Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Estes

I know Creek - it was the first thing in my mind too. I pretty much have now resigned myself to the fact that Chris will not be back with the Reds prior to Sept 1st if at all. I guess the bright side to that is if he doesn't get called up he comes home a month earlier.

Though this move stinks for Chris right now - I can't help but admit that it helps the Reds; especially in light of how many times they play the left hander vulnerable Cards. The interesting part will be seeing who they move to make room.

All I know is that he better pitch well or Bowden will have some 'splainin' to do. The whole idea behind rent-a-starters is that they are supposed to give you wins during the short time they are there. Can't say that Dempster and Moehler have exactly excelled in that department.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All dyslexics must untie!
    Will Estes be the 2nd coming of...Pete Schourek? The parallels are staggering...and St. Gullett stands ready to "impart"
    Never overlook the obvious

One possible (wishful) scenario is that Gullett makes a big impression on Estes and convinces him that his career can be resurrected in Cincy. Estes wins 5 of 7 starts and re-signs with Cincy for a deep discount for 3 more years.

After his last couple of years, I cannot believe that Estes thinks he is still worth 6 mill a year on the FA market.

"So Fla Red"
    99% guaranteed Fernandez goes back to AAA to make room for Estes.

Barring someone like SUlly being DL'd.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Originally posted by red-in-la

Also, NOBODY has yet mentioned that Estes had to pass waivers to be traded to the Reds....that means that not onloy did every other ML team NOT want him, but the Cards and the "stros weren't at all worried about the Reds getting him.

Actually, the reason he passed through waivers was because no one wanted to get stuck with his salary for this season. About $2M at the time of waivers. If you claimed him, he was yours. Neither the Cards or the Astros are in the position to pick up much salary also.

The 3 IP game was short because he walked 5, and gave up 1 grand slam, but other than that - it pitched well.
    pitched well?

Dempster
    Estes
    Reitsma
    Moehler
    Haynes
    in no way is estes a #2 starter, even on the Reds...I put him in the Blech column as well..I saw him pitch twice and he looked lost on the mound out there

Cards and the "stros weren't at all worried about the Reds getting him.
    Am I wrong, or what is the rule about the number 3 team (Reds) getting him "before" the # 2 team (Astros) or #1 team (Cards) get a shot at him? I think I'm confusing an actual trade with just claiming a player on waivers.

Time is the Revelator.
    Its called an opinion, ramp.
    Last edited by LvJ; 08-15-2002 at 07:27 PM.

oh thats what it's called?

Estes

Chen's not the prototypical Gullet reclaimation project and I'd say he's been a success since the Reds acquired him. I'm willing to give this one a chance as well.

nice work JB. I like the trade.

Posted by Piggy:
    Actually, the reason he passed through waivers was because no one wanted to get stuck with his salary for this season. About $2M at the time of waivers. If you claimed him, he was yours. Neither the Cards or the Astros are in the position to pick up much salary also.
    According to ESPN it was about 1.2 mill. And both Houston and the Cards could use another starter. I don't know if Houston was looking for one, but Jocketty was.

And 1.2 to either of these teams is pocket change.

Besides, if the Reds can make a deal to get the Mets to pick up the salary, so could St. Louis or Houston.

I'll say it again, if pretty much anybody thought Estes had much of anything left, he probably wouldn't have made it to the Reds.

Reds army

Will it ever end?

Blech is the right word: More visionless bander by Bowden. Dude needs to admitt it is over and try to get deals getting rid of the excess, instead he goes out and gets a over-the-hill scum who fills the schoolhalls with dirt. He might have a few good games with the Reds, but he is not the kind of pitcher you win championships with.

Wanna know why Bowden did it: He can't develope his own talent so he takes mediocre pitching from other teams and wastes it on the Reds. Same as in 1995.

Earth to Carl: Fire the windbag you old cog.

As for Estes being soft, etc. McCoy talked about Tucker's showing up a Giants' pitcher with an extra long homerun trot and then the next time Tucker faced the Giants, Estes put him down with the first pitch.

I agree with other posters who felt that Piazza should have taken the matter into his own hands when Clemens threw the bat his way in the Series and not have expected Estes who was not even a Met then to have done his dirty work for him later.

Originally posted by Raisor
    OK, now the question is, how fast will it take the people that called Estes "soft" and "gutless" a month ago to now jump on the Shawn Estes bandwagon?

PSR

It's the Reds' organization that is soft and gutless... Another band-aid pitcher on a team with major holes.

This move stinks. :thumbdn: With the way the rest of the rotation is shaping up, to go along with an incredibly Jeckyl and Hyde offense, I would be much more inclined to dump players before the end of the month versus picking up 6 week rentals that even worse than our AAA options.

Turn Off Ads?