Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Has Danny Almonte been taken yet?
    The Reds haven't made their 5th round pick yet

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    10 minute break before round five starts
    Wow. That's ridiculous.

Is it really necessary to have a break after every round? I don't ever remember them doing this.

This might be a decent draft - if these were picks 9-13. I'm particularily impressed that we spent two top5 picks on our future CF and his possible future backup (not to mention a honest-to-gosh utility infield prospect) while completely ignoring starting pitchers and corner bats. And I had such high hopes...<sigh>

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

137. KC

138. Colorado

139. TB

140. Pittsburgh

141. Seattle

142. Detroit

143. Dodgers

144. Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    They can create a new kind of platoon, a road/home one.
    They will certainly have enough centerfielders to platoon.

Maybe the theory is that it takes 10 centerfielders to replace Ken Griffey, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Tell that to Ol' Man Griff...
    that's the exact reason they can get away with playing him in CF. The penalty is much less in those 81 home games. If their home park was Comerica, or a number of others, Jr would not be the everyday CF but in GABP the penalty for his lack of speed is negated to an extent by having much less ground to cover.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It seems fairly likely that Buckley and the Reds will try to convert Watson to starting, a la David Bush (also a 2nd round pick). But here's the obvioulsy-begged question: why go to the trouble? Why not take a guy who's ALREADY a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    It seems fairly likely that Buckley and the Reds will try to convert Watson to starting, a la David Bush (also a 2nd round pick). But here's the obvioulsy-begged question: why go to the trouble? Why not take a guy who's ALREADY a starter?
    They must really be enthralled by that knuckle curve.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Buckley is either stupid, or unconventional. I love what he did was David Bush though, have to give him credit there. I'd love to have a David Bush in the reds rotation. So maybe he sees the same kinds of qualities. We can only hope..

Or perhaps he steps into the pen this year :P
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Brandon Belt is still on the board. So is LaPorta.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I would convert him to a starter just to see how it works out. Richie Gardner also had underwhelming stats in his last season at Arizona, and he turned out quite well before going down to injury, however, there is one big difference between Gardner and Watson - Richie wa a 6th rounder, Watson is a 2nd rounder. They should have taken someone who was already a starter, say a Steven Wright.

I think the Reds are filling holes here. A college athletic outfielder (in case current OFs leave). An advanced reliever (certainly a need area). A utility infielder (as RA gets older). Perhaps you're right, but I think they would like to stockpile relievers, particularly with all the older guys now in the pen.

The number of people in this thread has dropped rather dramatically. Its like going to a ballgame and getting whipped ala Josh Beckett last night... The crowd leaves early.. heh.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Round 5 starts:

KC takes J. Godin P Old Dominion

Round 5 has started
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?