Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An informal poll

An informal poll

Informal because we are all subject to changing our minds at a later date, but I am curious as to how many die hard fans on this forum will walk away from this game if the players strike. Let me say that I am done with this nonsense. I have been through every strike and lockout and I have had enough. I honestly believe, in my heart that I will never come back to the game. How about you all?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Time is the Revelator.
    It'll be tough for me, as a hopefully future player in the bigs, to walk away completely. But, it will also be tough for me to stay. I play the game because I love it, and I watch the game because I love it - if they don't care about the kids, and they don't care about the game itsself, I don't see a point in staying around for the BS. Overall, I still haven't made up my mind - it'll be tough, either way.

I'll be back. I love baseball too much.

I'll be back for 3 reasons

1. I have nothing better to do between April and October
    2.its the greatest game out there

#3 and most important. I wanna see my Marlins in the post season again

I'll always be there anytime the Reds want to play. No, I don't want a strike. I think a strike is stupid. But, I haven't walked a mile in their shoes, so to be outraged is a little much. Is it over money? Probably. What stike isn't. Do I resent the players for making a lot of money? No. I only know the players will make what the owners will give them, so what's the problem?

I will be back if I'm the only one there...

I think the players should allow the tax on $102million payroll and not their pick of $130million.....I dont even think there is more than 1 team at $130mil...I hope there is a tax like that so teams like the Royals and Marlins can get some extra $ thrown our way......

There is only 1 way that I would come back to this great game. And that is if the 2 sides come to a significant change in the revenue sharing to level the playing field in a dramatic way. I'm actually ok if the owners cancel next season just to make their point. As long as, come ST the following year, EVERY TEAM really has, at least, some sort of chance at the title. Otherwise, I'm gone for good. And, man, I'd miss it too. But, I believe in principles.

I'll never totally walk away; I've been a fan too long. But my interest in the game definitely is less than it was 25 years ago, for a lot of reasons: [1] The Reds were the Big Red Machine 25 years ago, and, more importantly for me, were made up of players I grew up with and idolized-now I'm older than any player in the majors and I don't idolize players young enough to be my own sons. [2] My interests are different, again partially a result of being older with more responsibilities. [3] Yes, the repeated strikes, drug abuse, player arrogance, owner arrogance, etc. have affected my love of MLB.
    I will never totally abandon the game, but my sons, ages 5, 9 and 11 [I started late], have never embraced the game the way I did at their ages, and it seems to me that major league baseball is generally much less important to most kids now than it was to kids 30-35 years ago. It will be easier for a younger generation to leave a game they never fully embraced to begin with.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'll listen on radio and watch on TV. But I won't pay to watch a game for a long time. After the last strike I didn't pay for a game for four years.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Originally posted by ramp101
    I think the players should allow the tax on $102million payroll and not their pick of $130million.....I dont even think there is more than 1 team at $130mil...I hope there is a tax like that so teams like the Royals and Marlins can get some extra $ thrown our way......

I agree that a luxury tax is of no good & basically ineffective when it is set at such a high level. I also read that this tax would not take effect until 2006. It's a sham counter offer by the union IMO. The Yanks current payroll is some where just under $120 Mil I think. And even at that level they have been killing baseball. So IMO, they are about the only team that would probably have to worry about getting hit with this luxury tax if it is set at that high of a level. And while the Yanks/Steinbrenner are a problem..they are not THE PROBLEM that is curently confronting baseball. It's the entire sytem!

Bringing the Yanks down, or slowing their payroll growth, will not correct the imbalance, or help struggling teams to be competitive. MLB needs to bring the other teams up to create balance. And that can only be accomplished with an effective revenue sharing plan in place inwhich all are involved.

You want the luxury tax to work almost like salary cap. Yes, an organization can go over, but the penalties would be stiff and dissuade teams from doing so. But if you set the tax at such a high level then it is basically rendered useless.

I think it should be set at around 100Mil, with a option that it can be adjusted as needed due to the financial status of MLB overall.

But you also have to look at the fact that the vast majority of teams in MLB are not even close to that 100 Mil mark, so would it generate enough revenue to be of much help. I don't think it is being instituted as that type of "tool" (revenue generating), but to simply dissuade teams from going over it and implemented some sort of control.

The revenue sharing plan is what is needed to mainly help other financially struggling teams. That is the crux of this whole matter.

But as to the original intent of this thread.... Yes, I will be back as far as watching, listening, and following the games. But I wil do just as I did in 1994. I will not expend one red cent on MLB for 2 years as far as going to games or buying any merchandise.

I may be a baseball addict, but I'm also not an idiot who will let anyone walk all over me without me taking some sort of stand and voicing my opinion!
    Last edited by GAC; 08-17-2002 at 09:01 AM.

I'm with Creek. I'll listen/watch, but won't go anymore.

I'm really mad that they even set a strike date, even though I knew it was coming.

Who knows though, it's hard to stay mad forever. I'm sure I'll give in. I usually do.

Cruisin' for trouble
    I'm in that boat as well. We spent major money making the trip from Virginia to Cincinnati to stay for five days. The trip is a good enough distance (8 hours) that we can really afford to do this maybe once a year, which is what we had planned.

However, if the strike occurs, I don't care who's at fault. We won't be coming back for a long time, if ever. I'll continue to watch, listen and visit this forum, but that will be the extent of it.

I didn't watch, listen or go to a baseball game (outside of a few work-related outings) from 1994 until the end of 1998. I imagine it would be at least 6 or 7 years this time.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar
    Even in the off season we're interested due to trades and such. If there is a work stoppage for the rest of this season and then throughout the winter....I know I'll lose interest. I'll just find other things to read and become interested in. Eventually when they come back, I'll come back. It's just simply my favorite sport. There just seriously needs to be a way to get an even playing field for the teams. The disparity is just too great. Unfortunately the owners will again cave and give the players what they want and things won't change. They look too short term and only care about their current investment. They could care less about the future of the game. I'm not sure I'd see it any differently if it were my money. I hope so, but it's doubtful.

I'll be back (ticket buying back) only if they fix the game this time. If another WS is lost without changes to allow smaller market teams WITH sound management a chance to compete AND to retain core players, then I'll never buy another ticket. I'll watch on TV. I can justify this in my little mind because I'm not a Nielsen house and therefore do not influence ratings. I still love the game and can watch and enjoy a season ending meaningless White Sox vs. Devil Rays game (or any other non contenders) . I will (and have) watch/attend minor league and college games where I neither know the players or care who wins. Without drastic changes we are looking at a future where we can't afford (or will be TOLD we can't) to keep both Dunn and Kearns. Where we still can't afford to draft Scott Boras clients without some clever but potentially destructive maneuvering like Bowden devised for Espinosa and Sardina. NO, I've had quite enough of this and won't be back even if they don't strike UNLESS they fix the system. That's just me however and I certainly do not presume to speak for anyone else.

Turn Off Ads?