Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Estes

Another California guy, how cool, Aaron just got a new best friend. and the club house just got a lot better looking. Seriously, Shawn has great potential *there's that word again*. Maybe the change to Cincy is just what he needs to get things turned around.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I just read that he is a free agent at the end of the year. Also, what signal does this send to the Mets fans and players? I guess they have given up.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

He's going to be a free agent

Estes will be a free agent after this season:

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0815/1418421.html

The Mets are paying ALL of his salary.

On the one hand, temper your enthusiasm. Pac Bell and Shea are two of the best pitchers parks in the major leagues, and he's been mediocre there.

On the other hand, I know nothing about these prospects, and commend Bowden for trying.

Note: He LOVES to walk batters. Be patient. He'll drive some of you crazy.

"I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

According to a contract site, Estes has a one year deal for $6.2 million plus incentives. Obviously the Mets must have paid the rest of his salary.

I was one of the people who said Estes had no guts. However, he has always had major POTENTIAL, he has just never harnessed it. However, I think a few sessions with Gully could go a long way with a guy like him. If he gets it together I will be the first person to call myself an idiot.

Yet another good trade by Jimbo. For all the people bashing him about never acquiring pitching, he has gotten Dempster, Estes, and Moehler at the cost of Dmitri Young, Espy, Wilton Guerrero, Ryan Snare, and two mid to low level minor leaguers. That is damn good trading. Pretty soon I will have to start a 'Jimbo is the man' thread.

Remember, even if Estes only stays the rest of this year, we will have him against the Cards, who really struggle against lefty pitching.

Originally posted by Redny
    I just read that he is a free agent at the end of the year. Also, what signal does this send to the Mets fans and players? I guess they have given up.

well, they ARE 20 1/2 games out in the division, and nine out in the wildcard.

PSR

I've never even heard of these prospects. Seems like a good deal and we don't even have to pay this guy. Estes isn't bad...I'll give him a chance.

All dyslexics must untie!
    "I wonder who goes away?" (to make room for Estes)

I'm guessing Reidling gets DL'ed. But it wouldn't surprise me if Larson is deemed "expendable" or the FO says "Brandon needs regular at bats at Louisville" etc

"Andujar, who was batting .286 with five homers and 20 RBI for Billings of the rookie Pioneer League. Andujar, 21, will report to Class-A Brooklyn."

Talk about your drastic changes of scenery/culture
    Last edited by gm; 08-15-2002 at 05:27 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Originally posted by Raisor
    OK, now the question is, how fast will it take the people that called Estes "soft" and "gutless" a month ago to now jump on the Shawn Estes bandwagon?

PSR
    He's still soft and gutless, and the Reds are too far back for this to make any difference.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Originally posted by gm
    "I wonder who goes away?" (to make room for Estes)

I'm guessing Reidling gets DL'ed. But it wouldn't surprise me if Larson is deemed "expendable" or the FO says "Brandon needs regular at bats at Louisville" etc

I doubt they would send down Larson to make room for Estes. I expect the DL for Reidling, Sullivan or White or option Fernandez back to AAA.

Originally posted by guernsey

He's still soft and gutless, and the Reds are too far back for this to make any difference.
    I agree with you, guernsey, although I do have to give ole' JimBo some credit for not giving up. If the Reds fall short of the wildcard by 2 games and Dempster, Estes, and Moehler go winless for the rest of the season, the last person you can blame is Jim Bowden. OTOH, if the Reds miraculously win the wild card, Jim Bowden should get most if not all the credit.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Man this is a tough crowd to please. We need a left handed starter very badly and we aquire an above average one for a small bag of peanuts and a water bottle that you purchase outside the stadium for less than it costs inside the stadium and everyone is less than impressed. Well I've already and said it and I'll say it again: Great move Jimbo.

Time is the Revelator.
    This is great news IMO. Lefty which we needed badly, and Estes has good stuff, he just needs to find it again .. hell Mr Gullett!

Woooooooooooo!

Watch me do a 180...

what the hell?

Reitsma has two quality starts for Louisville. Acevedo (who I think should stay in AAA for the rest of the season) has pitchedvery well in his last 5-6 starts, and we get this BP pitcher. Dusty Baker ruined this guy's arm 5 years ago. We don't need anymore Joey Hamiltons.

Estes = Blech.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Yes the Mets are paying the rest of his salary according to Bowden on his show on 700 today.

Turn Off Ads?