Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who would you compare Stubbs to?

Re: Who would you compare Stubbs to?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Stubbs is a prototype Twins guy. Speed and defense.
    Out of the top 3 picks, Stubbs might be my favorite. The other 2 kill me. Brett Anderson was ranked 19th by BA and we took Watson who was 58th. Our 3rd pick was 121st in the nation. Here's BA's take on him: He can play second base and has enough arm for third, making him an ideal utility infielder.
    We need pitching more than a utility guy. Buck (48) and Britton (59) were still out there. Now I am not saying BA is the crystal ball, but that's one draft authorities take on the draft beforehand.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I keep thinking a righthanded Steve Finley. How is that for a comp? Crazy or sane?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/finlest01.shtml
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Clicking on the transactions associated with Finley one again reminds me of the Pete Harnish, Curt Schilling, and Steve Finley for Glenn Davis trade.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Out of the top 3 picks, Stubbs might be my favorite. The other 2 kill me. Brett Anderson was ranked 19th by BA and we took Watson who was 58th. Our 3rd pick was 121st in the nation. Here's BA's take on him: He can play second base and has enough arm for third, making him an ideal utility infielder.
    We need pitching more than a utility guy. Buck (48) and Britton (59) were still out there. Now I am not saying BA is the crystal ball, but that's one draft authorities take on the draft beforehand.
    All that is referring to is he has the ability to play multipe infield positions. It doesn't mean he will never be more then a utility guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Now I am not saying BA is the crystal ball
    Well, at some level you believe they're more credible, or you wouldn't be criticizing the Reds for not going by their rankings.

I see the same thing during football recruiting season, for what it's worth -- fans will blast their coaches for landing a three-star player instead of a four-star, and never mind that the coaches have spent more years evaluating players and more time evaluating those players. As fans, we want validation, not "trust us, we know what we're doing."
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Well, at some level you believe they're more credible, or you wouldn't be criticizing the Reds for not going by their rankings.

I see the same thing during football recruiting season, for what it's worth -- fans will blast their coaches for landing a three-star player instead of a four-star, and never mind that the coaches have spent more years evaluating players and more time evaluating those players. As fans, we want validation, not "trust us, we know what we're doing."
    Well put Island. Fickle Ohio State fans wanted to see if they could pull 3 star prospect AJ Hawk's scholarship so that they could give it to a 5 Star 5-11 MLB named Buster Davis. Davis is a nice college player, but he is no AJ Hawk. I learned long ago to trust Jim Tressel and his ability to evaluate talent. I just hope that in a couple of years I have the same trust in Team Krivsky.

Further drifting from subject. Malcom Jenkins is the best db freshman I have ever seen in the Big Ten. Most Buckeye fans hated his offer.

It happens.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed

Do you think the Reds honestly thought those were the best players available in each round?

Do you think the Reds honestly thought those were the best players available in each round?
    Wayne has brought us Brandon Phillips, David Ross, and Bronson Arroyo.

Whatever he wants to do, I trust him.

He drafted "his type" of players, and I trust in him and those players.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I've read that Stubbs has one of the higher ceiling's in the draft.
    so did BJ
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    so did BJ
    So did Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    so did BJ
    And he has nothing to do with Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    So did Jay Bruce.
    Wait you aren't dogging Bruce are you? It's his 1st full year, and he is 19.

Wayne has brought us Brandon Phillips, David Ross, and Bronson Arroyo.

Whatever he wants to do, I trust him.

He drafted "his type" of players, and I trust in him and those players.
    OK...how do you feel after reading this?

How involved does Krivsky expect he'll be in the draft process?

"Very little," Krivsky said. "I'll be listening and asking questions."

The heavy lifting belongs to Buckley and Reds scouts. It's not surprising that Krivsky is delegating this responsibility. Krivsky's boss and mentor for over a decade in Minnesota, GM Terry Ryan, gave his scouting director complete control of the Twins' draft.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...2006&fext=.jsp

Wait you aren't dogging Bruce are you? It's his 1st full year, and he is 19.
    Obviously not. I'm just saying BJ and Bruce have about the same in common with Stubbs. Zero.

Turn Off Ads?