Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    Dodgers take Kyle Smit

Reds are on the clock.
    Well, I guess Smit does indeed happen
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds take Joshua Ravin RHP Chatsworth HS.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

137. KC- Jason Godin, RHP, Old Dominion

138. Colorado- Helder Velasquez, SS, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy HS

139. TB- Shawn O'Malley, SS, Washington HS

140. Pittsburgh- Patrick Bresnehan, RHP, Arizona St. U.

Announcers still pimping LaPorta at this point.

141. Seattle- Nathan Adcock, RHP, Kentucky HS (North Hardin)

142. Detroit- Scott Sizemore, 2B/SS, Virginia Commonwealth U.

143. Dodgers- Kyle Smit, RHP, Nevada HS

144. Cincinnati- Joshua Ravin, RHP, California HS

No info.

Josh Ravin RHP from HS
    Go BLUE!!!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Chatsworth righthander Josh Ravin was also dealing with health issues, which haven't required surgery but did sideline him for a month with a tired arm. He was recovering the velocity on his 89-91 mph fastball, which has touched 92-93 regularly in the past, and showing a decent changeup (which was better early in the year and last fall) and serviceable breaking ball. Ravin is considered signable and moved ahead of Agoura High's Jason Stoffel, who entered the year battling with Chris Tillman as the top prep pitcher in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Part of the "Luxury Tax" should include forfeiture of draft picks as well as cash payments.

Or something along those lines.
    I disagree. You can't blatantly penalize success (and let's face it, the big market teams are a success). If the Yanks/Red Sox get penalized enough, that brings down the entire industry.

Small market teams can trade for guys and let them walk and get the picks. The Reds could've offered Aurillia arb last year and let him walk, for example, but they didn't. The Reds could've kept Randa, offered him arb and got a draft pick.. Of course, there are risks with that strategy, but Boston assumes the same risks. I seem to recall Oakland having something like 5 or 6 picks in the first two round a few years ago.. Small market teams can work the system (if they chose).

Not only that, but every year, there's some nice high school players that fall because they seem commited to college. There's always the option to pick one of those guys in round 30 and throw money at them.. that's pretty much equivalent to getting a sandwhich pick.. Look at Adam Dunn. The Reds were the only team willing to court him because everyone else assumed he'd play football. Small market teams can win at the draft (look at Florida, Oakland and Cleveland). They just have to be smart. The Reds haven't been smart in recent history (as well as several other small markets). That's why Boston looks to have an unfair advantage.

Not to mention that Cincy has put about zero energy into Latin America for the past 5 years. It's the Reds fault they have no farm system, not Boston's.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The scouting video looks solid.. Mechanics look okay.. Doesn't fall over himself. Fastball has some late life, boring action to it from what I saw..

The fastball needs to get up a tick tho.. the velocity isn't there.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Ravin is 6'4"/195#, which is a good projectable pitcher's body.

145. Baltimore- Bobby Henson, SS, Oklahoma HS

146. SF- Michael McBryde, OF, Florida Atlantic U.

147. Arizona- Hector Ambriz, RHP, UCLA

148. Texas- Christopher Davis, 1B, Navarro JC

149. Cubs- Jeff Samardzija, U. of Notre Dame

Man, that guy slid. Guess it's because of him playing WR for the football team.

150. Toronto- Luke Hopkins, 1B, New Mexico St.

6'2"/240#.

151. Washington- Cory Vanallen, LHP, Baylor U.

A third-round pick in 2003, but didn't improve like Stubbs or Miller. Now he slides

152. Milwaukee-Chris Errecart, OF, U. Cal-Berkeley

153. SD- Andrew Underwood, RHP, Fresno St.

154. Mets- Stephen Holmes, RHP, U. of Rhode Island

155. Florida- David Hatcher, C, UNC-Wilmington

156. Minnesota- Devin Shepherd, RF, California HS

Big football player type.

157. Philadelphia- Quintin Berry, CF, San Diego St. U.

158. Oakland- Jermaine Mitchell, CF, UNC-Greensboro

159. Houston- Casey Hudspeth, RHP, U. of South Florida

160. Atlanta- Kevin Gunderson, LHP, Oregon State U.

Just a profile on him this weekend in the Oregonian. He's a reliever with a rubber arm. His uncle Eric Gunderson was a LOOGY in the bigs for a decade.

161. Cleveland- Chris Archer, RHP, North Carolina HS

162. Angels- Kenneth Herndon, RHP, Gulf Coast CC (FL)

163. Boston- Dustin Richardson, LHP, Texas Tech U.

164. Yankees- George Kontos, RHP, Northwestern

165. White Sox- John Shelby, 2B, U. of Kentucky

Son of former MLBer of same name.

166. Cardinals- Shane Robinson, OF, Florida St.

I must have made a crappy third-round pick in the mock draft (HS RHP Nathan Karns). He hasn't been picked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I disagree. You can't blatantly penalize success (and let's face it, the big market teams are a success). If the Yanks/Red Sox get penalized enough, that brings down the entire industry.

Small market teams can trade for guys and let them walk and get the picks. The Reds could've offered Aurillia arb last year and let him walk, for example, but they didn't. The Reds could've kept Randa, offered him arb and got a draft pick.. Of course, there are risks with that strategy, but Boston assumes the same risks. I seem to recall Oakland having something like 5 or 6 picks in the first two round a few years ago.. Small market teams can work the system (if they chose).

Not only that, but every year, there's some nice high school players that fall because they seem commited to college. There's always the option to pick one of those guys in round 30 and throw money at them.. that's pretty much equivalent to getting a sandwhich pick.. Look at Adam Dunn. The Reds were the only team willing to court him because everyone else assumed he'd play football. Small market teams can win at the draft (look at Florida, Oakland and Cleveland). They just have to be smart. The Reds haven't been smart in recent history (as well as several other small markets). That's why Boston looks to have an unfair advantage.

Not to mention that Cincy has put about zero energy into Latin America for the past 5 years. It's the Reds fault they have no farm system, not Boston's.
    The Reds put "energy" into LA in 2004, it takes time for those guys to come through the pipes, Johnny Cueto is the first legit pitching prospect from there in a long time.

Cubs take Jeff Samardjia, WR from Notre Dame (Dwayne Jarrett is better )

Cubs take Jeffrey Samardzjia from Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Ravin is 6'4"/195#, which is a good projectable pitcher's body.
    Very true, wouldn't be surprised to see him up the velocity as he grows. The curve needs tightened up a bit... i liked what i saw on the video though..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I think the Reds are filling holes here. A college athletic outfielder (in case current OFs leave). An advanced reliever (certainly a need area). A utility infielder (as RA gets older). Perhaps you're right, but I think they would like to stockpile relievers, particularly with all the older guys now in the pen.
    You may be right KC, but I certainly hope not. All but the most elite picks are still 2-3 years away, so drafting to fill current holes on the ML roster makes little sense.

OFs w/ questionable bats, relievers with mediocre numbers backup CF and utility infielders can be had in the form of journeyman veterans. That is why you take the Best Player Available instead of what your current needs are. If nothing else, draft wisely and you can trade over-stocked positions for future needs.

Cubs take Sshcmardjaa...that kid from Notre Dame.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Anyone else look at Ravin's video on MLB.com? I'm no expert, but isn't his arm a little bit ahead of his body in his delivery? Plus I prefer guys with a tad bit more leg drive.

On a more serious note, the center fielder behind him in one of the early clips is definitely doing the pee-pee dance. Hurry up and get that third out, Josh, so this guy can get to a Port-O-Let!
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?