PK TEAM PLAYER 
    31.  Dodgers 
    (for J. Weaver)  Preston Mattingly, SS
    H.S./Evansville, Ind.  
    32.  Orioles 
    (for B. Ryan)  Pedro Beato, RHP
    St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC.  
    33. Giants 
    (for S. Eyre)  Emmanuel Burriss, SS, Kent St.  
    34.  Diamondbacks 
    (for T. Worrell)  Brooks Brown, RHP, Georgia  
    35.  Padres 
    (for R. Hernandez)  Kyler Burke, OF/LHP
    H.S./Chattanooga, Tenn.  
    36.  Marlins 
    (for A. Burnett)  Chris Coghlan, 3B, Mississippi  
    37.  Phillies 
    (for B. Wagner)  Adrian Cardenas, INF
    H.S./Miami Lakes, Fla.  
    38.  Braves 
    (for K. Farnsworth)  Cory Rasmus, RHP/SS
    H.S./Seale, Ala.  
    39.  Indians 
    (for B. Howry)  David Huff, LHP, UCLA  
    40.  Red Sox 
    (for J. Damon)  Kris Johnson, LHP, Wichita State  
    41.  Yankees 
    (for T. Gordon)  Joba Chamberlain, RHP
    Nebraska  
    42.  Cardinals 
    (for M. Morris)  Chris Perez, RHP, Miami  
    43.  Braves 
    (for R. Furcal)  Steve Evarts, LHP
    H.S./Tampa, Fla.  
    44.  Red Sox 
    (for B. Mueller)  Caleb Clay, RHP
    H.S./Cullman, Ala.
    Looking at the list of teams involved this is almost a situation of the Rich getting Richer. I can see getting a team's first round pick in return but 4 of 44 picks for the BoSox, for instance, seems to be extreme. The teams involved losing these players are mostly high revenue squads, with a couple of exceptions. I can see the idea of compensating for the loss of a free agent but it isn't as if the players who are walking were largely homegrown.
    Any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are Supplemental picks fair?

Quote Originally Posted by klw
    Any thoughts?
    I think it is fair. Half these guys may never smell the Majors. I haven't seen past lists of sup. 1st round picks, but I would guess that not everyone turns into an average major leaguer.

I think it all started with small teams saying that they wanted some comp for losing a free agent. Then after a few years the small teams decided that they couldn't afford to keep someone until they became a free agent so you have the free agents being traded in their 5th or 6th year to the big teams. Then the large market teams that are signing the free agents also get the supplements for losing the free agents.

This seriously does seem like a never ending spiral.

Of course one good thing about that is...the supplementals go to the poor teams for their free agents after they have played a couple of years and the smaller teams almost do a draft 2 years after the kid has been initially drafted.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I think it all started with small teams saying that they wanted some comp for losing a free agent.
    Actually the loudest booster for compensation picks was none other than Bob Howsam. To quote the Players Relations Commitee chairman Greby, Bob Howsam said over and over during meetings.. "When am I going to get my compensation, when will I get my compensation?"

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It's because the only teams that have the money to sign top-end free agents (i.e., the ones that get you picks) are the ones that had the money to pay the guy before he left as a FA.

I don't have a problem with compensation picks. Many small-market teams don't get them because they have to trade the FA-to-be for major-league talent or close-to-ML talent because they have holes that must be filled somehow.

Until the draft is globalized it will never be fair.

IMO, the way to really make things fair is to slot all the signing bonuses in the draft. The signing bonus is based on the position you are picked in, no negotiation. Of course, the kid is free to go back to school or play in the independent leagues to raise his stock and try to get picked higher next year.

Part two: Money from baseball's central fund is set aside to fund the draft. Since all the picks are slotted, it would be fairly easy to budget. Signing bonuses are paid from this money.

This basically would give small market teams no excuse to not pick the best player available. No more "signablity" picks. No more players demanding a 10 million bonus and ML contract. Everyone wins. It helps the small market teams more, because now the large market teams are basically subsidizing the draft. It also prevents talented Boras players from slipping to the 12th round and getting picked by a large market team which will give them their demands (that hurts small market teams more than the comp picks, IMO).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

In the next CBA, the "Luxury Tax" should have added provisions that require forfeiture of supplemental picks for all teams that spend over $X million in salaries in a given season.

As to "Signability" issues -- baseball should set a "draft cap" that limits the amount of money that can be paid, in total, to all draft picks much like the NFL does. Honestly, I can't see why that hasn't already happened -- it wouldn't be a collective bargaining issue due to the fact that the MLBPA does not represent players signed to minor league deals.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

GOREDSGO32

I don't think its fair. If you want supplemental picks, put them all the way at the end of the draft. If someone loses a free agent, and another team gains that player ... what about the other 28 teams that had nothing to do with it? Just because you make a deal with someone in line, does that mean you get a free pass over everyone else in the line too?

Just because you make a deal with someone in line, does that mean you get a free pass over everyone else in the line too?
    Yes, because those teams that you are competing against are also your business partners, it's a fine line in that sort of give and take, but the rules were cut with a majority vote of all the teams, not just the big guys, not just the small guys.

Another positive step would be allowing the trading of draft picks. A small-market team with a high draft choice should be able to trade it for something useful rather than make a "signability" pick.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz
    Another positive step would be allowing the trading of draft picks. A small-market team with a high draft choice should be able to trade it for something useful rather than make a "signability" pick.
    The problem I have with that is that I could see a John Allen type starting to trade the first round pick every year for cash. Saves the club the signing bonus and brings some cash in.

Another problem I see is that the Reds draft a kid, and the next day, he demands to be traded to the Yanks. I don't want draftees to be able to exert pressure like that (Kind of like how Kobe Bryant pressured a trade to LA when he was drafted, and a couple other NBA draftees did as well).

At least under the current system, you're forced to sign the kid and try to develop him for a year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?