Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Can't believe the Rockies didn't take Langoria.. they were high on him all week supposedly.. Reynolds was overdrafted IMO..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Longoria goes #3 to the Rays.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

One Man Army

Microphone troubles?

Brad Lincoln goes #4 to the Pirates.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Pierats take Lincoln.. so far shaking down as expected..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Why doesn't TB realize they need pitching?

reynolds to colorado

Morrow goes #5 to the Mariners.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

How are you getting these picks so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Seattle takes Marrow

-Hunter S. Thompson

Here are some players from my hometown that I would like to see the Reds take chances on. A couple were near top 5 round consideration.
    http://starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs....02/1005/SPORTS
    MLB draft could have local flavor

By Chuck Carree
    Staff Writer
    chuck.carree@starnewsonline.com

If things go as projected, three local players will be chosen today in the annual Major League Baseball Draft held in the commissioner’s office in New York.

The group of selected players is expected to grow on Wednesday’s final day.

Experts predict UNC-Wilmington’s Chris Hatcher and John Raynor will be the first area players drafted. The only question is which who goes first?

Baseball America considers Raynor, a senior center fielder, the eighth overall in-state prospect, three spots ahead of Hatcher, a junior switch-hitting catcher.

But six scouts all said Hatcher would go ahead of Raynor. One scout said Hatcher could go in the fourth or fifth round because of a dearth of catching.

“A lot of people don’t know if he’s going to hit, but there isn’t a lot of catchers available,’’ the scout said.

In addition to Raynor and Hatcher, former Wilmington Sharks, ex-Laney High School star and former University of North Carolina speedster Blair Waggett also is projected to go today.

“I like him,’’ the same scout said. “We got him in low – the 15th to 20th round. “He’s a lot stronger than you’d think. He’s an interesting guy.’’

Waggett played three years for the Tar Heels before transferring to Campbell. On the Camels’ scout day, he ran 60 yards in 6.37 seconds, making him one of the swiftest outfield prospects.

Some scouts said he strikes out too much, especially chasing high pitches; Baseball America called him a middle-round sleeper.

Since the draft is 50 rounds, several local players might be taken Wednesday, most notably Laney senior Samson Williams, a raw but athletic outfielder headed for Louisburg College.

He projects as a draft and follow player – meaning the team that selects him controls his contract rights for nearly a year, until one week before next year’s draft. It is standard practice for players going to junior college.

“He’s a good-looking athlete,’’ one scout said. “He may need a little more time before going out to the minor leagues. He just needs time to develop. He runs well, has a good arm and a nice swing. He just mis-hits some balls. He looks like he needs some more at-bats.’’

Besides Williams, some scouts say UNCW’s Adam Paul, Matt Poulk, Michael Marbry and Thomas Benton also could go late.

Paul, a sidearm relief pitcher, and Benton, who set a school single-season record with 120 2/3 innings pitched, seem to have the best chances.

“I would take him,’’ one scout said of Paul. “He’s got enough velocity if he hits his spots and throws strikes with his changeup.’’

Poulk and Marbry are regarded as fill-ins, meaning teams take them to round out a rookie league or Short A roster.

One scout also called Benton a fill-in, but two other scouts like him.

Benton throws across his body when delivering pitches. It is not a picturesque motion, but another scout considered it an asset.

“Benton is a guy who has a deceptive delivery, making it hard to pick up the ball for a batter,’’ the scout said. “He is not overpowering. He knows he has to allow contact and rely on his defense to make plays behind him.’’

But most local draft talks center around Hatcher and Raynor.

“Hatcher is an athletic catcher with a good arm,’’ one scout said. “He’s a switch-hitter, which helps. His body is still kind of projectable. I don’t think he’s fully-grown yet as far as strength goes.’’

Raynor was a 12th-round pick by the Baltimore Orioles last year and one scout called him one of the fastest players in the nation. Another scout gave him a 70 grade on a scale of 80 for speed. Twenty represents the slowest and 50 is an average runner.

The same scout called Raynor’s arm playable and said he had average power. Like with Hatcher, he wondered if Raynor could hit professional pitching.

Chuck Carree: 343-2262

chuck.carree@starnewsonline.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Brad Lincoln goes #4 to the Pirates.
    Wow you're ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Miller goes to Detroit.. DAMN!

-Hunter S. Thompson

Detroit takes ANDREW MILLER #6.

Damn.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Miller to Detroit. Oh well....

Turn Off Ads?