Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wacky Promotional Nights

Wacky Promotional Nights

In the early 1980's my father took me to a Nashville Sounds minor league baseball game. They are AAA for the Brewers now, in the PCL, but I don't remember who they were affilliated with back then.

The promotion that night was "used car night". Random tickets were chosen, and if you were the so-called lucky fan you won a used car. Sounds like a pretty cool deal right? Go to a ballgame and get a car!

Well, keeping in mind that this was a minor league team, with a minor league promotional budget AND this is the very early 80's (1981, I think) it quickly became apparent that the winning tickets were held by those who didn't get stuck with a used car that night. These were all mid to late 1970's cars and they had about 30 of them. Even as a 9 year old I knew they were crappy. Lots of beat up cars, all that were at least 23 feet long, boxy, and generally on their last legs. Think beat up Gernada's, Cordoba's, Fairmonts, LeMond's, and the like from the 1970's and you'll get the picture. They started one up to demonstrate this fine example of Detroit engineering....the blast of white smoke that erupted took care of the mosquitos that night.

So with that preamble, the question is....what is the wackiest promotional night you've been to for a professional sports team?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wacky Promotional Nights

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Think beat up Gernada's, Cordoba's, Fairmonts, LeMond's, and the like from the 1970's and you'll get the picture.
    Did it have rich Corinthian leather?

No Pintos or Vegas?

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Did it have rich Corinthian leather?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Remember, that was advertised as "The 'little' Chrysler."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I always like the take your dog to the ball game bit. I brought mine to a Twins game a few years ago at Metrodome. Even the dog couldn't stand that place. Has GABP ever done that promotion? The Twins just had a few sections in the outfield where people with dogs had to sit, you couldn't just mosey down to some nice seats behind the plate, although it would be cool to see some dogs sitting behind home plate watching the game than all the knuckleheads with cell phones glued to there ears.....

T-tops freakin' RAWK!!! You can totally hear "Urgent" from, like, a block away.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    I always like the take your dog to the ball game bit. I brought mine to a Twins game a few years ago at Metrodome. Even the dog couldn't stand that place. Has GABP ever done that promotion? The Twins just had a few sections in the outfield where people with dogs had to sit, you couldn't just mosey down to some nice seats behind the plate, although it would be cool to see some dogs sitting behind home plate watching the game than all the knuckleheads with cell phones glued to there ears.....
    I don't believe so indyred, but I could be wrong about that. Of course, if they did that, I'd sic my dog on those knuckleheads with the cellphones. We'll see how important those calls really are!
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Adam Dunn Golden Sombrero night.

In the early 1980's my father took me to a Nashville Sounds minor league baseball game. They are AAA for the Brewers now, in the PCL, but I don't remember who they were affilliated with back then.
    The Nashville Sounds were an affiliate of THE CINCINNATI REDS!!!

Chris Sabo played for the Sounds.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Adam Dunn Golden Sombrero night.

Along those same lines, last year the Reds had Eric Milton Game Used Baseball night several different times. Every third person in the Sun/Moon Deck got a free game used baseball. It must have been pretty expensive because it looks like they've discontinued it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I reckon I could pick up some chicks with that car. Uh huh.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

I don't believe so indyred, but I could be wrong about that. Of course, if they did that, I'd sic my dog on those knuckleheads with the cellphones. We'll see how important those calls really are!
    I'd sic my dog on Rick White.

And as for the Adam Dunn Golden Sombrero night...ole!

Fitted Hat Day!

Turn Off Ads?