Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Shawn Estes

I am not trying to start a riot, but why is everyone so high on Gullett?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ramp, because he is the best.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Originally posted by ramp101
    I am not trying to start a riot, but why is everyone so high on Gullett?
    Because unlike a guy like Jeff Torborg, who destroys pitchers, guys like Gullet actually revive them.

Originally posted by cincinnati chili

Because unlike a guy like Jeff Torborg, who destroys pitchers, guys like Gullet actually revive them.
    what has he done recently?

demp is struggling,moeheler isnt improving......really what has he done?

and jeff torborg is a manager not pitching coach

I don't think Gullett had that much to do with Schourek.....Pete became dominant because he finally came back from major arm surgery and got his 93 mph fastback back. Si I am not sure that I agree with the comparisons to Schourek.

But to me, Estes is the perfect Gullett project. A guy who somewhere along the line lost the mental part of the game. Don is perfect for these guys.

Gullett is very good at taking guys off the scrap heap and turning them into average to above average pitchers, but is that really the best course of action for the Reds?
    He does not seem to be good with the younger guys, and for the Reds to get better over the next few years, they're going to need to get good results from the young guys.

All dyslexics must untie!
    "I don't think Gullett had that much to do with Schourek"

This is incorrect. Don spotted a flaw in Pete's delivery (something about how Schourek took the ball from the mitt and into the pitching motion, IIRC) and the change immediately improved Pete's command and velocity. Schourek was runner up for the Cy Young the year after joining the Reds, but before Gullett worked with him he was a soft-tossing journeyman lefthanded pitcher

I don't recall reading that Schourek ever threw 93 mph, prior to major arm surgery. He threw junk in the Met's bullpen because he didn't trust his fastball
    Never overlook the obvious

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Originally posted by ramp101

what has he done recently?

demp is struggling,moeheler isnt improving......really what has he done?
    Let's see... Moehler is coming around. Dempster had a solid start Dempster article Bruce Chen is much improved. Chen article Jimmy Haynes looks better this year than ...uh, ever! Elmer Dessens...ditto! Dessens comment - see 04.05 He somehow got Mark Wohlers to throw strikes...now that was a miracle. Wohlers article He revived Pete Harnisch's career. While your thinking of it, look up Steve Parris and Ron Villone's stats to see who their pitching coach was during their 'career year's.

...and that's just the recent stuff.

Here's another little trick, go to Google and type in "best pitching coach in baseball" (with the quotes) and see whose name shows up. Probably Joe Kerrigan (who's no longer a pitching coach) and Don Gullett...that's all.

Hopefully this answers your question.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

so Gullett has this power to make crappy pitchers into decent ones? has he ever had the chance to work with any youngsters before this year?

[i am not being sarcastic with anything i wrote above]

Gullett's ability to resurrect veteran pitchers is noted throughout the game...if the Reds don't make a serious offer to kkep him someone else will jump all over him. His one question mark as a coach is working with young pitchers - he and Tomko didn't get along and Acevedo has been up and down, Reitsma is coming along but I think Don would really like to put that question to rest once and for all. He'll get his chance real soon because he's going to have a slew of kids over the next 2-3 years, plus Chen and Dempster to work with. I think he can work with younger pitchers but a lot of the guys we've had have been highly over hyped. Bell has sucked in Texas, Tomko has only just begun to pitch in any form that appears decent, both were a lot better in hype than reality. Give Gullet real talent and I think you'll see results. Reitsma is a start but wait til he gets Dempster for a whole season and gets to work with Hudson/Howington/Aramboles/Moseley/Gruler/Basham/Kelley et al. Then we can make a judgement. I believe it will a good one.

Turn Off Ads?