Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I don't mind a position play either, but not an outfielder. 2 of our top prospects (Bruce and Deno) are outfielders, and Dunn and Kearns are both only 26.
    You can always trade an impact position player for pitching though. Bowden made the comment that when Piazza was traded to the Mets that the 3 arms that Florida got in return would've easily been 1st round picks if they were in the draft.

Last year, it was reported that DanO could've gotten Cliff Lee for Kearns. We got Arroyo for Pena... That's why I firmly believe that the draft should be used to maximize talent regardless of position. If the first 5 picks of the Reds are OF, that's ok, IMO, as long as those guys were the best player available. Of course, that assumes the Reds have good talent evaluation guys, which hopefully they do.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    As Puffy posted in another thread, not only is Miller a giant southpaw with immense stuff (hard to hit, high K rate), 80% of his balls-in-play outs are grounders. This kid is the prototype for what the Reds should want in a pitcher.
    The post he was referring to:

Keith Law, formerly the special assistant to the general manager for the Toronto Blue Jays, is the senior baseball analyst for Scouts Inc. He debuts on ESPN.com with his top 20 prospects for Tuesday's first-year player draft.

1. Andrew Miller, LHP, University of North Carolina

Year School ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO Opp. BA K %
    2006 North Carolina 2.26 103.2 82 40 26 1 35 108 .217 26%
    2006 Chatham 1.65 49.0 22 11 9 1 23 66 .133 34%
    2005 North Carolina 2.98 96.2 78 45 32 4 52 104 .230 25%

The consensus No. 1 pick, Miller has been on prospect radar screens since he was a senior in high school in Florida, when he flashed a 94-95 mph fastball but fell out of the first round due to his seven-figure bonus demands. Tampa Bay selected him in the third round in 2003 but failed to sign him -- another parting gift from Chuck LaMar -- which has worked out well for Miller, who finds himself as the top left-handed starter in a draft thin on first-round talents. Miller's fastball sits in the low 90s, but he can run it up to 96-97 as needed, and he complements it with a plus breaking ball that he sweeps to left-handers but throws with more of a two-plane break to right-handers. Because he's 6-foot-6, Miller's delivery also causes trouble for left-handed hitters. And he was easily the best groundball pitcher among college starter prospects this year, with nearly 80 percent of his field outs coming on the ground.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    is the draft today or tomorrow?
    It starts in 24 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

My take is that if the Reds had the #1 pick, they'd be crazy to spend it on anyone but Andrew Miller, meaning that passing on him at #8 would only be crazier.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Look at what happened when they passed on Kazmir due to a false sense of "signablity" (Kazmir ended up getting less than Gruler).

Always take the best guy. Even if you have someone pull a JD Drew occasionally, you'll still finish ahead.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

For grins

Szymanski's last year at school
    .362AVG/.433OBP/.610SLG/1043OPS
    Stubbs last year at school
    .347AVG/.450OBP/.597SLG/1047OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    The post he was referring to:

Keith Law, formerly the special assistant to the general manager for the Toronto Blue Jays, is the senior baseball analyst for Scouts Inc. He debuts on ESPN.com with his top 20 prospects for Tuesday's first-year player draft.

1. Andrew Miller, LHP, University of North Carolina

Year School ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO Opp. BA K %
    2006 North Carolina 2.26 103.2 82 40 26 1 35 108 .217 26%
    2006 Chatham 1.65 49.0 22 11 9 1 23 66 .133 34%
    2005 North Carolina 2.98 96.2 78 45 32 4 52 104 .230 25%

The consensus No. 1 pick, Miller has been on prospect radar screens since he was a senior in high school in Florida, when he flashed a 94-95 mph fastball but fell out of the first round due to his seven-figure bonus demands. Tampa Bay selected him in the third round in 2003 but failed to sign him -- another parting gift from Chuck LaMar -- which has worked out well for Miller, who finds himself as the top left-handed starter in a draft thin on first-round talents. Miller's fastball sits in the low 90s, but he can run it up to 96-97 as needed, and he complements it with a plus breaking ball that he sweeps to left-handers but throws with more of a two-plane break to right-handers. Because he's 6-foot-6, Miller's delivery also causes trouble for left-handed hitters. And he was easily the best groundball pitcher among college starter prospects this year, with nearly 80 percent of his field outs coming on the ground.
    Ok, that is the kid I want!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    For grins
    To be fair, though, Szymanski played against Ivy League schools and Stubbs against the Big-12. Still, I see your point - give me a college pitcher, please.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Ok, that is the kid I want!

Reds nation would burst into song if the club drafted him. It's not hyperbole to say he's been tabbed as the top talent in this draft for the last three years.

All it will take is two little words for the Reds front office to gain genius status - "Andrew" and "Miller"
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Reds nation would burst into song if the club drafted him. It's not hyperbole to say he's been tabbed as the top talent in this draft for the last three years.
    If he's there and the Reds pass on him, I quite possibly could pass out and then wake up and kick something or somebody...hard.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

T-minus 15.

If it wasn't 9:45 in the morning, I'd say it' be a perfect Beer-30 moment.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well, Miller was the only top HS guy drafted that did not sign a contract. The 2003 HS class was a very impressive one, and nearly all of the top talent signed with MLB teams out of the draft. He has held his own as the top talent in the 2006 draft for about the entire time since he didnt sign and became a guy eligible for the 2006 draft. If the Reds get Miller....I might do something completley insane.

I watched a clip of Miller on ESPN motion last night. He states "85-92,93 MPH FB (2 seamer, which is where he gets his grounders). Also has a 4 seamer & cutter (he uses like a mini-slider) Slider 80-84,85 (only off speed pitch) and he can K people when he needs them but he is more interested in keeping his pitch count down this is why he gets so many GB's. He does state that he needs to work some on his control etc.

If anyone wants to see it it's on ESPN's front page 2nd section (spotlight section) down on the left under MLB draft.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Well, Miller was the only top HS guy drafted that did not sign a contract. The 2003 HS class was a very impressive one, and nearly all of the top talent signed with MLB teams out of the draft. He has held his own as the top talent in the 2006 draft for about the entire time since he didnt sign and became a guy eligible for the 2006 draft. If the Reds get Miller....I might do something completley insane.
    Stubbs was also a non-signed HS player in the 3rd round of 2003. Was picked 89th overall by the Astros.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Totally forgot about that....Miller was the highest HS pick that didnt sign though, right?

Looks like all the early picks have already signed deals

arly Picks May Have Done Deals
    12:46 p.m.: A source familiar with the negotiations says the teams and the players that will be picks at Nos. 2-3-4 have agreed to financial parameters. The Rockies will give Stanford righthander Greg Reynolds $3.25 million; the Devil Rays will pay Long Beach State third baseman Evan Longoria $3 million; and the Pirates will dole out $2.75 million to Houston righthander Brad Lincoln.
    --Jim Callis

Turn Off Ads?