Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

Thread: So who's on the block?

  1. #16
    Worth The Wait
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    4,327

    Re: So who's on the block?

    If you're looking for a "this year only" upgrade in the rotation, why not give Seattle a call about Jamie Moyer? I realize he's 600 years old, but he still averages almost 7 innings per start and has an ERA of 3.76. I think he'd be a clear upgrade from Claussen.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    957

    Re: So who's on the block?

    I think our starting pitching is ok at the moment, but I am still of the thinking that we need to acquire a bat and a bullpen guy for the playoffs to be a possibility.

    1st acquisition) Acquire Damaso Marte and from the Pirates, he instantly stabilizes the bullpen

    2nd Acquisition) Acquire Wes Helms from the Fish, he provides a good bat off the bench and can play a few positions

    3rd Transaction) Trade Larue to anyone to acquire a few youngsters

  4. #18
    Cruisin' for trouble
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    3,290

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Actually, I think the only transactions the Reds should worry about now involve the bullpen. The starting pitching ain't great and if a viable starter becomes available, fine, but the Reds are lacking resources to compete with other teams in a pitching thin market.

    On the other hand, one of Larue, Valentin or Ross could be traded for some bully help without really impacting the current makeup of the team. I'd really like to see two quality bullpen arms added.

    Possible targets - Rafael Soriano, Gil Meche, Eddie Guardardo (Seattle); Luis Vizcaino (ARZ); Gary Majewski, Tony Armas, Jon Rauch (Washington);

  5. #19
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: So who's on the block?

    I like Rauch simply because he is 200 ft tall.

  6. #20
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes
    I think our starting pitching is ok at the moment, but I am still of the thinking that we need to acquire a bat and a bullpen guy for the playoffs to be a possibility.

    1st acquisition) Acquire Damaso Marte and from the Pirates, he instantly stabilizes the bullpen

    2nd Acquisition) Acquire Wes Helms from the Fish, he provides a good bat off the bench and can play a few positions

    3rd Transaction) Trade Larue to anyone to acquire a few youngsters
    I agree with 1 and 3 (Marte would be a nice pickup), but no keep Wes Helms away. We have a better version of him in RA.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  7. #21
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,672

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    If you're looking for a "this year only" upgrade in the rotation, why not give Seattle a call about Jamie Moyer? I realize he's 600 years old, but he still averages almost 7 innings per start and has an ERA of 3.76. I think he'd be a clear upgrade from Claussen.
    Be an upgrade and not as expensive as Schmidt

    I don't think we need another bat, we already have enough and if they would call Deno up we'd have a solid bench top to bottom.
    Go Gators!

  8. #22
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    If you're looking for a "this year only" upgrade in the rotation, why not give Seattle a call about Jamie Moyer? I realize he's 600 years old, but he still averages almost 7 innings per start and has an ERA of 3.76. I think he'd be a clear upgrade from Claussen.
    Jamie Moyer is one of my favorite pitchers. I love the way he pitches. However, he did give up 44 homers in 2004 but only 23 last year and 8 so far this year. With his stuff, he'd have to be dead-on with his pitches at GAB because Safeco is alot more forgiving of mistakes.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  9. #23
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Jamie Moyer is one of my favorite pitchers. I love the way he pitches. However, he did give up 44 homers in 2004 but only 23 last year and 8 so far this year. With his stuff, he'd have to be dead-on with his pitches at GAB because Safeco is alot more forgiving of mistakes.
    That's the thing, there really isn't a lot of pitching that looks like it's going to hit the market, at least not the kind of pitching that can help a contender. If Oakland fell apart Barry Zito would probably become available. As was posted up a little higher, it doesn't sound like San Francisco's going to shop Jason Schmidt at all.

    That leaves you with Dontrelle, Jason Jennings and Moyer as probably the best of a thin lot. It's going to be tough to get any sort of meaningful arm upgrades for the rotation this summer. Going after a young guy, like Brandon McCarthy (mentioned in another thread), might be the best option.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #24
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Jason Schmidt -- update on tonight's game: 8IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 13 K's...so far.

    According to Ken Rosenthal, Schmidt won't be traded at all:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5666594

    Giants are buyers, not sellers
    Eliminate Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt, a potential free agent, from the list of pitchers who might be available at the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

    The Giants, who have never dumped veterans for prospects during Peter Magowan's 13-year tenure as owner, expect to compete all season in the N.L. West.

    "We're strictly buyers," Giants general manager Brian Sabean says. "I can't see us falling off the map and wanting to be sellers."

    Sabean, however, also says that he doesn't expect to offer Schmidt, who ranks eighth in the N.L. with a 2.70 ERA, a contract extension before the end of the season.

    The Angels signed right-hander Kelvim Escobar to a three-year, $28.5 million extension last week, but Sabean says it would be unfair to make Schmidt an offer when the Giants' roster includes several other potential free agents.

    The list includes not only left fielder Barry Bonds, but also right fielder Moises Alou, second baseman Ray Durham, third baseman Pedro Feliz and left-handed reliever Steve Kline.

    "With or without (Bonds), we're going to go through a transformation," Sabean says. "We're going to rebuild and retool at the same time."

    The Giants have yet to win more than three in a row or lose more than four in a row this season, but soon could get on a roll: They will face sub-.500 opponents in five of their next six series, and Alou is expected to come off the disabled list Monday night.

    This sounds like protesting too much.

    Sooner than later SF will realize they're not in it. It would be seriously wack if the Giants don't sell. Just puts off real competing for another year or more.

  11. #25
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    This sounds like protesting too much.

    Sooner than later SF will realize they're not in it. It would be seriously wack if the Giants don't sell. Just puts off real competing for another year or more.
    That's been their M.O. though. As long as they're hovering above .500 they aren't likely to pawn off Schmidt.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #26
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    That's been their M.O. though. As long as they're hovering above .500 they aren't likely to pawn off Schmidt.
    You may be right.

    But SF is going to have to leapfrog two inarguably better teams in LA and Arizona. That they don't realize they're dead doesn't make it a less stupid MO.

  13. #27
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,672

    Re: So who's on the block?

    I'd bet more on the Pads winning the west then the Giants.
    Go Gators!

  14. #28
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    You may be right.

    But SF is going to have to leapfrog two inarguably better teams in LA and Arizona. That they don't realize they're dead doesn't make it a less stupid MO.
    I think it's more about when they realize it. At the rate they're going, they may not give up the ghost until August and Schmidt won't clear waivers. The good news for the Reds is they've got an early waivers claim (though Detroit gets dibs before them).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  15. #29
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,504

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Barring a collapse tonight, the Reds are going to wake up tomorrow tied for first, coming off a sweep in Saint Louis. The Cards are slumping, and Pujols won't be back for a while. Clemens isn't coming back to Houston for a few more weeks, and even when he does, he won't do much for their popgun offense.

    It's time to go for the jugular. Let's not jerk around for another 6 weeks before we get a deal. There's blood in the water, and it's time to go for the kill.

    Call up Billy Beane & tell him that Bruce, Bailey, and Wood are all on the table right now. He can pick two of the three, plus any other guy in the minor league system if Barry Zito is in a Reds uniform by the end of the weekend.

    Throw down the gauntlet and throw it down with some authority.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: So who's on the block?

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Barring a collapse tonight, the Reds are going to wake up tomorrow tied for first, coming off a sweep in Saint Louis. The Cards are slumping, and Pujols won't be back for a while. Clemens isn't coming back to Houston for a few more weeks, and even when he does, he won't do much for their popgun offense.

    It's time to go for the jugular. Let's not jerk around for another 6 weeks before we get a deal. There's blood in the water, and it's time to go for the kill.

    Call up Billy Beane & tell him that Bruce, Bailey, and Wood are all on the table right now. He can pick two of the three, plus any other guy in the minor league system if Barry Zito is in a Reds uniform by the end of the weekend.

    Throw down the gauntlet and throw it down with some authority.

    If you are going to throw down that gauntlet, throw it down for Rich Harden, not for Barry freaking Zito. If our option is Barry Zito, I will take my chances with what we got, especially at that price.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25