Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So who's on the block?

Re: So who's on the block?

They won't deal Harden, he's cheap and really really good.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

But Zito's having himself another whale of a year. What's with the Zito hatred? All the guy does is win like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    But Zito's having himself another whale of a year. What's with the Zito hatred? All the guy does is win like crazy.
    What you said. 92-56, career 3.48 ERA, he's thrown 213+ IP five seasons in a row and he's on track to do it again. Plus, he only just turned 28. Harden's got a lot of talent, but he couldn't last a full season in 2005 and he's already been on the shelf in 2006. Zito's a horse who can pull your wagon all the way to October.

Mind you, that's probably why Beane doesn't want to trade the guy this summer.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    What you said. 92-56, career 3.48 ERA, he's thrown 213+ IP five seasons in a row and he's on track to do it again. Plus, he only just turned 28. Harden's got a lot of talent, but he couldn't last a full season in 2005 and he's already been on the shelf in 2006. Zito's a horse who can pull your wagon all the way to October.

He would for the right price. I just don't know if the Reds have it, outside of Dunn, of course. I think Billy Beane would trade his grandmother if he thought he could win the deal.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Barring a collapse tonight, the Reds are going to wake up tomorrow tied for first, coming off a sweep in Saint Louis. The Cards are slumping, and Pujols won't be back for a while. Clemens isn't coming back to Houston for a few more weeks, and even when he does, he won't do much for their popgun offense.

It's time to go for the jugular. Let's not jerk around for another 6 weeks before we get a deal. There's blood in the water, and it's time to go for the kill.

Call up Billy Beane & tell him that Bruce, Bailey, and Wood are all on the table right now. He can pick two of the three, plus any other guy in the minor league system if Barry Zito is in a Reds uniform by the end of the weekend.

Throw down the gauntlet and throw it down with some authority.
    That's a little too much for Zito. I would start the negotiations at Q and Rick White and work from there. Actually, one of those guys (Bruce, Homer or Wood) and another minor leaguer should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Jamie Moyer is one of my favorite pitchers. I love the way he pitches. However, he did give up 44 homers in 2004 but only 23 last year and 8 so far this year. With his stuff, he'd have to be dead-on with his pitches at GAB because Safeco is alot more forgiving of mistakes.
    How does the park in SanFran compare to GABP? I ask because of Schmidt.

I am thinking that Moyer may be a better pick up for the following reasons.

1) he is cheaper
    2) he is signed only through this year
    3) He could be resigned at the end of the year for only a modest increase.

Of course longterm I believe that Schmidt is the best option but for this year and what we have to trade and all that in consideration...I'd go with Moyer and make a play for Schmidt in FA...if moyer performed well and had an interest in returning I'd sign him to a one year deal towards the end of the year...then the rotation would have Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Schmidt, Moyer (in no particular order).
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

On a more minor note, I would imagine Cesar Itzuris is on the block, considering he has no place to play. If he can show that he is healthy, which I imagine he will be, he could be an interesting piece. One interesting thought would be for the Reds to trade EE and maybe Votto to the Marlins for Willis, and then make a trade for Itzuris. I'm not particularly keen on giving up EE, but moving Lopez to 3rd, Itzuris at SS, and Phillips at 2B would be a pretty sweet infield, defensively.

How does the park in SanFran compare to GABP? I ask because of Schmidt.
    Giant Alleys, however Schmidt was on the other night because he had his changeup back (like Milton) not because of heat, the Reds need some heat.

Repeat after me Livan Hernandez. Washington will put him on the block and Krivsky will deal with the baseball devil himself, Jim Bowden.

Another idea....Dunn to the A's for Rich Harden.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

What if the FO goes the other route and just opens the check book? Who's out there to be had for payroll relief and some minor league filler?

So who's on the block?
    I know for a fact Jenny is from the block. Oh, and she used to have a little, now she has alot, but she's still Jenny from the block.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Talk about a pitcher who is fun to watch and could put the Reds in position to control the NL Central! Zito, Arroyo, Milton, Harang, and Elizardo/Claussen would give the Reds one of the top rotations in the National League to go with an outstanding offense. Whoa!
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I know for a fact Jenny is from the block. Oh, and she used to have a little, now she has alot, but she's still Jenny from the block.
    What do they want in trade for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Repeat after me Livan Hernandez. Washington will put him on the block and Krivsky will deal with the baseball devil himself, Jim Bowden.

Another idea....Dunn to the A's for Rich Harden.
    Harden can't stay healthy, also I doubt the A's give up on him this fast, they have payroll issues.

Livan? don't see him as that much of an upgrade over Milton/Claussen/EZ
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Harden can't stay healthy, also I doubt the A's give up on him this fast, they have payroll issues.

Livan? don't see him as that much of an upgrade over Milton/Claussen/EZ
    Livan is a HUGE upgrade over Milton Claussen or Lizard. He is a big game pitcher who eats innings like he eats doughnuts.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?