Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Re: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

I must say I'm really disappointed in these picks so far especially Stubbs, we need starters, yes the O in the lower minors is lacking but pitching is what we need.

Oh well.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ravin's delivery is so easy. It doesn't even look like he is trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

OK I'll say it... Everyone misses DanO today.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Krivsky went with defense today, that is when of the key components to his system. Next year he probably goes pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't mind the first three picks. I'd have gone with HSers, given the way that the draft pool appears to look from my end, but I think that it's not illogical to try to take collegians-- and collegians at these positions in particular-- given the structure of the current organization.

a greater sense of urgency is welcome.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

The only thing I know about the players in this year's draft is what I've heard/read over the past 2 days so I can't judge who the Reds DID draft. I can say that with the Reds recent history of pitching ineptitude I'm surprised that they didn't load up on hard-throwing SP's to try to develop
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I seem to recall that Krivsky said a while back that the Reds would draft the best talent available when their choice came. I think the man kept his word.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    OK I'll say it... Everyone misses DanO today.
    NEVERRRR

Go Gators!

Take the best player available in each round instead of reaching to try to fill a need.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

The Twins are a tools organization. Krivsky is a tools guy. He values defense and speed and athletic ability. He believes in developing guys in the minor leagues.

The Twins have been very successful taking this approach, but that's not really my point. You can win with any number of approaches to scouting as long as you end up with good players at the major league level. It comes back to talent evaluation (amateur and professional) and development.

The development part is what is always forgotten. Will the kid work hard? Is he coachable? Do you have the right people in the organization to develop these kids?

Anyway, I'm surprised at the outrage over these picks. I could see the Twins making any of these selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Take the best player available in each round instead of reaching to try to fill a need.
    Is that really what was done though?

I don't know, my knowledge of draftable HS and College kids is just what I read once in a while, I just know some of the names I'm seeing aren't the names I expected to be seeing. I mean is Tubbs really a better talent than some of the pitchers?

Just asking, I don't really know.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Valaika's the only pick that's really irked me so far because I cant figure out what it is he supposedly does well.

Jordan Smith and Travis Webb interest me. Both certainly throw hard.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Justin "Red" Turner. Is there any doubt that this guy will end up in Cincinnati?

Bullpen jihad by Buckley, I know they really like Bailey and Wood, but they didn't stock up to many future starters.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Valaika's the only pick that's really irked me so far because I cant figure out what it is he supposedly does well.
    I did a little reading on him after the pick, and there's some stuff to work with. Defensively, he appears to be the classic "college shortstop who doesn't have great range but is reliable enough to play second" guy. Offensively, the pop is a plus -- .527 slugging this year -- and on-base is a minus. The walk rate is the biggest downer on his line.

The hidden upside is that he missed almost all of his sophomore season to injury and he's only 20 as of today, so he has more development left in him than the typical collegian.

So, in all, I think he looks like a reasonable stab at a second base prospect for the third round. The "utility guy" tag is what will happen if he doesn't get on base enough to play regularly.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?