Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yadier Molina quote.......

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Re: Yadier Molina quote.......

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    He can be very impressive when he's throwing in the low 90's with his fastball then come back with a 78 MPH change.

Milton's changeup this year has been VERY good.
    According to the article below on Reds.com, Milton has really developed his changeup in the past few weeks...and it shows!!!

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    "I think every time we were looking for a fastball he threw a changeup, and every time we were looking for a changeup, he threw a fastball," Molina said. "He's a great pitcher, one of the best in the National League."

He was talking about Milton. After last season, I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I'd ever hear a major league player saying this about Eric Milton.

Don't get me wrong, I still have my reservations about him, but he is showing he knows how to pitch if healthy.
    Throughout the last few years, I've noticed that Cardinals players often compliment players on the other team after a losing game. I think it's the right thing to do, and it shows sportsmanship. If you think the opposing pitcher had a great game, then admit it. Don't say that he was lucky, or that it was only because you had a bad game. I've noticed the opposite from Astros players. They never seem to give credit to their opponent. When they lose a game, they seem to say that it was because they had a bad day, or they didn't do something right. Sometimes, the opposing pitcher is just too good for you. It may be tough to admit, but it shows good sportsmanship if you can admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Let's stop shopping everybody and play ball. I think this team is the real deal and we're going to stay in contention all season.

AMEN

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    Good points but I would not include Mulder in the discussion of pitchers to go after. he has not been very impressive in the few times I have seen him. He and Hudson have both slipped up in their second seasons away from Oakland.
    Ok, I haven't really followed him this year. I was just trying to throw out some names of high profile free agent pitchers this fall. Maybe Mulder is a bad example then.

IMO, the best way to attract a free agent starter is to keep Milton (if Milton is doing well). No one is going to want to come to Cincy just to be trade bait the following year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Ok, I haven't really followed him this year. I was just trying to throw out some names of high profile free agent pitchers this fall. Maybe Mulder is a bad example then.

IMO, the best way to attract a free agent starter is to keep Milton (if Milton is doing well). No one is going to want to come to Cincy just to be trade bait the following year.
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I know Milton pitched a great game yesterday, but don't you really have to give a lot of credit to David Ross? I mean if batters are being constantly kept off balance by getting pitches they're not expecting it's the catcher who should get the kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    I know Milton pitched a great game yesterday, but don't you really have to give a lot of credit to David Ross? I mean if batters are being constantly kept off balance by getting pitches they're not expecting it's the catcher who should get the kudos.
    You make an excellent point. Catchers often do not get the credit they deserve when their pitchers are successful. From what I've seen, I really like how Ross handles this staff.

Milton has pitched well with the other catchers too.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Those of you clamoring for a trade of Milton as soon as humanly possible realize that he can be traded in the offseason too, right? If he manages to finish the season with a dozen wins and an ERA around the 4.50 range, he'll have some suitors. I'm not completely averse to trading him DURING the season--even if the Reds are contending--provided the Reds get something of value in return. I'm past the point of asking only for a bucket of balls for Milton. If he's pitching effectively and the Reds are contending, I'm in no huge rush to deal him. Keep all of your options open--including keeping him.
    Jimmy Haynes says, "Howdy!"

It is always better to trade a player too soon than too late. Milton may just make it through the season with a 4.50-ish ERA, but it is certainly not a sure thing. In fact, it is more likely that he ends the year with an ERA close to 5.00. As he sits with his ERA currently at 4.14, that means that he is due for some stinkers coming up soon. I certainly don't want those stinkers thrown while in a Reds uniform from a competetive standpoint. Those stinkers will torpedo any hope of trading him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    He certainly does, and the Reds say "D'Oh" for re-sgining him after his 15 win year. I didn't say Milton was, forever more, going to be a productive pitcher--only that there would be a market for him if he finished with the numbers I posted. And there would be.

It is always better to trade a player too soon than too late. Milton may just make it through the season with a 4.50-ish ERA, but it is certainly not a sure thing. In fact, it is more likely that he ends the year with an ERA close to 5.00. As he sits with his ERA currently at 4.14, that means that he is due for some stinkers coming up soon.
    Milton has been an effective pitcher in the past, it's entirely possible that he could finish somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-10, 4.50. And if his ERA balloons like it did last year, there's a good chance the Reds will have fallen out of contention. It's better to trade early than late--of course. But it's also good to know when a trade would benefit your club, and when it could dismantle it. The Reds need every starter performing at top levels to be competitive for the remainder of the year. If Milton's producing and the Reds are winning, you don't trade him. Perhaps in the offseason, but not then.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Doesn't Milton only have 1 year left on his contract after this anyway?

Might as well hold onto him if he is pitching well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Throughout the last few years, I've noticed that Cardinals players often compliment players on the other team after a losing game. I think it's the right thing to do, and it shows sportsmanship. If you think the opposing pitcher had a great game, then admit it. Don't say that he was lucky, or that it was only because you had a bad game. I've noticed the opposite from Astros players. They never seem to give credit to their opponent. When they lose a game, they seem to say that it was because they had a bad day, or they didn't do something right. Sometimes, the opposing pitcher is just too good for you. It may be tough to admit, but it shows good sportsmanship if you can admit it.
    I wonder where they got it from cause I know Tony was none too complimentary to the Reds when they swept his A's in 1990.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler

It is always better to trade a player too soon than too late. Milton may just make it through the season with a 4.50-ish ERA, but it is certainly not a sure thing. In fact, it is more likely that he ends the year with an ERA close to 5.00. As he sits with his ERA currently at 4.14, that means that he is due for some stinkers coming up soon. I certainly don't want those stinkers thrown while in a Reds uniform from a competetive standpoint. Those stinkers will torpedo any hope of trading him, too.
    Nothing is a sure thing. It is not a sure thing that he will close out the year with an ERA of close to 5.00. It isn't like he has pitched one gem amongst several shellings. Throw out the game where he got rocked by Florida and it was found he was injured and the Detroit game, which was basically a rehab start, and he has been superb. He is a completely different pitcher when compared to last season.

Of course he is going to throw a few stinkers, who doesn't? Pedro pitched one just last night (and no, I'm not comparing Milton to Pedro). The difference between last year and this is that last season he threw them pretty much every 5 days. With the addition of his changeup and the strength he now has in his legs, I don't see that happening this season.

I mentioned this in the game thread last night. His follow-thru this season is different, or so it seems to me. You can tell he is throwing with more strength in his legs by the way he is kicking that left leg during his follow-thru.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Doesn't Milton only have 1 year left on his contract after this anyway?

Might as well hold onto him if he is pitching well.
    2007 at almost 10 million.

I wouldn't take that chance
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    2007 at almost 10 million.

I wouldn't take that chance
    trade hiim by the deadline if we're not in contention.

Trade him in the offseason if we are.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?