Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yadier Molina quote.......

Re: Yadier Molina quote.......

If we're contending, keep the team intact.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

2. Turn Off Ads?

You can tell why LaRussa likes Molina. They both makes some silly quotes. This reminds me on LaRussa's comments about Dave Williams.

Wow.

Milton has looked good, but he's got to get those pitches down. He's going to get burned sooner or later. You just can't pitch that high in the zone with his stuff, it won't work for long, although I hope I'm wrong.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    If Milty has a sub 4.50 ERA at the end of July, do we still shop him? I say no.
    Paul Wilson says "Hi!" He would wave, too, but he can't lift his right arm.

You trade Milton at the first opportunity because if you don't, you have to pay Eric Milton $9 million+ to pitch for your team next year. Maybe he doesn't emplode this year, but I sure don't trust him to pitch well for another 18 months.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Whenever Milton gets lit up, DL him... because when he is not in pain, he's tough to beat.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...606070323/1071

Subtract the start before and the start after Milton's stint on the disabled list (April 24-May 20), and Milton has been sensational in his five remaining starts (4-1, 1.73 ERA, two walks).

Those of you clamoring for a trade of Milton as soon as humanly possible realize that he can be traded in the offseason too, right? If he manages to finish the season with a dozen wins and an ERA around the 4.50 range, he'll have some suitors. I'm not completely averse to trading him DURING the season--even if the Reds are contending--provided the Reds get something of value in return. I'm past the point of asking only for a bucket of balls for Milton. If he's pitching effectively and the Reds are contending, I'm in no huge rush to deal him. Keep all of your options open--including keeping him.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    We are still contending in July. Milty has a sub 4.50 ERA. Do we shop him?
    No, if you are contending, you keep Milton if he's pitching like that.
    After this year, there's only one year left on his contract. So, even if he stinks next year, it's worth it not to torpedo a contending season.

What the Reds need just as bad as more starting pitching is to get the fans back. If the team contends this year, you don't pull a 2000/2003 and start dumping people (even if it's "fool's gold" contending).

We have to be honest, if Milton is pitching well and we deal him at the deadline, what front line pitcher is going to want to come here? Do you think Mulder, Zito, or whoever is going to want to sign as a free agent, only to be treated like trade bait?

If Milton is giving us good starts, then why dump him just to remove his contract 1 year earlier? Keep in mind that the "payflex" freed is not likely going to attract a pitcher that's better than what Milton is doing now.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The one game he lost of these five he threw 8 innings against Arizona giving up only one run and striking out nine.

Here's his game log: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...nUG0bQEPGFCLcF

If Milton was hurt last year, I wish he just would have said so. He is a very different pitcher now that his knee is fixed.

He can be very impressive when he's throwing in the low 90's with his fastball then come back with a 78 MPH change.

Milton's changeup this year has been VERY good.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    We have to be honest, if Milton is pitching well and we deal him at the deadline, what front line pitcher is going to want to come here? Do you think Mulder, Zito, or whoever is going to want to sign as a free agent, only to be treated like trade bait?

If Milton is giving us good starts, then why dump him just to remove his contract 1 year earlier? Keep in mind that the "payflex" freed is not likely going to attract a pitcher that's better than what Milton is doing now.
    Good points but I would not include Mulder in the discussion of pitchers to go after. he has not been very impressive in the few times I have seen him. He and Hudson have both slipped up in their second seasons away from Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Milton has looked good, but he's got to get those pitches down. He's going to get burned sooner or later. You just can't pitch that high in the zone with his stuff, it won't work for long, although I hope I'm wrong.
    He can get away with being high in the strike zone a little more this year with his changeup being so effective because he is keeping hitters off-balance.

I don't like the idea of dumping salaries of players who are getting it done while the team is in serious contention. If the team is out of it by the trading deadline and Milton is still pitching like this, by all means shop him around. If the Reds are in the thick of it, you keep the players who have gotten you there, next year will take care of itself.

STLRedsBacker

Take out Milton's start where he injured his knee, and his start directly after, and the man has been rock-solid this season on the hill.

One other reason not to send a successful Milton packing is that if he is seen as having been roughed up in GABP but succeeds after it may add to the perception of GABP being a awful place for pitchers. His success here, were it to grow, would fight that perception and may make it easier to land other FA pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    If Milton was hurt last year, I wish he just would have said so. He is a very different pitcher now that his knee is fixed.
    If he was without pain in his knee, he may not have realized it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?