Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Greatest Play

Single Greatest Play

I did a search and didn't come up anything on this.

In your opinion, what is the greatest single play in baseball history? Not serries, not game, but individual play. More importantly, why is it the greatest? There's been a lot of plays made in all these many years, so there's a lot to pick from. Willy Maye's catch? Ruth calling his HR shot? Maybe a world series moment?

Conversely, what is the worst single play in baseball history? Again, why? Buckner letting the ball go thru his legs perhaps? There's been a lot of bummers so there's a lot to choose from here also.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Single Greatest Play

One nominee for the best play is the unassisted triple play by Cleveland SS Bill Wambsganss in the 5th inning of Game Five in the 1920 World Series. It's the only unassisted triple play in World Series history. Unfortunately, the game situation wasn't too crucial as Cleveland was already winning 7-0 when the triple play occurred.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 06-08-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    I did a search and didn't come up anything on this.

In your opinion, what is the greatest single play in baseball history? Not serries, not game, but individual play. More importantly, why is it the greatest? There's been a lot of plays made in all these many years, so there's a lot to pick from. Willy Maye's catch? Ruth calling his HR shot? Maybe a world series moment?

Conversely, what is the worst single play in baseball history? Again, why? Buckner letting the ball go thru his legs perhaps? There's been a lot of bummers so there's a lot to choose from here also.

Greatest?

Merkles Boner

In the biggest race in the peak of the season involving 2 teams fighting for the title.

The call and the aftermath gripped the nation and caused perhaps the first national examination of baseballs rules.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Greatest?

Merkles Boner

In the biggest race in the peak of the season involving 2 teams fighting for the title.

The call and the aftermath gripped the nation and caused perhaps the first national examination of baseballs rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Merkle
    School's out. What did you expect?

Mays catch has to be up there IMO.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I'm going to go with Bobby Thomson's "shot heard round the world". Two NY teams battling for the pennant, ninth inning comeback and a huge late season comeback for the Giants, and a dramatic radio call that we are very fortunate to be able to have a record of.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

and a dramatic radio call that we are very fortunate to be able to have a record of.
    So true, the recording we all hear is a recording made by a Dodger fan at home, he was preparing to "gloat" with the announcment of the Dodgers win.

However they lost, and because they lost he decided to deliver it to Russ Hodges. I find it odd that he was recording the feed from the Giants broadcast, there were 3 broadcasts that day, The Giants, Dodgers and a Universal feed.

You mean no one has voted for this yet

or this

he he he

I was at the game for the top one.

It's not the greatest play ever, but I'm very fond of Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloaming. Do home runs count?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Do home runs count?
    If they do, here is a forgotten one.

As it gets some Jayson Stark love:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark/648720.html

BaseballBum

Jeter's play in the WS.

Worst- The homerun off the top of Canseco's head.

Ozzie Smith's tough hop barehanded play was a very nice one!

jredmo2

Any play that involves a flyball hitting an OF's head and becoming a HR.

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballBum
    Jeter's play in the WS.
    Which one do you mean, the flip play against Oakland and Jeremy Giambi? That was the ALDS...or do you mean another one? I'm blanking on a historic WS play from him apart from the Diamondbacks homer.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?