Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Astros take Max Sapp at #23.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Wow Bruce and Stubbs in Dayton. Our pitchers got to love that because they will catch everything.
    With the Reds pitching, the only way they catch everything is if they also have the ability to scale walls and climb into the outfield seats.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    That doesn;t tell me anything about the guy we did take or who we should have taken instead.
    IMO, if a guy's biggest question mark is hitting then it would be tough to justify a top 10 pick. Especially when you lack pitching and a lot of the top rated pitchers on the board are available. The lineup is set for the most part with youth. And Stubbs being from college tells me that they either expect one of Dunn, AK or Bruce not to be patrolling the OF in a few years. Whether it be Dunn to 1B or one of them to another team.

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    I cant believe the thought process on this board... you take the best available player... you dont address big league current needs throught the amatuer draft. Obviously Stubbs was a higher rated prospect on the reds draft board than any available college pitcher. Reaching for needs is how you butcher the draft. This is this administrations first draft, give them the benefit of the draft.
    HE WASNT BPA. THATS THE PROBLEM, at least for me

Thanks Josh.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Astros take a catcher...

Max Sapp

heh
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

So basically everyone's mad because they didn't take a pitcher. I have to ask, does it really make sense to draft according to today's need when the player picked isn't going to see the Major Leagues for a few years? What might be a strength today could be a weakness in 2009, or vice versa. For all we know the Reds could have a solid staff and a rotten outfield then. The point is, you have to take the best player available because you don't know what you're future needs will be. If you've overloaded one spot then you've got some trading chips to fill in another. If this guy isn't good enough to be picked in this spot (I know nothing about college and high school ball so I don't know) that's one thing. But to complain about the position just doesn't make sense to me.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I like Sapp a lot. If he stays behind the plate, he's a future Mike Piazza

Braves take John Johnson, a HS player. Not sure I know him.

Crawford Mosely HS in FLA.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    IMO, if a guy's biggest question mark is hitting then it would be tough to justify a top 10 pick. Especially when you lack pitching and a lot of the top rated pitchers on the board are available. The lineup is set for the most part with youth. And Stubbs being from college tells me that they either expect one of Dunn, AK or Bruce not to be patrolling the OF in a few years. Whether it be Dunn to 1B or one of them to another team.
    dunn traded for pitching. stubbs takes up his k's and we get pitching

I should note that I don't hate Stubbs, though I consider him an over-reach and I wish the club had gone for one of the primo arms left on the board.

On the bright side, it could be worse. Look at that dog of pick the Cubs made at #13.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    I cant believe the thought process on this board... you take the best available player... you dont address big league current needs throught the amatuer draft. Obviously Stubbs was a higher rated prospect on the reds draft board than any available college pitcher. Reaching for needs is how you butcher the draft. This is this administrations first draft, give them the benefit of the draft.
    There is no way that Drew Stubbs was the BPA. That would probably have been Kyle Drabek. Drabek has the best stuff of any pitcher in the draft. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Reds need pitching, it has to do with the fact that Stubbs has serious concerns about his bat, and I cant comprehend taking a top 10 pick and using it on a guy who you question will ever hit in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I'd push Szymanski to Sarasota and start Stubbs at Dayton.
    Other way around. Stubbs probably played better competition than Dayton this year already and Szymanski can't hit in Low A.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    So basically everyone's mad because they didn't take a pitcher. I have to ask, does it really make sense to draft according to today's need when the player picked isn't going to see the Major Leagues for a few years? What might be a strength today could be a weakness in 2009, or vice versa. For all we know the Reds could have a solid staff and a rotten outfield then. The point is, you have to take the best player available because you don't know what you're future needs will be. If you've overloaded one spot then you've got some trading chips to fill in another. If this guy isn't good enough to be picked in this spot (I know nothing about college and high school ball so I don't know) that's one thing. But to complain about the position just doesn't make sense to me.
    thats not why i wanted a pitcher. i wanted a pitcher cause pitchers, IMO, were BPA's on board

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Stubbs was considered a borderline first-round talent coming out of high school in 2003. He would have signed with the Astros for $900,000 as a third-rounder if Major League Baseball hadn't persuaded Houston owner Drayton McLane not to exceed its bonus recommendation. Had he turned pro then, scouts wouldn't have to fret over his bat now. The best athlete in college baseball, Stubbs is a potential Gold Glove center fielder with plus raw power, plus-plus speed and an average arm. Though he has improved his approach and is using the whole field more as a junior, scouts believe his bat is far from a sure thing. He has struck out roughly once a game throughout his Longhorns career, and his contact rate hasn't improved this spring. He also hit a soft .304 with wood bats while on Team USA last summer. He still ranks second behind only Evan Longoria among position prospects in 2006. In last year's draft, which was much deeper in hitters, Stubbs would have lasted until the late first round. But with a scarcity of position players this year, he could go as high as No. 6 overall to the Tigers and probably won't get past the top 10 picks.

His main wart seems to be whiffing. Not real sure that warrants all the reaction.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?