Turn Off Ads?
Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1061

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

That's what the draft tracker says. It says "NO SCHOOL", so it's possible that he really is 28. I have no idea.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    That's what the draft tracker says. It says "NO SCHOOL", so it's possible that he really is 28. I have no idea.
    maybe he's a cuban.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Round 18: Hey, a guy with a scouting report:

Ryan Wehrle, SS, U. Nebraska at Lincoln

"As a draft-eligible sophomore, signability is a concern, but he's a comer in a class weak on college bats. A good hitter with developing power, he may play at SS as a pro, but his bat will play at third base down the road."

A) At 6'3" and 0 pounds, he could probably use a good meal.

B) So does his bat take up a roster spot if it's going to play next to him in the infield?

Further insult on my mock draft: my second-rounder, catcher Mike Ambort (Lamar)... went to Oakland in round eighteen.

Boston drafts 1B Lars Anderson.
    Boston has had the best day 1 of the draft IMO.. great drafting. Good chances, and solid talent.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Who are the best players still available?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He's in this draft?

I'd take a chance on him.
    He is in this draft. The Royals have allegedly expressed interest, and the Yankees invited him for a pre-draft workout. From what I've read, he only pitches in the high 80s, but he has some good movement on his fastball. I think a deceptive delivery is a factor that contributes to his success as well. He has a scholarship to a Junior College in NM, so he may not sign depending on where he is drafted.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

That sounds like a draft and follow possability for some team.

Any Idea on who took ZacH Britton ?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...ws/261628.html
    Worth A Look
    6:25 p.m.: There obviously aren't any sure things in the 15th round, but the Reds picked up a prospect with a lot of potential. Rafael Sanchez, a third baseman from Queensborough CC, has plus raw power and a strong arm, but he is very raw and might not have enough agility for third base. He has good upside, though, for a 15th-rounder.
    -- Aaron Fitt
    Sophomores Slide
    7:06 p.m.: A disappointing end to Nebraska's season continued today, as both of the Huskers sophomore-eligible draft candidates fell hard. Southpaw Tony Watson spent time this season being considered as a potential top-three rounder, but instead, he slid to pick 505 in the 17th round. His teammate, shortstop Ryan Wehrle, went 29 picks later, picked by the Reds. Given each player's draft day fall, there's a pretty good chance they could return to Lincoln this fall.
    -- Bryan Smith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Here is what John Manuel from BA said after the draft about LaPorta

Q: J.P. from IL asks:
    So, what's the deal with LaPorta today? Give us a rundown, please.
    A:

John Manuel: The quick answer is, he's got a bad body, no true position and he hasn't hit, and that's a bad mix when you put a huge price tag out there. One scout I talked to comped LaPorta to . . . Matt LeCroy. Yikes. That's fine, but it's not several million dollars worth of ballplayer.

This is probably the most disappointing draft day in recent memory. It only started with Stubbs. The number of big names who dropped multiple rounds just sat there for the taking. I was able to run through BA's blog and it was frightening to see some of the names projected to go in the top 3 rounds going into the teens.

So the question is: Is this ownership any different when it comes to money? I think we are being blinded by the amazing start the team has gotten off to b/c the only move where somewhat significant $ was involved was the Arroyo deal. I hope that Bob and Co. are saving some $ for the pennant push, b/c today was just ugly. This is not a scientifically proven statement, but it seems like the Reds could have gone through the draft and drafted a projected 1-3 round pick every round. But it seems like $ was on the minds of the front office during the draft.

This guy from NY, Dellin Betances, would have been a perfect pick by Cincy. Already committed to JUCO, throws absolute heat and he Yanks get him in the 9th. What's wrong with using a pick on a draft and follow ike this guy? Instead, it seemed like we got a bunch of players who have at least one sever flaw.

Now don't get me wrong, this FO is light years ahead of what used to be in place. They seem to care about the team on the field at GABP a lot more than the previous regime. The Phillips deal is proof of that. But for anyone who thinks Bob is going to throw money around at the deadline, this might be the first warning shot that things aren't much different around here in that respect.

GET OUT TO THE BALLPARK CINCY FANS!

repeated

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    This is probably the most disappointing draft day in recent memory. It only started with Stubbs. The number of big names who dropped multiple rounds just sat there for the taking. I was able to run through BA's blog and it was frightening to see some of the names projected to go in the top 3 rounds going into the teens.

So the question is: Is this ownership any different when it comes to money? I think we are being blinded by the amazing start the team has gotten off to b/c the only move where somewhat significant $ was involved was the Arroyo deal. I hope that Bob and Co. are saving some $ for the pennant push, b/c today was just ugly. This is not a scientifically proven statement, but it seems like the Reds could have gone through the draft and drafted a projected 1-3 round pick every round. But it seems like $ was on the minds of the front office during the draft.

This guy from NY, Dellin Betances, would have been a perfect pick by Cincy. Already committed to JUCO, throws absolute heat and he Yanks get him in the 9th. What's wrong with using a pick on a draft and follow ike this guy? Instead, it seemed like we got a bunch of players who have at least one sever flaw.

Now don't get me wrong, this FO is light years ahead of what used to be in place. They seem to care about the team on the field at GABP a lot more than the previous regime. The Phillips deal is proof of that. But for anyone who thinks Bob is going to throw money around at the deadline, this might be the first warning shot that things aren't much different around here in that respect.

What did you think of Travis Wood last year at this time?

And how was this a $$ pick? Stubbs was considered the best position player on the board and the Reds obviously loved his talent.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44

Ditto.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    What did you think of Travis Wood last year at this time?

And how was this a $$ pick? Stubbs was considered the best position player on the board and the Reds obviously loved his talent.
    What player are you thinking compares even slightly with Travis Wood?
    As for Stubbs, the fact that they were discussing contract terms with him tells me it was a $$ pick, because Andrew Miller almost fell into their lap.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    What player are you thinking compares even slightly with Travis Wood?
    As for Stubbs, the fact that they were discussing contract terms with him tells me it was a $$ pick, because Andrew Miller almost fell into their lap.
    "Talking" and "signing" are two different things. If Morrow or Miller falls in their lap, bye bye Stubbs.

Turn Off Ads?