Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 1061

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

  1. #76
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,207

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I don't mind a position play either, but not an outfielder. 2 of our top prospects (Bruce and Deno) are outfielders, and Dunn and Kearns are both only 26.
    You can always trade an impact position player for pitching though. Bowden made the comment that when Piazza was traded to the Mets that the 3 arms that Florida got in return would've easily been 1st round picks if they were in the draft.

    Last year, it was reported that DanO could've gotten Cliff Lee for Kearns. We got Arroyo for Pena... That's why I firmly believe that the draft should be used to maximize talent regardless of position. If the first 5 picks of the Reds are OF, that's ok, IMO, as long as those guys were the best player available. Of course, that assumes the Reds have good talent evaluation guys, which hopefully they do.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    As Puffy posted in another thread, not only is Miller a giant southpaw with immense stuff (hard to hit, high K rate), 80% of his balls-in-play outs are grounders. This kid is the prototype for what the Reds should want in a pitcher.
    The post he was referring to:

    Keith Law, formerly the special assistant to the general manager for the Toronto Blue Jays, is the senior baseball analyst for Scouts Inc. He debuts on ESPN.com with his top 20 prospects for Tuesday's first-year player draft.

    1. Andrew Miller, LHP, University of North Carolina

    Year School ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO Opp. BA K %
    2006 North Carolina 2.26 103.2 82 40 26 1 35 108 .217 26%
    2006 Chatham 1.65 49.0 22 11 9 1 23 66 .133 34%
    2005 North Carolina 2.98 96.2 78 45 32 4 52 104 .230 25%

    The consensus No. 1 pick, Miller has been on prospect radar screens since he was a senior in high school in Florida, when he flashed a 94-95 mph fastball but fell out of the first round due to his seven-figure bonus demands. Tampa Bay selected him in the third round in 2003 but failed to sign him -- another parting gift from Chuck LaMar -- which has worked out well for Miller, who finds himself as the top left-handed starter in a draft thin on first-round talents. Miller's fastball sits in the low 90s, but he can run it up to 96-97 as needed, and he complements it with a plus breaking ball that he sweeps to left-handers but throws with more of a two-plane break to right-handers. Because he's 6-foot-6, Miller's delivery also causes trouble for left-handed hitters. And he was easily the best groundball pitcher among college starter prospects this year, with nearly 80 percent of his field outs coming on the ground.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  4. #78
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,448

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    is the draft today or tomorrow?
    It starts in 24 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  5. #79
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,207

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My take is that if the Reds had the #1 pick, they'd be crazy to spend it on anyone but Andrew Miller, meaning that passing on him at #8 would only be crazier.
    .
    I agree wholeheartedly. Look at what happened when they passed on Kazmir due to a false sense of "signablity" (Kazmir ended up getting less than Gruler).

    Always take the best guy. Even if you have someone pull a JD Drew occasionally, you'll still finish ahead.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  6. #80
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    For grins

    Szymanski's last year at school
    .362AVG/.433OBP/.610SLG/1043OPS
    Stubbs last year at school
    .347AVG/.450OBP/.597SLG/1047OPS

  7. #81
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,448

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    The post he was referring to:

    Keith Law, formerly the special assistant to the general manager for the Toronto Blue Jays, is the senior baseball analyst for Scouts Inc. He debuts on ESPN.com with his top 20 prospects for Tuesday's first-year player draft.

    1. Andrew Miller, LHP, University of North Carolina

    Year School ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO Opp. BA K %
    2006 North Carolina 2.26 103.2 82 40 26 1 35 108 .217 26%
    2006 Chatham 1.65 49.0 22 11 9 1 23 66 .133 34%
    2005 North Carolina 2.98 96.2 78 45 32 4 52 104 .230 25%

    The consensus No. 1 pick, Miller has been on prospect radar screens since he was a senior in high school in Florida, when he flashed a 94-95 mph fastball but fell out of the first round due to his seven-figure bonus demands. Tampa Bay selected him in the third round in 2003 but failed to sign him -- another parting gift from Chuck LaMar -- which has worked out well for Miller, who finds himself as the top left-handed starter in a draft thin on first-round talents. Miller's fastball sits in the low 90s, but he can run it up to 96-97 as needed, and he complements it with a plus breaking ball that he sweeps to left-handers but throws with more of a two-plane break to right-handers. Because he's 6-foot-6, Miller's delivery also causes trouble for left-handed hitters. And he was easily the best groundball pitcher among college starter prospects this year, with nearly 80 percent of his field outs coming on the ground.
    Ok, that is the kid I want!

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  8. #82
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    For grins
    To be fair, though, Szymanski played against Ivy League schools and Stubbs against the Big-12. Still, I see your point - give me a college pitcher, please.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  9. #83
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,374

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Ok, that is the kid I want!

    Reds nation would burst into song if the club drafted him. It's not hyperbole to say he's been tabbed as the top talent in this draft for the last three years.

    All it will take is two little words for the Reds front office to gain genius status - "Andrew" and "Miller"
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #84
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Reds nation would burst into song if the club drafted him. It's not hyperbole to say he's been tabbed as the top talent in this draft for the last three years.
    If he's there and the Reds pass on him, I quite possibly could pass out and then wake up and kick something or somebody...hard.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  11. #85
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    T-minus 15.

    If it wasn't 9:45 in the morning, I'd say it' be a perfect Beer-30 moment.

  12. #86
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,784

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Well, Miller was the only top HS guy drafted that did not sign a contract. The 2003 HS class was a very impressive one, and nearly all of the top talent signed with MLB teams out of the draft. He has held his own as the top talent in the 2006 draft for about the entire time since he didnt sign and became a guy eligible for the 2006 draft. If the Reds get Miller....I might do something completley insane.

  13. #87
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    I watched a clip of Miller on ESPN motion last night. He states "85-92,93 MPH FB (2 seamer, which is where he gets his grounders). Also has a 4 seamer & cutter (he uses like a mini-slider) Slider 80-84,85 (only off speed pitch) and he can K people when he needs them but he is more interested in keeping his pitch count down this is why he gets so many GB's. He does state that he needs to work some on his control etc.

    If anyone wants to see it it's on ESPN's front page 2nd section (spotlight section) down on the left under MLB draft.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #88
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Well, Miller was the only top HS guy drafted that did not sign a contract. The 2003 HS class was a very impressive one, and nearly all of the top talent signed with MLB teams out of the draft. He has held his own as the top talent in the 2006 draft for about the entire time since he didnt sign and became a guy eligible for the 2006 draft. If the Reds get Miller....I might do something completley insane.
    Stubbs was also a non-signed HS player in the 3rd round of 2003. Was picked 89th overall by the Astros.

  15. #89
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,784

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Totally forgot about that....Miller was the highest HS pick that didnt sign though, right?

  16. #90
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

    Looks like all the early picks have already signed deals

    arly Picks May Have Done Deals
    12:46 p.m.: A source familiar with the negotiations says the teams and the players that will be picks at Nos. 2-3-4 have agreed to financial parameters. The Rockies will give Stanford righthander Greg Reynolds $3.25 million; the Devil Rays will pay Long Beach State third baseman Evan Longoria $3 million; and the Pirates will dole out $2.75 million to Houston righthander Brad Lincoln.
    --Jim Callis


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25