Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Re: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    I have a feeling that'sexactly why the Reds passed on Lincecum. Unless you have lights out closer, which Lincecum is not, then you go elsewhere. They have Ryan Wagner reminding them not to draft relievers with high picks.
    Lincecum doesn't have to be a reliever and it is rare that a pitcher will profile to have the best fastball and the best curveball in the draft. I don't care if he is only 6 feet tall hit stuff is off the charts, exactly the kind of pitcher the Reds DON'T have.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Lincecum doesn't have to be a reliever and it is rare that a pitcher will profile to have the best fastball and the best curveball in the draft. I don't care if he is only 6 feet tall hit stuff is off the charts, exactly the kind of pitcher the Reds DON'T have.
    I agree and Lincecum has shown great durability to date. The club might have a fear of short starters. I sure do everytime I see Roy Oswalt on the mound.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Reds take Justin Reed in the 4th, essentially the HS version of Stubbs. Scouting report says: "Very athletic, with a football scholarship to Ole Miss. Speed is his best tool, though he's shown vast improvement with the bat and in CF." Ugh
    Go BLUE!!!

Speed is his best tool, though he's shown vast improvement with the bat and in CF." Ugh
    Sounds like Branch Rickey pick

Folks the Reds are trying their best to find the 21st century version of Harry Craft.
    BTW that scouting report sounds like Curt Floods.

So far (including Loo) we have two defensive CF's with questionable bats, two SS's with questionable bats, and a closer with control problems. Only time will tell but color me unexcited (and I'm an optimist).
    Go BLUE!!!

I am not happy about the choice either, but with that in mind Stubbs is now a red and I will cheer for him and support him, and pray he makes a great impact
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I know in MLB especially you don't draft for need, but how, in a pitching heavy draft [argue quality if you want] do you not draft a pitcher that projects to start in the bigs?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

First off, I think we need to give a little more credit to WK. He knows what he is doing. You know drafting this year, has a big effect on how we draft next year too. Maybe he felt this was the time to get some defense.

I think drafting Stubbs compares to drafting a pitcher because he is so good on D. Remember all the run/hits/doubles differential between when Griffey and Freel play CF. Stubbs will automatically help our pitching staff.

Next years college arms should be a lot better, so he decided to go with some Offense and Defense this year. Why get mediocre arms when you can go full boar next year for pitching (atleast that would be my plan). I would have like lincecum as well, but I still dont mind the stubbs pick.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I think drafting Stubbs compares to drafting a pitcher because he is so good on D. Remember all the run/hits/doubles differential between when Griffey and Freel play CF. Stubbs will automatically help our pitching staff.
    If he can't hit it won't matter.

51roscoe

WK has done some great things since being hired, so I will stay optimistic on the picks.

Joshua Ravin in the 5th round rhp chatsworth HS.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

The Reed pick reminds me of the Lewis pick a few years ago. Lewis is now playing football at Va Tech.

These aren't Krivsky's picks.

By all accounts, they are Buckley's.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Info on Ravins:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0capsules.html
    13. Chatsworth (Calif.) HS (29-4)
    Baseball America's No. 1 team in 2003 and 2004 is again well stocked with top-line pitching--senior RHP Josh Ravin (4-2, 2.50) is one of the top prep pitchers in the country--and a deep lineup including juniors Matt Dominguez (.416-10-49) and Mike Moustakas (.482-12-51).
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    If he can't hit it won't matter.
    Nobody is ranked this high if they cant hit. I know that his hitting is a question mark, but only because he is a top 10 prospect. Say his fielding was mediocre, we would here how good his hitting is. He may field like a #1 draft pick, but he may hit like a 5th rounder. I think I'll take it.

Turn Off Ads?