Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AZ pitcher Grimsley's house searched for [HGH] illegal drugs (6/7)

AZ pitcher Grimsley's house searched for [HGH] illegal drugs (6/7)

June 7, 2006, 12:06 AM ET

Grimsley reportedly admitted to illicit drug use
    ESPN.com news services

Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Jason Grimsley told federal investigators he used illegal performance-enhancing drugs, according to court documents unsealed late Tuesday.

Thirteen agents searched Grimsley's house in Scottsdale, Ariz., for six hours Tuesday, according to Internal Revenue Service Agent Mark Lessler, who would not say what they found.

In seeking a judge's permission for the search, investigators who cracked the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid scandal said Grimsley initially cooperated in the probe. He withdrew his assistance in April, but not before he allegedly made "extensive statements" about illegal drug use, "for the purpose of performance enhancement," according to the court documents.

IRS agent Jeff Novitsky told the federal judge that investigators wanted to search the right-hander's house for "any and all records showing contact or relationship with any and all amateur or professional athletes, athletic coaches or athletic trainers" regarding illicit drug use and purchases."

According to Novitsky, Grimsley told him the names of other players he believed were using, but the names of those players were blacked out of the court records.

"I have no comment about that and no idea about that," Grimsley told The Arizona Republic on Tuesday, hours before the Diamondbacks played the Philadelphia Phillies.

Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick issued a statement late Tuesday saying, "We were first informed of this situation late this afternoon. This is a federal investigation, and as long as it is active and ongoing, we are prohibited from making any further comments."

Grimsley began his big league career with Philadelphia in 1989 and has pitched for Cleveland, California, the New York Yankees, Kansas City, Baltimore and Arizona. He has a career record of 42-58 with a 4.77 ERA.

According to court documents, Grimsley failed a league drug test in 2003. Authorities said when he was cooperating, he admitted to using human growth hormone, amphetamines and steroids.

He added that amphetamine use was prevalent in pro baseball, and that it was placed in coffee in clubhouses -- marked "leaded" or "unleaded" to indicate which pots contained the drugs -- Novitsky wrote.

The Republic reported that Latino players were cited by Grimsley in the court documents as a major source of amphetamines, as were major leaguers on California teams who could easily travel to Mexico to buy the drugs.

The newspaper reported that the affidavit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Phoenix, said that Grimsley took delivery of two kits containing human growth hormone at his home on April 19.

Word of the Grimsley investigation comes nearly two months after an Illinois-based scientist prominent in the field of sports nutritional supplements pleaded guilty to supplying the BALCO lab with the performance-enhancing drug known as "the clear."

Patrick Arnold pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids to BALCO, a steroid ring that San Francisco investigators broke up two years ago. Those same authorities are targeting Grimsley.

Arnold is scheduled to be sentenced in August and most likely will face three months in jail and three months of home detention.

A federal grand jury in San Francisco is also investigating whether San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds lied under oath about using "the clear." A separate federal grand jury is probing who leaked Bonds' testimony from the BALCO investigation to the San Francisco Chronicle.

So far, the BALCO probe has netted guilty pleas from Arnold, BALCO president Victor Conte, Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson, BALCO vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2473485
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AZ pitcher Grimsley's house searched for illegal drugs (6/7)

Big news. I will be curious what kind of impact this will have on the Diamondbacks. These kind of negative situations can cause a team to loose focus. I'm sure there will be a lot of non-baseball questions they will have to answer over the next week or two.

Novitsky is the same guy that took one of the starring roles in Game of Shadows. Book makes him look like a badass, obsessed with getting rid of the crap. Any users in the league better be on alert. (Pretty interesting book by the way, if you can read about Bonds and not lose your lunch that is.)

According to Novitsky, Grimsley told him the names of other players he believed were using, but the names of those players were blacked out of the court records.

I've been hearing all morning he named names. How is that going to sit in a clubhouse? Is it going to push testing of hgh?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

This is about to get much more interesting.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

This is about HGH which is the obvious drug of choice at the moment as it is not detectable using current tests. This could really blow the lid of the "steroid" issue and finally start to clean up the game.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Yay!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would take a change in the CBA to allow blood testing, which is the only current way to detect HGH. Yes or no?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Grimsley was also the player who climbed through the clubhose ceiling to steal back Albert Belles corked bat.

July 15, 1994: In the first inning at Comiskey Park, Sox manager Gene Lamont accuses Indian slugger Albert Belle of using a corked bat, and umpire Dave Phillips confiscates the bat and stores it in the ump's dressing room. In a Mission Impossible caper revealed in 1999, the Indians Jason Grimsley crawls 100 feet along a ceiling, drops down into the dressing room, and exchanges Belle's bat for one of Paul Sorrento's. After the 32 Indian's win, the switch is discovered to the consternation of the umps and the White Sox. The Indians subsequently turn over one of Belle's bats and Belle is given a 10-day suspension, later reduced to seven games.

http://www.azcentral.com/pdfs/060706grimsley.pdf

The link above is the affadavit in which Grimsley talks. All the names are blacked out. Start reading around page 11 or so I think for the 'story' portion.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would take a change in the CBA to allow blood testing, which is the only current way to detect HGH. Yes or no?
    there is no current test for HGH. The way to handle this situation is start doing blood tests and keep the samples and tell players the MLB will go back and test samples when an HGH test becomes available.

It is being reported on ESPN that Grimsley told agents that "boatloads" of players were using HGH.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    It is being reported on ESPN that Grimsley told agents that "boatloads" of players were using HGH.
    I wonder how big the "boats" are.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006

HGH issue suddenly eruptsposted:

The powers that be in baseball claim ignorance about steroid use in the 1990s. We didn't have enough information, they say. Red flags didn't go up until the summer of 1998, they say. The media didn't do any stories, they say (as if that is a litmus test on whether they should do their jobs). We didn't knowingly turn a blind eye to the problem, they say.

They cannot say that now, as another performance-enhancer scandal breaks. Check out the stunning details contained within the affidavit on the Arizona Republic Web site: According to court documents, Jason Grimsley acknowledged using human growth hormone after feds anticipated a delivery of the stuff to his home and confiscated two kits. The IRS agent who prepared the affidavit also quotes Grimsley as saying he thought "boatloads" of players were getting HGH from the same source he was using, and Grimsley allegedly named names of players within the game; those names are blacked out in the public version of the affidavit.

Court documents do not equal a conviction, but the information within the affidavit is going to frighten folks within the game. Just like we knew that the details within the Ken Starr investigation on Monica Lewinsky would leak, you can bet that the blacked-out names in this affidavit will get out, and remember -- Grimsley played with the Phillies, the Indians, the Royals, the Angels, the Yankees, the Orioles, all over the map.
    To continue reading this article you must be an Insider. [sorry, I'm not]

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dolney_buster
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

That link I posted above shows the blacked out areas where he rolled on former team mates.

www.thesmokinggun.com also has the afidavit. If you go check out there collection of celebity mugshots, including Neon Deion.

Turn Off Ads?