Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds--Tigers Trade Idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds--Tigers Trade Idea

How about this for a July trading deadline deal especially if both teams are in contention:

Reds trading OF Adam Dunn to the Tigers for RHP Jeremy Bonderman.

Tigers: It would be difficult for them to part with Bonderman especially with Maroth's shoulder being a question mark and the Tigers' strength being their starting pitching. BUT, the Tigers are looking for a lefthanded DH who can play LF too. Dunn fills that requirement and has the power to hit it out of any ballpark.

Reds: Don't think Krivsky will buy that the starting pitching is rock solid. Claussen has become an enigma and the jury is still out if Ramirez can be a solid starting pitcher over the longhaul. Bonderman gives the Reds another solid starter. Pitching and defense is what wins in the playoffs. Losing Dunn hurts offensively or does it? It has been well documented on this site about Dunn's ability to hit with the game on the line. The Reds have options with Freel and possibly Denorifia as replacements. If Krivsky didn't have a problem parting with dimensional power hitting outfielder in Pena for a starting pitcher, who is to say he wouldn't do the same involving Dunn?

So would a Dunn for Bonderman deal make sense for both sides?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Re: Reds--Tigers Trade Idea

Why does everyone talk about Bonderman like he's a great pitcher? I hear it all the time and don't understand it at all. He's not, never has been, and likely never will be. We're talking about a guy who has a career ERA of 4.9 and a WHIP of 1.37. I know he's still young, but he's nothing more than a #3 or #4. And he's a Tommy John waiting to happen with all the innings he's thrown at such a young age.

I was thinking that the Tigers might be the perfect candidate for Eric Milton. With Maroth out and Detroit fans crazy to make it happen this season, they that might be a good fit for him, especially in that park. I'd settle for one of their middle relievers.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Why does everyone talk about Bonderman like he's a great pitcher? I hear it all the time and don't understand it at all. He's not, never has been, and likely never will be. We're talking about a guy who has a career ERA of 4.9 and a WHIP of 1.37. I know he's still young, but he's nothing more than a #3 or #4. And he's a Tommy John waiting to happen with all the innings he's thrown at such a young age.

I was thinking that the Tigers might be the perfect candidate for Eric Milton. With Maroth out and Detroit fans crazy to make it happen this season, they that might be a good fit for him, especially in that park. I'd settle for one of their middle relievers.
    Bonderman is 23 yrs old. His ERA when he was 20 was 5.55. 21 - 4.89. 22 - 4.57. Steadily heading down. Look at how Sheets was before he put it together. He put it together his 4 th year in the majors and he was drafted out of college. Bonderman was a HS pick. Bonderman should be in AAA or his rookie year. The guy is a huge talent waiting to break out.

I would love to have Bonderman as a Red, but there is no way I would trade Adam Dunn for him. Jr., yeah I would, but not Dunn.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bad deal for the Reds. Bonderman is a B-level starter at best. Dunn is A-level offensive talent, for reasons that have been explained on this board countless times.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Bad deal for the Reds. Bonderman is a B-level starter at best. Dunn is A-level offensive talent, for reasons that have been explained on this board countless times.
    I don't think Dunn is A-level offensive talent. Guys like Junior and Pujols are A-level talent.

Would you trade Dunn in a three-way deal with the Marlins in order to get LHP Dontrelle Willis? If you swing Dunn to Detroit for prospects that the Marlins would agree to, would you be happy with Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I don't think Dunn is A-level offensive talent. Guys like Junior and Pujols are A-level talent.
    Like I said, we've been over this countless times. I do think he's A-level talent. Pujols is A-plus.

Would you trade Dunn in a three-way deal with the Marlins in order to get LHP Dontrelle Willis? If you swing Dunn to Detroit for prospects that the Marlins would agree to, would you be happy with Willis?
    I'd be happier with Willis than with Bonderman, but I'd be happiest with Dunn still on the team.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I would see if the Reds could swing Dunn to the Angels for prospects (they need a DH) and flip those prospects to Florida for LHP Dontrelle Willis.

I would see if the Reds could swing Dunn to the Angels for prospects (they need a DH) and flip those prospects to Florida for LHP Dontrelle Willis.

How about targeting some Angels pitchers? They're out of it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Krusty: I think you're thinking in the right vein. Dunn is the man to move. He is abysmal with men in scoring position..it is getting painful to watch. The Reds should move him before other teams begin to realize that his stats are padded when it doesn't matter. I have never seen a player who is less clutch receive such high praise as Adam Dunn.

I see. Ken Griffey Junior is an "A-level" talent, but here's what you said about him yesterday:

I don't see Griffey going anywhere especially what is still owed on his contract and injury history.
    Which is it? Is Griffey an "A-level" talent who, as such, should certainly be worth his full contract to any team looking to acquire him or is he a dramatically overpaid injury waiting to happen?

If Griffey is an "A-level" offensive talent right now, he's actually cheap by MLB standards. If that's the case, Griffey should be extremely desirable and the Reds should easily be able to acquire more talent for him than if they swapped Dunn.

Yet you appear to view Griffey (an "A-level" talent) as an immovable object. Can't have it both ways.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Guys like Junior ... are A-level talent.
    you have to stay healthy to be an A-level talent. There is a reason no one wants to take Jrs contract.

Yes, I would def entertain options that would bring Willis to Cincy, not saying I am giving up on Dunn, but would love to have Willis.

As much as I hate to say it MWM, now that it doesn't seem that budget is as big a deal for the Reds I don't want them to trade Milton. I know he's not great but they really don't have anyone better.

As for the deal posed? Krusty I don't like it and I don't think the Tigers will trade a SP during the season anyway.

My dreams these days revolve arond a 15 game Giant losing streak and a trade for Jason Schmidt and Kearns is the one I'm trading to get that done.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    As much as I hate to say it MWM, now that it doesn't seem that budget is as big a deal for the Reds I don't want them to trade Milton. I know he's not great but they really don't have anyone better.

As for the deal posed? Krusty I don't like it and I don't think the Tigers will trade a SP during the season anyway.

My dreams these days revolve arond a 15 game Giant losing streak and a trade for Jason Schmidt and Kearns is the one I'm trading to get that done.
    Next to Junior, I think Kearns has been the most productive hitter on the team.

Turn Off Ads?