Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stubbs is the real deal

Re: Stubbs is the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    I'm thinking what Dunn and Kearns should have been.
    What's wrong with Dunn and Kearns this year?
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

2008:
    Dunn-1B
    Bruce-LF
    Stubbs-CF
    Kearns-RF

Ok probably not, but one can hope!
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I think we as fans are so starved for good pitching that it's hard to swallow yet another first round 5-tool outfielder. Especially if some analysts have questions about his ability to hit at higher levels.

I have no clue what to think about the rest of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    2008:
    Dunn-1B
    Bruce-LF
    Stubbs-CF
    Kearns-RF

Ok probably not, but one can hope!
    2008 ETA for Bruce and Stubbs. You are an optimist
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I don't really care what he does or doesn't have at this point (Ok maybe I do), although I will point out that he only has one flaw that we are aware of at this point. That's refreshing and it leaves me very optimistic about A.) His distant future (in the bigs) and B.) Ability to advance rapidly.

When it comes to this one flaw though I want to temper my optimistic remarks with this thought. There have been many, many, many a men who simply could not take a round bat and hit a round ball square. For whatever reason they just don't get it, it's flat unexplainable. And there is no way to determine for sure if Stubbs will until he does it, just like everyone else drafted with him not to pitch in the AL. Which incidentally if he has a great arm maybe someday he can be a bullpen guy somewhere if it doesn't work out offensively. Just sayin'

However if he has these 4 things on his side he will become at worst a solid ML ballplayer.

A.) Talent (Ability to improve)- Check
    B.) Good or better work ethic (Willingness to improve)- My gut says Check
    C.) Coaches who can teach him how to sew up that hole- The Jury is still out
    D.) Good Healthy genetics- If you can't stay on the field it doesn't matter to me how good you are.

All of which is too early to tell. So unless you are a prophet of the big man upstairs, walk softly around this youngsters ego! Because we as fans have a tendency to add to the media's ability to hurt things more than help them!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stubbs and Bruce will lead the Reds into the 21st century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it about Stubbs hitting ability? I know he had some trouble last year, but batting .342 at a school like Texas is pretty darn solid. Longoria only batted 10 points higher and doesn't have near the speed or defensive ability of Stubbs. I personally think Stubbs was a bit underrated this year and I'm glad we were able to grab him at #8.

Superdude, lots of scouts have questioned if he will ever hit with a wooden bat as a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Superdude, lots of scouts have questioned if he will ever hit with a wooden bat as a pro.
    That Quote seems to be used on most every player coming out of the Draft. Didn't Stubbs play on a wooden bat summer league and hit over .300?

A publication called it a "soft" .307 average. My guess that mean lots of singles. Also he struck out on average once a game in college. That just aint good.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    A publication called it a "soft" .307 average. My guess that mean lots of singles. Also he struck out on average once a game in college. That just aint good.
    But he also improved his strike out to walk ratio each year and I don't see any reason for him not to continue to improve.

College baseball is highly competitive, and hitters are often more aggressive at the plate than you might want to see in the pros. Lots of first pitch swinging. Quality of pitching is uneven. Yesterday, So Car hit 5 straight HRs off Georgia pitching. Many, maybe all, came on the first pitch.

The key is, does Stubbs realize the difference, and is he willing/able to adjust.

He seems to be willing. We'll see about able.

Bleeding Red in the South

Stubbs is the real deal. No doubt about it. Living in south texas, I have seen him play numerous times, and he'll be a top 5 defensive center fielder the day he steps on a major league diamond. He has a sweet swing and a quick bat, and a year of pro coaching will cure whatever strikeout problems he has had. Though, I didn't really notice it much this season.

Turn Off Ads?