Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who would you compare Stubbs to?

Re: Who would you compare Stubbs to?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    It means he's not going to dump his agent, hire Scott Boras and demand to be paid more than the eighth pick of the draft should expect to get. And I expect the Reds will pay what the eighth pick of the draft should expect to get. Remember, we're talking about a guy who's been considered a Top-10 pick for awhile, not a Jeremy Brown that's going to be grateful for whatever is offered. That's not a "cheap-out" pick, particularly when the two guys who were unquestionably worth going over slot in my opinion -- Miller and Hochevar -- were off the board.
    And I agree to a point. I have less of a problem with Stubbs than the picks in rounds 2 and 3. There were some legitimately ranked choices there and we got a reliever and a SS. Check out what BA said about the DBacks.

Dan from Chandler AZ asks:
    Talk about the Dbacks Draft. Obviously they went heavy on pitching. Good Selections??? Thanks for the chat

A: John Manuel: Hey everyone . . . let's dive in because it's been an exhausting day. The Diamondbacks once again come out looking good on the draft's first day. Their first four picks were pitchers I'm fond of in Max Scherzer (who, when healthy, is as good as any pitcher in the draft); a power arm in Brooks Brown, who needs to get his mechanics straightened out but at the very least can be a productive reliever; Brett Anderson, a steal in the second round as a three-pitch lefty with a knack for the strike zone and plenty of polish; and Dallas Buck, a warrior who will be a huge steal if his stuff ever returns to 2005 form. So yeah, I think they've done well. I also am a Hector Ambriz apologist, I just like two-way guys who seem to get better when they focus on pitching.

Cincy could have had Scherzer, Anderson or Buck in the first 3 rds, all starters. Would you have really rather had a SS, OF and RP over at least one of those starters? And I'd be willing to bet that Anderson and Buck sign for more than who the Reds took in those rounds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think you can beat the deadhorse with the argument regarding signability. The REDS have obviously evaluated their talent and determined that even where they fell they were not worth the money. I would say that the REDS made a bad decision if they turn out to be contributors and signed for less money than the REDS thought that they were worth. BA has not been to each camp and high school so I don't think there is a disaster.

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Stubbs reminds me of a young Jim Edmunds, with the attitude to go with it.
    If he can cut down on strikeouts, the Edmonds comparison is definitely there.

Right now, he reminds me of Torii Hunter more than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

For the record, Edmonds has been a bit of a strikeout machine himself in his career...

Mind you, that does not bother me, as a K to me is just another out, but it is definitely a part of Edmonds' make-up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    They took a guy with a 4+ ERA and a 1.48 WHIP with their second pick. Nowhere that I could find was he mentioned anywhere going anymore near where he went.
    Someone picked him for me with the Mariners 3rd pick (5th position of the round) in the mock draft, so his name was out there somewhere. But then I've already pointed out the flaw in your "overdraft" logic elsewhere.

Didn't you argue recently that ERA wasn't a good stat to use?

So, does a 2.85 ERA with 82 Ks in 79 IP look any better when he split time between starting and relieving in 2005?

Good size, 4 pitches, decent K-rate, one year removed from some really strong numbers, just doesn't seem like such a gigantic reach to me. But I had to go a little farther than one link to see what the Reds might be seeing in the guy.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    so did BJ
    The continued comparison of Szymanski and Stubbs is invalid. The only similarity is in their athleticism. Stubbs is a polished player and has been presented as such, Szymanski was a raw athlete with some success on the diamond, but it was clearly acknowledged that he was a project. Just because the word "high ceiling" was used with both doesn't mean they are regarded the same coming in.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Rusty Greer.

Stubbs could beat Rusty in a fifty yard dash running backwards.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The continued comparison of Szymanski and Stubbs is invalid.
    Stubbs has played a higher level of competition than BJ in college but the comparison is valid due to scouts questioning their ability to hit. Maybe the question is smaller in the case of Stubbs but it is still there.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

ha ha, I know....I was sort of TIC, but as far as hitting goes, Rusty was on top of his game for about 4 years ('96-99). Hopefully Stubbs hits something like that.

Actually, I think the Torii Hunter comparison is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Stubbs has played a higher level of competition than BJ in college but the comparison is valid due to scouts questioning their ability to hit. Maybe the question is smaller in the case of Stubbs but it is still there.
    How many players in any draft are going to have the skill set of Stubbs? He's got freakish athletic ability and he's somewhat polished already. I'm really surprised with the lack of high ceiling players in this draft that Stubbs get's questioned.

I honestly think he was the best positional player in this draft and I would have only wanted Miller or Hochever over him.

I've beaten this horse enough though. Just gotta wait to see how he performs.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    How many players in any draft are going to have the skill set of Stubbs? He's got freakish athletic ability and he's somewhat polished already. I'm really surprised with the lack of high ceiling players in this draft that Stubbs get's questioned.

I honestly think he was the best positional player in this draft and I would have only wanted Miller or Hochever over him.

I've beaten this horse enough though. Just gotta wait to see how he performs.
    BP in their series on draft analysis noticed that college OFs fared worse than a number of other positions. They speculated that it could be because teams are willing to draft very athletic players in the OF whose bat is still a projection (the case with Stubbs). Draft analysts also speculated that in an good year for position players (like 2005) Stubbs would have been a late first round pick.

Turn Off Ads?