Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Estes

Originally posted by BuckeyeRed27
    Man this is a tough crowd to please. We need a left handed starter very badly and we aquire an above average one for a small bag of peanuts and a water bottle that you purchase outside the stadium for less than it costs inside the stadium and everyone is less than impressed. Well I've already and said it and I'll say it again: Great move Jimbo.
    ten minutes ago he was "a great starter" now he's "above average"

I hate to see what he'll be in an hour!

Anyway, I'd rather the Reds just start Chen then this goof.

Hope he proves me wrong (he is a former Mariner afterall)

PSR

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Does anyone else think that the Mets letting go of Estes so easily had something to do with the big Yankees bean-ball fiasco a while back? I remember hearing at the time that he may have lost alot of respect from his teammates because of his non-bean ball. Could it be the case? The obvious points to the Mets trying to dump him while they can still get something for him, but I suspect there was something else to it.

Anyhow - good pick up by Bowden. Even if it is only for the rest of the season.

Catch,

As Chris's second biggest fan on this board, I am not too happy about what this trade means for the possibility of seeing him back with the Reds any time soon.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Two thoughts -

In response to Estes being soft - he's still a softy, he's just OUR softy now

In regards to Chen - is it just me, or is his situation becoming more and more similiar to Reyes' while he was a Red?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Time is the Revelator.
    Estes last 5 games:

He is 1-2, but thats because the Mets sucks.

6 IP, 7 IP, 7 IP, 7 IP, 7 IP, 3 IP

In all of those games, his highest hit total was 7 .. very good.

The 3 IP game was short because he walked 5, and gave up 1 grand slam, but other than that - it pitched well.

He can help us down the stretch, hey - atleast the management is trying to win .. thats 1 for 2, now lets see if the players try.

NorCalRedsFan
    Great move by Bowden. I like this move. I have followed the Giants awhile and firmly believe the Giants gave up on him.

He is young (he's 29 yrs old). And sometimes it takes awhile for someone like him to gain consistency in their game. Gullett is probably the only one who can teach him this.

If anything, in the last several months we have added some good people to our pitching staff (Dempster, Moehler, and Chen) and now Estes.

Bowden is cleverly building this team up for a late run for this year and..... gearing up next year and beyond.

Go Reds!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Well, he has a 2.70 ERA in his last 5 starts. He's an experienced starter, and could certainly pitch well down the stretch. He's a lefty to boot. The fact we gave up 4 prospects probably means none were to highly regarded (quantity over quality). Good job Bowden, again.

It's possible that the Mets had an agreement worked out to trade Estes w/ someone else and the Reds claimed him on waivers. If that was the case, the Mets could either keep him and get nothing for him or pay his salary and give him to the Reds, but still get something in return.

Originally posted by letsgojunior
    I was one of the people who said Estes had no guts. However, he has always had major POTENTIAL, he has just never harnessed it. However, I think a few sessions with Gully could go a long way with a guy like him.
    I agree.

That said, most of Gullett's success stories have been guys with a bulldog mentality who had solid command but came up a little short in the stuff category. Estes is the polar opposite of the 'Gullett type', in that he wilts under pressure and has terrible command. We could see another Tomko/Bell meltdown as Estes withers under Don's iron fist.

Hopefully, the Sherriff can work with Estes and turn him into 'Schourek part deux'. I'll be rooting for 'em, but I won't be holding my breath.

"He's still soft and gutless, and the Reds are too far back for this to make any difference."

Yep.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Over the last 4 years, Estes has a 9 plus ERA against the Cards. So I am not sure why it is so important to have a LH starter of his ilk against them.

Seems to me, that I could manage a 9 plus ERA and I am RH.

Also, NOBODY has yet mentioned that Estes had to pass waivers to be traded to the Reds....that means that not onloy did every other ML team NOT want him, but the Cards and the "stros weren't at all worried about the Reds getting him.

At the same time, I don't see him being any worse than Chuck Finley and the Cards did back-flips when they got him.

J-Rod

3 STARTERS

Who would have known the Reds would have picked up 3 legit starters.

But listen to this.

We need an ace. A-C-E

Bartolo Colon was there and we missed out on a 6 million dollar salary for an ace in 2003.

We need an ace.

But a good move. Shrewd and good.

Estes will be a godsend the rest of the way!

Way to go Jim Bowden.

Did any of you dream of the Reds aquiring 3 starters?

Of course, I would have rather had Weaver and Colon, but on a beer budget, we did ok.

Retired
    Put me in the Estes=Blech column. But I give Bowden credit, he is doing everything he can with no support from ownership.

"So Fla Red"
    This one came out of the blue. Looks like Finley but for much less cost.

Look ok by me. Picking up a lefty starter for beer money. Get a couple of draft picks (maybe) when he walks in FA that should be better than anything given up in the deal.

Estes did just pitch a shutout against Houston (7IP and 2 hits) a couple weeks ago.

The "Should Be" Rotation Until Elmer Returns

Dempster
    Haynes
    Reitsma
    Estes
    Moehler

Elmer takes the spot of whomever is sucking wind most.

Time is the Revelator.
    I would have it this way..

Dempster
    Estes
    Reitsma
    Moehler
    Haynes

Turn Off Ads?