Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates talk extension with Casey

Pirates talk extension with Casey

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/baseball...754148,00.html

By DEJAN KOVACEVIC
    June 5, 2006

The Pittsburgh Pirates are planning a push to sign first baseman Sean Casey to a long-term contract, a team source said.

Management has not yet contacted Casey or his agent, Ron Shapiro, but the source said ownership has authorized general manager Dave Littlefield to pursue a deal sometime this summer that would keep Casey from leaving through free agency, as he is eligible to do following this season.

Casey said in March he would be amenable to staying in Pittsburgh - he was born in Upper St. Clair, Pa. and makes his home there - and reiterated that Monday.

"Sure. No doubt about it. Definitely, I would," he said. "But my main goal right now is getting back to playing at the top of my game. If something came up, I'd look at that."

Asked if he had made up his mind to try free agency no matter what, he replied: "No, no, no, I haven't made up my mind. This is obviously my first time I'll have an opportunity at free agency, with my being with Cincinnati the whole time before this. But it's just not something I've thought about."

Casey, 31, is making $8.5 million this season in the final season of a four-year contract. The Reds are paying $1 million of that, as per the terms of the teams' December trade.

Management has liked what it has seen of Casey, although he just missed six weeks to a fractured back. He is batting .274 with three home runs and 10 RBIs in his 17 games.

An equally large issue for the Pirates, it appears, is that their internal options for first base seem limited.

The team has rebuffed offers from veteran Craig Wilson to negotiate an extension, and it is highly likely he will be dealt by the July 31 trading deadline. If not, he is a virtual lock to depart through free agency after the season.

Brad Eldred, the system's top power-hitting prospect, probably is out for the season after his thumb was dislocated in April. This was to be a pivotal year for his development, given the team's wish to see him improve his eye at the plate, and he will be 27 by the middle of next season.

No one else in the organization is on the cusp of making an impact at first base. The Pirates tried catcher Ryan Doumit there briefly last month, but management's long-term aim is to keep him behind the plate.

Littlefield said in March that he was open to trying to keep Casey, based on his performance and the progression of Eldred, and he's sticking to that stance.

"Nothing's changed in that regard," he said. "Obviously, what has taken place to this point in time is that Sean did well early, was out for six weeks and has come back and done a nice job. Obviously, Eldred is now hurt for four months, so those are some of the issues that play into it."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates talk extension with Casey

Hope they keep him around.
    Go Gators!

it wouldn't suprise me if he offered the Reds a big discount to take him back, but in reality, I don't think it would be a good idea.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    it wouldn't suprise me if he offered the Reds a big discount to take him back, but in reality, I don't think it would be a good idea.
    I doubt it. He grew up watching Pittsburgh and he lives there now. He's got a sweetheart deal going... why even think about coming back here?

The Pirates have been real good in the past at signing/giving away monies they can't really afford to do.

Remember Derek Bell?

They aren't too smart.

As long as it's not the Reds still doing it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Reds are more or less getting Sean Casey numbers from Scott Hatteberg, and for a lot less money.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I wouldn't be against him coming back at a Hatteburg-esque contract. If he thinks he getting 8 a year, he can go to the suck that is Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I wouldn't be against him coming back at a Hatteburg-esque contract. If he thinks he getting 8 a year, he can go to the suck that is Pittsburgh
    I agree, if he came cheap I wouldn't be against bringing him back. He'll put up better numbers than Hatteberg.

Unless the Pirates made him an offer he couldn't refuse he might as well try the free agent Market. I don't think he'll ever get 8 mill or even close but who knows.I'd take him back here in a minute for 2 or 3 mill.You take away the 3 years Casey was hurt(98, 02, 05) and he still averages 90 RBIs a year.I realize keeping him healthy is a risk but he's still a major upgrade over Hatte and Rich.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he'll get. I don't think he is worth more than 3.5 million, but we shall see. I hope Krivsky isn't gaga over a reunion though.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    I doubt it. He grew up watching Pittsburgh and he lives there now. He's got a sweetheart deal going... why even think about coming back here?
    He wouldn't think twice, he'd only think once if the opportunity presented itself.

Regardless of where he grew up, he moved on a long time ago... just like many of us don't return to our hometowns to live, even though we always think of them as home in a retrospective sort of way.

Sean Casey loves Cincinnati and if he was offered the opportunity and a deal he could live with, my guess is he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think Sean has 8 more years of baseball left in him. Nothing against him personally; I just don't think his body is capable.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-07-2006 at 11:54 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I say, go Pirates

Hilarious. The Pirates are thowing crazy money at Sean Casey and throwing Craig Wilson to the dogs.

That's why they're the Pirates, I guess.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Hilarious. The Pirates are thowing crazy money at Sean Casey and throwing Craig Wilson to the dogs.

That's why they're the Pirates, I guess.
    not much guessing about it. They need to keep Burnitz and Casey and dump Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    The Reds are more or less getting Sean Casey numbers from Scott Hatteberg, and for a lot less money.
    Yeah, but Hatteberg doesn't have half the at-bat antics that Sean Casey has. I mean, just the sound of Case rippin' his velcro wrist-bands off and on is worth at least 1 mil a year.

Turn Off Ads?