Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    What's the deal with the Stubbs buzz? I've only watched a little bit of tape on him but I love his balance, he's said to be very strong, and his approach is good. What's the hangup from scouts?
    His tools are phenomenal but people are not sure about his bat. For such a high-level prospect swinging aluminum against college pitching, he struck out a lot. I don't know if he has poor plate discipline or just swings and misses. Nonetheless, it's a concern; the drafting team doesn't know if it's getting the next Griffey or the next Reggie Taylor.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

i love how mlb.com is showing video of the first 5 rounds, Bout Time.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    His tools are phenomenal but people are not sure about his bat. For such a high-level prospect swinging aluminum against college pitching, he struck out a lot. I don't know if he has poor plate discipline or just swings and misses. Nonetheless, it's a concern; the drafting team doesn't know if it's getting the next Griffey or the next Reggie Taylor.
    and its way more likely to be the next taylor

What's the deal with the Stubbs buzz? I've only watched a little bit of tape on him but I love his balance, he's said to be very strong, and his approach is good. What's the hangup from scouts?

Is this just a case of other teams trying to bury him so he falls? It happens more than you might think.
    Supposedly he's got a big hole in his swing (at least that's been the scouting knock on him). Maybe that's a concern or maybe he's just a guy who's going to whiff a lot on his way to good numbers, but scouts have worried about his ability to make consistent hard contact (supposedly he didn't fare well with wood bats for Team USA). BA rated him as the #11 overall prospect and said he'd be a back of the first round guy in a draft with a stronger crew of position players.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What does aluminum or wood have to do with striking out? His OBP doesn't seem to indicate a plate discipline problem to me. I would not be unhappy with a Stubbs pick from what I've read and reviewed in his stats. We do not have a difference making cfer, and neither Bruce or Szymanski are pure CFers.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

This probably explains why Moore is willing to work with the current KC scouting staff. From BP:

Scouting Director: Deric Ladnier. Ladnier played seven years in the Royals system and then spent nine years in the Atlanta front office (where he worked with new GM Dayton Moore) where he advanced from area scout to farm director. He was hired as the Royals scouting director in 2001 and is overseeing his sixth draft in Kansas City. His first draft was a debacle, as the Royals selected way-to-raw fireballer Colt Griffin in the first round and outfielder Roscoe Crosby, who got paid without having ever played a game, in the second round. Ladnier's made up for it since with some solid drafts at the top over the past three years, though tight budgets often limited his flexibility after the first few rounds. When I think of people to blame for the Royals' miserable state, Ladnier isn't near the top of the list.
    Atlanta may not have seriously scouted the players the Royals are considering, given the draft positions, so it may be a case where Moore doesn't feel like he knows enough to overrule his scouting director, especially if it's a guy he's comfortable with in the first place. He'll probably go with their pick as long as it meets the signability concerns, whatever they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Depends on who we passed on to take Stubbs. I like Stubbs, but I think the Reds would be better off nabbing a college pitcher at #8 since there is a drop off fairly quickly (before the Reds 2nd pick for sure) in talent with those college pitchers.

If the Reds go Stubbs and then a high school project pitcher at #2, and a reach MI pick at #3, I would be upset.

I'd like to see them go college pitcher, high school bat, high school or college pitcher in the first 3 rounds. I think if they went that way, they'd get good value with each pick in this draft. Hard to tell who will be on the board to project 2nd and 3rd picks, though.
    I'm actually hoping for college pitcher 1st, then college or HS pitcher 2nd (maybe Walden if he falls?) and then best bat available 3rd.

What's the deal with the Stubbs buzz?
    I heard he doesn't know the infield fly rule....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    What does aluminum or wood have to do with striking out?
    Aluminum bats are lighter and theoretically easier to control, so if a guy is having trouble making contact, it won't get better when he switches to wood. But like I said, I don't know the breakdown of Stubbs' whiffs. I just know it's been stated as a concern.

If you look at the Reds system, there aren't many great athletes. Dickerson is one, Syzmanski is one, but they don't have very many. Athletic players are important -- we've all seen the difference a guy like Phillips makes in the Reds infield. Nobody wants a beer league type team.

I assume the Reds see Stubbs as being in the mold of a Mantle type player (not nearly the prospect MM was, but that type). Obviously, the guy may not be a pure hitter, which reduces his value, but pure centerfielders with power are pretty rare commodities.

I trust these guys to make a reasonable decision and would be ok with Stubbs. Unfortunate that Reds, with all their losing seasons, don't have a top 3 pick. They did one year, but we all know what happened then. . . .

Atlanta may not have seriously scouted the players the Royals are considering, given the draft positions, so it may be a case where Moore doesn't feel like he knows enough to overrule his scouting director, especially if it's a guy he's comfortable with in the first place. He'll probably go with their pick as long as it meets the signability concerns, whatever they are.
    While I can understand that line of thinking to an extent, this is THE big decision the Royals will make this year.

At the very least you'd think Moore would want to make sure the franchise was going about making the decision in the right fashion. Even if Moore's not supplying the name, he could be asking questions like "Is this the guy we want or the guy we think we can sign?"

Aluminum bats are lighter and theoretically easier to control, so if a guy is having trouble making contact, it won't get better when he switches to wood. But like I said, I don't know the breakdown of Stubbs' whiffs. I just know it's been stated as a concern.
    I have an easy solution to the problem, and that is MLB pooling resources to fund wood bats for college programs. The dough they spend to do so could theoretically be saved in bonuses given to aluminum bat wonders that flame when they go to wood.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Unfortunate that Reds, with all their losing seasons, don't have a top 3 pick.
    If Miller falls to them, it's like having a #1 pick ... provided you actually pick the #1 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Even if Moore's not supplying the name, he could be asking questions like "Is this the guy we want or the guy we think we can sign?"
    Sure. But holding the #1 pick, one would think they've already had the signability discussions. One would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    If you look at the Reds system, there aren't many great athletes. Dickerson is one, Syzmanski is one, but they don't have very many. Athletic players are important -- we've all seen the difference a guy like Phillips makes in the Reds infield. Nobody wants a beer league type team.

I assume the Reds see Stubbs as being in the mold of a Mantle type player (not nearly the prospect MM was, but that type). Obviously, the guy may not be a pure hitter, which reduces his value, but pure centerfielders with power are pretty rare commodities.

I trust these guys to make a reasonable decision and would be ok with Stubbs. Unfortunate that Reds, with all their losing seasons, don't have a top 3 pick. They did one year, but we all know what happened then. . . .
    thats right, but then you have to ask yourself, is what he brings more valuable then say what lincecum or morrow bring, or whoever is the pitcher. i dont believe it is, as much as i want def and speed infused into our team and system. also, i think im gonna puke if i hear another who cares if he so, he walks a lot discussion.

Turn Off Ads?