Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

Re: Discuss Reds 2006 Reds Draft picks here

All right, 10 rounds in and a picture is starting to take shape. The Reds are now consistently taking college arms that weren't even all the coveted by their own colleges. So either the Reds scouts are seeing something others missed on a regular basis or the club might have just outsmarted itself.

Two other thoughts:

It will take some quality instruction to prevent this draft class from winnowing quickly (much like we've seen happen with the 2004 and 2002 classes).

Is Larry Barton Jr. still running the Cali/West Coast operation? If so, Buckley might have just thrown a lot eggs into a real suspect basket.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Is that really what was done though?

I don't know, my knowledge of draftable HS and College kids is just what I read once in a while, I just know some of the names I'm seeing aren't the names I expected to be seeing. I mean is Tubbs really a better talent than some of the pitchers?

Just asking, I don't really know.
    That is why you have scouts.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Round 11 begins...

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    OK I'll say it... Everyone misses DanO today.
    I do.....just for today and tomorrow...oh and he isnt allowed to make trade either. Just run the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    The Twins are a tools organization. Krivsky is a tools guy. He values defense and speed and athletic ability. He believes in developing guys in the minor leagues.

The Twins have been very successful taking this approach, but that's not really my point. You can win with any number of approaches to scouting as long as you end up with good players at the major league level. It comes back to talent evaluation (amateur and professional) and development.

The development part is what is always forgotten. Will the kid work hard? Is he coachable? Do you have the right people in the organization to develop these kids?

Anyway, I'm surprised at the outrage over these picks. I could see the Twins making any of these selections.
    I may be wrong, but one thing that always surprised me about the Twins' drafts were that they never seemed to land that flashy pick that every one was talking about. They would stockpile a bunch of no-names that would leave you scratching your head at the lack of talent.

Then, four years later, they had a farm system that was ranked near the top of the class.

This draft is certainly "Twin-like."
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Bullpen jihad by Buckley, I know they really like Bailey and Wood, but they didn't stock up to many future starters.
    10 rounds down. Isn't the draft 40 rounds? We got a ways to go.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

The draft is 50 rounds.

Hmm, methinks we're about to see a transition from college relievers to HS arms no one's ever heard of.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    It will take some quality instruction to prevent this draft class from winnowing quickly (much like we've seen happen with the 2004 and 2002 classes).
    It does appear as if they're looking at components rather than finished product. Like you said, that's a strategy that implies confidence in developing pitchers. We sure haven't had those instructors in our organization. Maybe Krivsky will go get them over the winter?
    Not all who wander are lost

As these picks continue to roll in I'm beginning to wonder if Buckley's main criteria for making a pick revolve around shot blocking ability and a baseline game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Is that really what was done though?

I don't know, my knowledge of draftable HS and College kids is just what I read once in a while, I just know some of the names I'm seeing aren't the names I expected to be seeing. I mean is Tubbs really a better talent than some of the pitchers?

Just asking, I don't really know.
    He can't hit AND he's fat???

I won't pretend that I know more about drafting players than the Reds scouting department but I'm very unimpressed thusfar. Choosing Stubbs over Lincecum or Drabek in the first round bothers me given the questions some scouts have about his ability to hit for average and his disappointing power numbers in college. I really hope he is able to develop into a quality hitter because his speed and defense would be a welcome addition to this ballclub in the future. Watson and Valaika are also questionable picks from what I've read though I don't know enough about either to comment intelligently on them.

On a semi-related note is there any idea where the Reds are going to start out Stubbs? Dayton or Saratoga would seem the two most logical destinations, which seems most likely?

I don't think it would be unfair to rate this as a bad draft. It doesn't have the flare of the 05 draft, nor is it the horridness that the post-Bailey 04 draft was either.

Considering the newness, things should get better next year(sorta like it did for DanO IMO).

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I don't like it on paper at all, but that doesn't mean some of these players won't pan out. It just looks like junk on paper.

For what it's worth, I'd say it looks the weakest of the last three years from a same-day perspective.

Yeah...It's pretty bad.

Not an eyebrow raiser in the bunch.

I'm bored.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?