Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who would you compare Stubbs to?

Re: Who would you compare Stubbs to?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Obviously not. I'm just saying BJ and Bruce have about the same in common with Stubbs. Zero.
    Ok good, that is what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    OK...how do you feel after reading this?

How involved does Krivsky expect he'll be in the draft process?

"Very little," Krivsky said. "I'll be listening and asking questions."

The heavy lifting belongs to Buckley and Reds scouts. It's not surprising that Krivsky is delegating this responsibility. Krivsky's boss and mentor for over a decade in Minnesota, GM Terry Ryan, gave his scouting director complete control of the Twins' draft.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...2006&fext=.jsp
    We took his type of players. He had something to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Believer since 1981

Do you think the Reds honestly thought those were the best players available in each round?

Yes, they did think they were the best available players or they wouldnt have drafted them. I cant believe the amount of credibility given to a publication that has scouts that cant get jobs for real baseball teams. Blows my mind. Do you honestly think the Reds draft team said, hey i know we can get Linecum.. hes the best player on the board, but maybe we should draft Stubbs instead. That is not only insane, but idiotic to think that is the thought progression. There are people that are murdering this draft, and I really think this regime deserves the benefit of the doubt to have formulated a plan, and give a chance to execute the plan... if this draft doesnt pan out.. then there will be cause for concern... the cause for concern is not the night of the draft. You must have some faith, and confidence that this new group will get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    Do you honestly think the Reds draft team said, hey i know we can get Linecum.. hes the best player on the board, but maybe we should draft Stubbs instead. That is not only insane, but idiotic to think that is the thought progression.
    OK. You are entitled to your opinion. But I think they might have said "Lincecum might want more than Stubbs", or "Anderson might want more than Watson." If you refuse to believe that those conversations in no way happened this afternoon, then I think you need

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    Yes, they did think they were the best available players or they wouldnt have drafted them. I cant believe the amount of credibility given to a publication that has scouts that cant get jobs for real baseball teams. Blows my mind. Do you honestly think the Reds draft team said, hey i know we can get Linecum.. hes the best player on the board, but maybe we should draft Stubbs instead. That is not only insane, but idiotic to think that is the thought progression. There are people that are murdering this draft, and I really think this regime deserves the benefit of the doubt to have formulated a plan, and give a chance to execute the plan... if this draft doesnt pan out.. then there will be cause for concern... the cause for concern is not the night of the draft. You must have some faith, and confidence that this new group will get things done.
    I will give you the following example
    2004, #1 overall, Matt Bush

No one, and I will repeat, No one thought Matt Bush was the #1 player available in the draft. He however was a cheap signing compared to others.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Do you think the Reds honestly thought those were the best players available in each round?
    Why would I not? They're not going to get a bargain in Stubbs, he was too highly regarded to be happy taking less than slot money. I don't know of any later picks that wouldn't have signed for what Stubbs will get.

In the later rounds, other than LaPorta, I'm having a hard time thinking of premium talent that fell strictly due to signability -- and I'm being generous calling LaPorta a premium talent. Now, there are probably guys that were on the board that wouldn't sign for that pick's slot money, for whatever reasons. It's nice to take a few stabs at those guys, but just because a guy demands to be paid more doesn't mean he deserves to be.

You're conditioned by the Reds history to assume that if they don't take the player you want, it's because they're cheap, rather than an honest disagreement over player evaluation. That's fine, but until I see actual evidence of them going cheap, I'll assume the new guys are picking players they want.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Why would I not? They're not going to get a bargain in Stubbs, he was too highly regarded to be happy taking less than slot money. I don't know of any later picks that wouldn't have signed for what Stubbs will get.

In the later rounds, other than LaPorta, I'm having a hard time thinking of premium talent that fell strictly due to signability -- and I'm being generous calling LaPorta a premium talent. Now, there are probably guys that were on the board that wouldn't sign for that pick's slot money, for whatever reasons. It's nice to take a few stabs at those guys, but just because a guy demands to be paid more doesn't mean he deserves to be.

You're conditioned by the Reds history to assume that if they don't take the player you want, it's because they're cheap, rather than an honest disagreement over player evaluation. That's fine, but until I see actual evidence of them going cheap, I'll assume the new guys are picking players they want.
    How do you read this statement?

Talking to reporters on a conference call from Austin, Stubbs said he expected to sign quickly.

"The way we've been talking recently, we pretty much came to an agreement that I wouldn't be difficult to sign if I was drafted," he said. "I'm not sure how quick the actually signing will take place. When it comes to negotiations, I'm think all that's pretty much ironed out and I won't be a problem to sign at all."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Talking to reporters on a conference call from Austin, Stubbs said he expected to sign quickly.

"The way we've been talking recently, we pretty much came to an agreement that I wouldn't be difficult to sign if I was drafted," he said. "I'm not sure how quick the actually signing will take place. When it comes to negotiations, I'm think all that's pretty much ironed out and I won't be a problem to sign at all."

"The way we've been talking recently led me to believe the Reds are willing to offer fair money and I will sign easily."
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

"The way we've been talking recently led me to believe the Reds are willing to offer fair money and I will sign easily."
    So to negotiate with a guy before the draft when you have the eighth pick doesn't mean that $ has no bearing on whether this person will be drafted or not?

Of course it does. If the guy asks for crazy money you pass on him. I've not argued one time that $$ doesn't play a part in the MLB draft. I've just argued that you can't at any point show evidence as to where Stubbs was picked over a better player on the Reds board.

You can't.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I remember Homer Bailey saying much the same thing. He wasn't a signability pick and didn't come cheaper. These guys want to sign and get moving.

BTW, let's stick to one board. I'm getting dizzy. I just realized it was you over on Reds Live.

Listen, I hope Stubbs does awesome. I really do. I hope the whole draft goes crazy and Cincy has the best farm system b/c of it. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. I can't wait to buy a Stubbs jersey.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It means he's not going to dump his agent, hire Scott Boras and demand to be paid more than the eighth pick of the draft should expect to get. And I expect the Reds will pay what the eighth pick of the draft should expect to get. Remember, we're talking about a guy who's been considered a Top-10 pick for awhile, not a Jeremy Brown that's going to be grateful for whatever is offered. That's not a "cheap-out" pick, particularly when the two guys who were unquestionably worth going over slot in my opinion -- Miller and Hochevar -- were off the board.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Stubbs reminds me of a young Jim Edmonds, with the attitude to go with it.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 06-07-2006 at 02:22 PM.

BTW, let's stick to one board. I'm getting dizzy. I just realized it was you over on Reds Live.

Listen, I hope Stubbs does awesome. I really do. I hope the whole draft goes crazy and Cincy has the best farm system b/c of it. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. I can't wait to buy a Stubbs jersey.
    I havent' been arguing that you should like this pick and be a Reds draft homer. Lord knows the history isn't with anything Reds FO. I was just debating this being a $$ pick, that's all.

Turn Off Ads?