Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCoy on Joe Mays

Yay!

McCoy on Joe Mays

Two decent efforts out of Mccoy, on back-to-back days.

Mays' promotion not a clear signal, at least to Reds
    By Hal McCoy

ST. LOUIS | By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS Joe Mays owns 152 major-league starts and 83 minor-league starts, with a sprinkling of bullpen appearances on his biographical sheet.

By vocation he is a starter. After the Kansas City Royals cut him, the Reds signed him and sent him to Class AAA Louisville, where he made three starts (2-1, 3.20).

Just minutes after Monday's game ended, manager Jerry Narron's office door was closed as he chatted with general manager Wayne Krivsky: Mays was joining the team.

And it was immediately after starter Brandon Claussen laid another boulder-sized egg on the mound.

Despite all the clues that even Inspector Clouseau could find that the rotation is in Mays' immediate future, the Reds are spinning it otherwise.

Asked if anybody in the rotation should be worried, manager Jerry Narron said, "No, not really. No."

Asked if Mays would take Claussen's turn the next time through the rotation, Narron again said, "Not really. No. No, sir. But we definitely need Claussen to get his pitch-count down (114 in five innings Monday). Right now, Mays is our long man in relief."

And Mays?

"I'm starting in the bullpen and we'll see how things go," he said. "I'll roll with it, even though I haven't made a lot of appearances out of the bullpen in my career, something new for me."

Coffey's routine

What does a relief pitcher, a closer like Todd Coffey, do before games when he doesn't know if he'll pitch and does pitch about half the time?

"I let my arm tell me," Coffey said. "And I listen to veterans like Chris Hammond, David Weathers and Kent Mercker make suggestions. Last year, I threw way too much. Now I play about three minutes of long toss, then I throw eight pitches off a mound to a catcher two fastballs at 100 per cent, then two sliders, two sinkers and two changeups at about 70 percent.

"And I listen to what those three guys say because they've been there and they've had success. I'm fortunate to have them around me."

Mercker the tourist

The Reds' St. Louis hotel is attached to a rundown mall in the old train station that features cheap tourist shops that sell t-shirts, t-shirts and more t-shirts, plus a few discount shoe outlets, discount plastic jewelry shops and a candy shop where they make fudge while entertaining customers.

Said relief pitcher Kent Mercker: "Today I bought an Albert Pujols t-shirt, they let me stir the fudge, I bought an Albert Pujols t-shirt and I had my picture taken for one of those screen t-shirts that has my photo and 'World's Greatest Dad on it.' And, oh, I bought an Albert Pujols t-shirt."

On Tuesday, Mercker showed up with a t-shirt with his photo and the inscription, "World's Greatest Teammate." He gave it to Adam Dunn, who actually wore it.

Another Tall Texan

Dunn, who attended the University of Texas on a football scholarship on the Reds drafting University of Texas outfielder Drew Stubbs with their No. 1 pick: "I know who he is, I know of him, but I've never met the guy. But I love it. You can never have too many guys from Texas."

Stubbs is the fourth straight Texan drafted No. 1 by the Reds, following pitcher Ryan Wagner, pitcher Homer Bailey and outfielder Jay Bruce.

Just a spectator

Bernie Stowe has been with Reds since 1948, serving in auxiliary capacities from batboy to equipment manager. He still works home games but doesn't make trips.

He showed up Monday in St. Louis, but only to spectate. And his son, current clubhouse manager/equipment manager Rick Stowe, said pops wasn't happy.

"He sat in the stands, first time in 60 years," said Rick. "And we played one of the most exciting games in years (8-7 win on Ken Griffey Jr.'s three-run ninth-inning home run) and dad thought it was boring because he had to sit in the stands."

Not a good start

After considerable tub-thumping about left-handed pitcher Phil Dumatrait's promotion from Class AA Chattanooga to make his Class AAA debut in Louisville Monday, he gave up five runs and 12 hits in 4 2/3 innings of an 8-2 loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Outfielder Chris Denorfia leads the International League in hitting at .342.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy on Mays

I would much rather give Belisle a shot at starting when he gets back than let Joe Mays start.

Asked if Mays would take Claussen's turn the next time through the rotation, Narron again said, "Not really. No. No, sir. But we definitely need Claussen to get his pitch-count down (114 in five innings Monday).
    After watching Claussen last year and this - I don't see that happening.

He should be on the same train they sent Luke Hudson out on (who also couldn't find the plate).
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Yay!

I think I would have given Germano a shot ahead of either of them.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5 Hits, 3 Walks, and 3 Earned Runs in 5 innings is not good, but it's hardly the "boulder-sized egg" Hal is hyperbolizing.

If anyone deserves to lose his spot on the pitching staff, it's Rick "Slow, Straight Ball" White.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Mercker the tourist

The Reds' St. Louis hotel is attached to a rundown mall in the old train station that features cheap tourist shops that sell t-shirts, t-shirts and more t-shirts, plus a few discount shoe outlets, discount plastic jewelry shops and a candy shop where they make fudge while entertaining customers.

Said relief pitcher Kent Mercker: "Today I bought an Albert Pujols t-shirt, they let me stir the fudge, I bought an Albert Pujols t-shirt and I had my picture taken for one of those screen t-shirts that has my photo and 'World's Greatest Dad on it.' And, oh, I bought an Albert Pujols t-shirt."

On Tuesday, Mercker showed up with a t-shirt with his photo and the inscription, "World's Greatest Teammate." He gave it to Adam Dunn, who actually wore it.

That's hilarious.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it would be about the Say Hey Kid
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Take away Mays' one good season five years ago, and the guy sports an ERA of 5.55 over his career with a .299 avg against. Claussen is better this year and over his short career than Mays will most likely ever be again.

I'm not a Claussen believer, and I don't think there is much room for improvement, but Mays? He's not even a lefty. I really hope he does not start one game for the Reds. If Krivsky's goal is to turn him into a good reliever, fine, but not a starter.

I'm probably whizzing into the prevailing winds here, but I hope not. Germano would be a better option, I agree. If May does get a chance to start I hope they are very, and I mean very impatient with him.

The only thing that Mays has going for him is that he has been a ground ball pitcher throughout his career and doesn't give up as many homers as Claussen - except for this year of course.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

STLRedsBacker

The stuff about Mercker cracked me up for some reason. Mainly picturing Mercker stirring fudge and wearing a "World's Greatest Dad" shirt with Adam Dunn by his side wearing a similar screen-printed shirt.

I truly believe Claussen has been the pitcher who has been most affected by Ruhle's abscence. Maybe he can lean on Browning or Milton for advice and get straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRedsBacker
    The stuff about Mercker cracked me up for some reason. Mainly picturing Mercker stirring fudge and wearing a "World's Greatest Dad" shirt with Adam Dunn by his side wearing a similar screen-printed shirt.

I have a question for someone that lives in St. Louis. I thought the Reds stayed in Union Station which is connected to a mall and is an old train station. I have stayed there before and to say it is rundown has to be a joke. I love the place. It is a very nice mall and a very nice place to stay. What does he mean about run-down? Has it run-down in 3 years (I was there about 3 years ago)?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Texas?I thought Jay Bruce was drafted out of Arkansas?
    Any news on Vern Ruhle?

I'm not sure, I saw Germano a few weeks ago when Lousiville was in Durham, and he did not impress me in the least little bit. Of cours,e that was only one outing, and the only time I have actually seen the dude pitch, but he looked los ton the filed that night. I do hope he has way more then that, which I am sure he does, and makes this a pointless post.

STLRedsBacker

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    I have a question for someone that lives in St. Louis. I thought the Reds stayed in Union Station which is connected to a mall and is an old train station. I have stayed there before and to say it is rundown has to be a joke. I love the place. It is a very nice mall and a very nice place to stay. What does he mean about run-down? Has it run-down in 3 years (I was there about 3 years ago)?
    I think the whole train area makes it look sort of rundown, but you're right, they are staying in Union Station. It's still not a bad area, just not an upscale mall.

Does anyone think if Claussen could add one more pitch to his arsenal that he could be really nasty?

I do...I just think he is too predictable....but I don't think he is washed up, over, done or any of that.

Just my thoughts...how bout you?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?