Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk heating up of KGJ in Chicago

Talk heating up of KGJ in Chicago

I know its also been reported in NY, but there is starting to be a lot of chatter of the White Sox making a pitch to acquire Griff. They came very close last year. My question is this, right now, all factors included, would you trade Griffey (and his entire contract) straight up for Brandon McCarthy?

Do you think the Sox would do this? My answer to the last question used to be no but now I'm thinking they would. And if I'm Kriv, I think long and hard about this (as it is potentially a better version of the Arroyo trade).

Note: Personally, I would rather trade Kearns now that his value is back up if it could net us pitching, but I was curious to hear your take on this deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Talk heating up of KGJ in Chicago

Long term it's great short term you end any chance of making the playoffs this year in my opinion.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Don't trade anyone off this team. You don't drop key components from a team that is 2 games back in the division and a game up in the wild card.

If this keeps up for another three weeks or so, you add....not subtract.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Don't trade anyone off this team. You don't drop key components from a team that is 2 games back in the division and a game up in the wild card.

If this keeps up for another three weeks or so, you add....not subtract.
    Not unless you are the 1997 Chicago White Sox.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

As ridiculous as it may sound, some may argue that the trade could even help the Reds chances THIS YEAR. Now, not saying I neccessarily agree, but if McCarthy is that much of an upgrade over Claussen in the rotation, the Reds can still contend without Griff. We saw it happen in April.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Not unless you are the 1997 Chicago White Sox.
    or the 2000 Reds (which, may I remind you, eventually netted us Bronson Arroyo)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    or the 2000 Reds (which, may I remind you, eventually netted us Bronson Arroyo)
    Even though the Reds were in second place (I think) when Neagle was traded, I believe they were 9 or 10 games back of the Cardinals and were looking up at alot of teams in the wild card standings.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

If the White Sox trade McCarthy, I will eat 60 hard-boiled eggs.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I know its also been reported in NY, but there is starting to be a lot of chatter of the White Sox making a pitch to acquire Griff. They came very close last year.
    How close? Did it really come close? We heard talk about it. We hear talk about lots of things (like the Yanks). Is there anything "semi-official" that shows exactly how close the Junior to The White Sox deal was last season? Or was it just White Sox fans wishing for something and it never really came close?

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Who is chattering? White Sox fans or Kenny Williams?
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    We saw it happen in April.
    Yah - We were fine in April but that was when everyone was hitting everything....

But, look at the 1st 11 days of May. We were horrible.

We are going to ride JR all the way to the playoffs.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg
    Long term it's great short term you end any chance of making the playoffs this year in my opinion.
    Depends on what we get back, I'd rather punt on this year and set up a run of 3-5 years.

But that's just me I guess.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Even though the Reds were in second place (I think) when Neagle was traded, I believe they were 9 or 10 games back of the Cardinals and were looking up at alot of teams in the wild card standings.
    I believe it was eight games, but that was then...and even if we count Arroyo, who wants to wait six years for any kind of profit? Where is the optimism? Pujols is hurt, the Reds just swept Houston, Junior is leading the team's surge, shouldn't we be talking about getting Jon Garland for our prospects?

BTW, McCarthy hasn't looked too impressive this year.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

I can't understand why anyone would consider trading Junior with the team in the position they're in right now. I believe it's all wishful (and old) thinking coming from Yankee and White Sox fans. They still think the Reds are sellers....all of the time. They don't know there's a new sheriff in town.

For what it is worth, FOX Radio stated there was rumors of Griffey OR Dunn to the W. Sox.

Turn Off Ads?