Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many more seasons will griffey play?

how many more seasons will griffey play?

was listening to the pre game show on fox last night and they did a piece with JR. he mentioned that his kids want him to play 7 more seasons. i think he is in good enough shape to play into his early fourtys if he can stay away from the MAJOR INJURY. we must remember that over the last 4 years he hasn't played much which has allowed him to heal other nagging problems. watching him go from first to home last night scared me but also gave me confidence he's finally 100%.

comments?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: how many more seasons will griffey play?

From 1st to 3rd almost gave my heart flutters... Seeing him round 3rd and take off home I about died.....

I want JR to play as long as he wants to play... He knows when his time to go is.... But... I'd LOVE to see Bonds retire this year... Not get the Record and JR keeps playing and break the record... Or atleast get #2 on the list... Leaveing Aaron at number 1.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

If he plays 7 years, he will break Aaron's record.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

with Cincinnati, the answer is two
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I'd say that's highly questionable given his health record since 2000 and factoring in the generally rapid skill decline in the late 30s and early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    All he would need to do is avg 30 hr a year here on out for 7 years to reach Aaron.

755-546/7=29.85

Unless my math sucks which is ALWAYS entirely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    All he would need to do is avg 30 hr a year here on out for 7 years to reach Aaron.

755-546/7=29.85
    in the 5 years prior to this season he has averaged only 19+ HRs per season (98 HR in 2001-2005). Jr would need a miracle to make a run at Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    in the 5 years prior to this season he has averaged only 19+ HRs per season (98 HR in 2001-2005). Jr would need a miracle to make a run at Aaron.
    Not a miracle, he would need better luck...all his injuries seem to be just plain dumb luck.

At this point, I can't see Griffey making any kind of run at Aaron. I also can't see Griffey playing beyond the point where he can no longer play at the level he expects of himself. You won't see Junior limping around on the field going after a record like you see with Bonds.

My guess is that he plays for 3 more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Not a miracle, he would need better luck...all his injuries seem to be just plain dumb luck.
    bad luck or not it usually only gets worse with age. I think it was more to do with the wear and tear on an aging body that had spent 11 years pounding on the astroturf.

2 1/2 more, his legs will be barking at him by then and he'll hang it up.

20 years in the big leagues isn't bad.
    Go Gators!

in 1970 at age 36 Aaron had 554 and needed to Average 40 hrs a season for the next 4 yeaers to catch Ruth. I thought like many others that there was no way.Well he did it coming up only one short in those 4 years. Jr is 18 hrs behind Aarons pace right now so it will take at least 5-7 years to do it. I don't think he'll do it but I'd love to be wrong again.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

2009 (if not 2008) will be for Griffey what this year has been for Bonds and Frank Thomas, and what 2001 was for McGwire.

Theorhetically, Griffey could DH and go for another 4-5 years, but realistically I see him retiring before DH'ing on a regular basis.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I would love nothing more than Griffey pulling off a miracle and being the one to pass Aaron.

Never count him out. Just when you think you got him pegged, he pulls a late surprise on you.

Quote Originally Posted by vic715
    in 1970 at age 36 Aaron had 554 and needed to Average 40 hrs a season for the next 4 yeaers to catch Ruth. I thought like many others that there was no way.Well he did it coming up only one short in those 4 years. Jr is 18 hrs behind Aarons pace right now so it will take at least 5-7 years to do it. I don't think he'll do it but I'd love to be wrong again.
    but that is what made Aaron special, he was as good at 35-39 as at any point in his career. Other than the steroid aided Bonds nobody else has ever done it, everyone else experienced significant decline in those 35-39 years.

Turn Off Ads?