Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs is the real deal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stubbs is the real deal

Just because we have a few solid outfielders in our system don't count Stubbs out. I'm a Longhorn fan (I attend the University) and Stubbs is absolutely incredible. The stats don't lie, I don't care if people say there is a hole in his swing, he still hits .342 in a very good baseball conference. Imagine what he'll do when he gets that hole fixed. He has also been digitally clocked at running a 4.4 in the 40. Also there's only one or two centerfielders in the bigs right now whose defensive ability I would take over Stubbs. He can cover a football field. Drew needs our support so let's not jump all over him yet. I'm going to say it again, I've seen Stubbs live about 40 times and the guy is flat out amazing.

Re: Stubbs is the real deal

I hope he is everything you say he is. I will support the pick and pray that it pays off in the near future
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

I agree!

I'm behind Stubbs! Hopefully him and Bruce will pan out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'm excited about finally having a CFer of note in the system.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

the min you said you were a texas fan made you extremely biased in my view. so i dont know how much to put into your opinion. just human nature to talk up guys from your team.

i think stubbs will be a good major leaguer, should have been picked, i dont think so, but hes pretty much a lock to make it

Drew Stubbs=Dale Murphy/Adam Dunn - what is wrong with a CF version of Dunn. Stubbs is a player. He will win Cincy fans over within 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    Drew Stubbs=Dale Murphy/Adam Dunn - what is wrong with a CF version of Dunn. Stubbs is a player. He will win Cincy fans over within 2 years.
    well, if you are not a fan of dunn, LETS NOT GET INTO IT AGAIN, i think you can find things

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    well, if you are not a fan of dunn, LETS NOT GET INTO IT AGAIN, i think you can find things
    I am a fan of Adam Dunn - from the beginning - I loved the draft pick and promoted him on this and other boards from the day he was drafted.

the min you said you were a texas fan made you extremely biased in my view. so i dont know how much to put into your opinion. just human nature to talk up guys from your team.

i think stubbs will be a good major leaguer, should have been picked, i dont think so, but hes pretty much a lock to make it
    Perhaps a biased homer but I like the fact that he has actually seen the guy play. That means more to me than folks who scout players by studying their stats

Of coarse I'm biased, I'm a Longhorn fan. Everyone is biased to some degree. There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion. Based on what I've seen this kid is a stud. I'm also probably one of the only members on this sight that has consistantly seen him play throughout his career at Texas and seen his development. He was truly a star the moment he stepped on campus.

I was a bit disappointed with the pick of Stubbs at first, mainly because I wanted the Reds to draft a college pitcher. I'm coming around to Stubbs now, though. The power is there for him to hit 30-35 home runs a year, he has a fairly good eye at the plate, and the defense is gold glove caliber. The only knock is the strikeouts, which don't really bother me. There is still a chance he could fix that hole in his swing and eventually cut down on the K's. He has the potential to the best positional player to come out of this draft, but on the flip side he also has the best chance of being a total bust as a hitter.

Upside: Eric Davis with less stolen bases

Downside: Reggie Taylor

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    The power is there for him to hit 30-35 home runs a year, he has a fairly good eye at the plate, and the defense is gold glove caliber. The only knock is the strikeouts, which don't really bother me.
    Stubbs averaged a walk once every 8.8 PAs -- which is a number I'd love to see him replicate and improve upon as he makes his way through the minors.

However, his AB/HR numbers need to improve dramatically if he ever wants to achieve the kind of power you're projecting him at. That's not something I'm too confident on, given that he'll be facing vastly superior competition as he goes through the minors as well as the adjustment to hitting with wood over aluminum.

As far as his strikeouts go -- strikeouts generally don't bother me, but the one area of this kid's game that is allegedly refined is his speed. It's hard to maximize the value of speed when you're whiffing, on average, more than once a game. Though, I can go either way on this: increasing selectivity will let him use his speed as well.
    Code:
    Year	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    2004	71	266	51	80	16	3	8	47	28	6	28	75	.301	.372	.474	846
    2005	72	283	67	88	20	4	11	46	32	6	32	71	.311	.384	.527	911
    2006	62	243	65	83	14	4	12	58	26	6	41	60	.342	.439	.580	1.019
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-07-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

power comes late. If he controls the strike zone, then Stubbs will hit HRs and will be a huge find for the Reds.

it's a big if, but it's always nice to have just one thing to work on. would that I was just one skill away from being a star.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Drew Stubbs does not equal Adam Dunn. If Drew Stubbs were anything like Adam Dunn, and with that defense, he would have been the #1 overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Drew Stubbs does not equal Adam Dunn. If Drew Stubbs were anything like Adam Dunn, and with that defense, he would have been the #1 overall pick.
    I think Stubbs has tremendous potential. That is also what I think of Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?