Turn Off Ads?
Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21616768697071
Results 1,051 to 1,061 of 1061

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    What player are you thinking compares even slightly with Travis Wood?
    As for Stubbs, the fact that they were discussing contract terms with him tells me it was a $$ pick, because Andrew Miller almost fell into their lap.
    They probably were on the assumption Miller wasn't going to be there. Even if he was they might not have liked him. Argue ineptness maybe, but saying it's all about $$ without the facts doesn't add up.

And the Wood part was about the second guessing all day of his pick. I don't know if you were around at that point, but Wood was ripped from here to there on this site as a HORRIBLE pick.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here is more good info.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/261643.html
    Q: mike jo from memphis asks:
    reds fan big day im pumped who the reds gonna get will kershaw or morrow fall that far nope an outfielder i know baseball america got this one but as bad as reds need pitching but i cant disagree to much with wayne krivsky so my question what do you think at first glance of reds picks and quick rating against other teams(upper,middle of pack,bottom)did they sign milton loo thank s for youre time go baseball

A: John Manuel: Mike, I'll clean up your question at a later date. First, the Reds did sign Loo for around $220k. Loo hit three homers at the NJCAA World Series and was cleared medically on his elbow injury, so the Reds signed him. I'm a fan as I believe I have conveyed. Drew Stubbs is an exciting, exciting player, and one hard to pass up. Sean Watson could move quickly, as could Chris Valaika, a nice find in the third round. They got nice power arms later, with Josh Ravin, Jordan Smith, Travis Webb and Josh Roenicke. Those last three are probably relievers, but they have power arms.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    They probably were on the assumption Miller wasn't going to be there. Even if he was they might not have liked him. Argue ineptness maybe, but saying it's all about $$ without the facts doesn't add up.

And the Wood part was about the second guessing all day of his pick. I don't know if you were around at that point, but Wood was ripped from here to there on this site as a HORRIBLE pick.
    I wasnt around then, but Travis Wood was 1 pick, I think a lot of people are questioning nearly all of the picks...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I wasnt around then, but Travis Wood was 1 pick, I think a lot of people are questioning nearly all of the picks...
    I don't see many people questioning Stubbs. They seem to be questioning anything not a college pitcher. I guess that's something I don't quite understand.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

OK, well then maybe its me. I am questioning nearly every pick they made in the first 3 rounds, then nearly all rounds after round 5.

Free agent league average pitchers cost more than free agent league average CFs?

What did you think of Travis Wood last year at this time?

And how was this a $$ pick? Stubbs was considered the best position player on the board and the Reds obviously loved his talent.
    I will admit that I was shocked by the Travis Wood pick last year and he has obviously been awesome so far. But let's not deem him a total success yet. He's still in single A.

Watch when the signings start. Watch when all of these picks get les than the other picks around them. Then you'll see what was on their minds during the draft.

Let me ask you this...how would you feel if the Reds had this draft:

1) Take your pick, but we can talk about Lincecum, Max, Drabek or Bard over Stubbs.

2) Brett Anderson over Watson (who, by the way, looks about 275 lbs in his pics)

3) Britton, Buck or Chad Tracy over Valaika

Those three picks could have molded this draft and afterwards they could have went with more projects/signable guys. And the rest of the draft was littered with players (Walden, LaPorta, Betances, Belt, Melancon) who have more upside than some of these other picks. It just makes me sick. I thought this year was different.

Oh I remember it well , thats why I as a fan just sit back and hope for the best
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Oh I remember it well , thats why I as a fan just sit back and hope for the best
    And I'm not saying people shouldn't complain about picks, just that a MLB draft is incredibly volatile. You just don't know at this point.

no you dont, but id rather take my chances on a pitcher who is 21 and throws 95-98 on making it than a college cf with major questions about his bat

wehrle is a good pick, but its doubtfull we will be able to sign him since he is a soph. you never know how these guys will turn out, so its not like what we say means anything, but going purely on what i know about the guys, etc, this was a HORRIBLE draft

Turn Off Ads?