way down south
    Take me to your daddy's farm
    Let me hear your Chris Valaika ringing out
    Come and keep your comrade warm
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered

It happens. I've done it too before. All you can do is apologize and try to make sure you don't do it again - because the posts, they now swim with Jimmy Hoffa.
    Now if we could only figure out a way to get them back...

we could be rich!
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?