Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by redssouth
    I cant believe the thought process on this board... you take the best available player... you dont address big league current needs throught the amatuer draft. Obviously Stubbs was a higher rated prospect on the reds draft board than any available college pitcher. Reaching for needs is how you butcher the draft. This is this administrations first draft, give them the benefit of the draft.
    Stubbs has way too many flaws in his game to be a Top-10 pick, especially considering most scouts were disappointed with his power in college using an aluminum bat.

I dispise taking college hitters in the first round of the draft, so maybe I'm just personally biased here.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

I cant believe the thought process on this board... you take the best available player... you dont address big league current needs throught the amatuer draft. Obviously Stubbs was a higher rated prospect on the reds draft board than any available college pitcher. Reaching for needs is how you butcher the draft. This is this administrations first draft, give them the benefit of the draft.
    A college hitter who averaged a K per game for his career and who has all kinds of question marks about his ability to hit with wood is not the best available player when there's college pitchers available who regularly pitch in the mid to upper 90s with success.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I should note that I don't hate Stubbs, though I consider him an over-reach and I wish the club had gone for one of the primo arms left on the board.

On the bright side, it could be worse. Look at that dog of pick the Cubs made at #13.
    This is how I feel.

I have nothing against Stubbs, I just had my hopes up of getting a top notch college arm.

Braves must be hurting for money. MLB doesn't even have a scouting report.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Other way around. Stubbs probably played better competition than Dayton this year already and Szymanski can't hit in Low A.
    what makes stubbs ready for that level. he and szymanski did about the same in college and had the same flaws IMO.

thats where i think he starts, im just sayin

Cruisin' for trouble

At least the inevitable strikeouts debates won't only include Dunn.

Angels take Hank Conger.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Braves with the first big reach of the draft. Taking a guy rated 82nd overall with the 22nd pick.

But he is a high schooler from the southeast. Fits the profile.

This pick tells me Griffey doesn't have much time left in CF nor Dunn in LF.

Kriv wants better D, much better D, Buckley took Gabe Gross in Toronto, so that should tell you something. After Miller,Morrow,Lincoln and Hoch were gone, it was academic.

Fine, except nowhere on the planet was Stubbs rated as the best player on the board when the Reds picked him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    This is how I feel.

I have nothing against Stubbs, I just had my hopes up of getting a top notch college arm.
    I would have loved to see a future of Bailey, Wood, Scherzer and Walden (2nd round hopeful).

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    Stubbs and Bruce could be the future of the Reds outfield. I don't love the pick but I am willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.
    Yes, you give the kid a break, but if he's languishing in High A or AA ball hitting .230/15 HRs/45 RBIs there will be plenty of reasons to blame management - the warning signs were there.

Hopefully they believe he will hit and hopefully they're right.

Dogers take Avery Morris, RHP, likely a draft and follow at # 26
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    This pick tells me Griffey doesn't have much time left in CF nor Dunn in LF.
    Why? Stubbs won't be ML ready until Griffey's close to out the door anyway.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Red Sox take Jason Place at #27.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?