Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any gardeners here?

saboforthird

Any gardeners here?

In the movie "Somersby", Jack (main character) shows the community how to grow tobacco plants for transplanting, by sowing seeds in manure (I'm guessing they used that instead of clayish soil) and covering this with straw. Later they came back and removed the straw to reveal healthy seedings that they then removed to be transplanted into the fields. Just growing seedlings this way (sowing, and immediately mulching) work well?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any gardeners here?

The idea behind growing seedlings before planting them in the ground is that they need more nourishment when the growing process first starts, much like a baby. Tobacco fields aren't always the most nurturing envionment for seeds. Growing them in manuer gives them the jumpstart they need to become healthy enough to transplant into the field. The staw is to keep animals from digging them up. Simple ideas, and effective ones. I mean, I'm sure you're familiar with the practice of putting straw over grass seed so birds don't eat the seeds, and tobacco is still put into fields as seedlings.

saboforthird

There are other reasons for growing seedlings before planting, such as to sell them to others for transplant, or.....for me a biggie, to offer some protection from the elements (might not get that out in big fields or large gardens). Have you seen the movie "Somersby"? In it, Jack starts these seedlings from long planters that 4-5' off the ground, and still covers them with straw. So, I think it was for reasons other than protection from animals that might dig up the seedlings. Having said that, I wonder if mulching seedlings (before they ever even sprout) such as tomato or lettuce plants (or even corn) with straw would be as effective. I don't really want to kill my poor little seeds.

My grandfather used to cover his tobacco and lettuce beds with a cheesecloth like material until they sprouted up and started growing. Then came the wonderful fun of planting the tobacco plants and all the work that comes with growing a crop of tobacco. Lots and lots of work.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    My grandfather used to cover his tobacco and lettuce beds with a cheesecloth like material until they sprouted up and started growing. Then came the wonderful fun of planting the tobacco plants and all the work that comes with growing a crop of tobacco. Lots and lots of work.
    Whooo boy, now you've done it.

I have always wondered if I would have any luck trying to grow a few plants in Ohio soil. Any idea? And if by chance I could ... would it be something that I could harvest and with a reasonable amount of work ... with then end game being to smoke it in a pipe or roll a cigar with? And if I could get that far ... would I be pretty disapointed with the results or would I have something worthwhile?

Thanks,

GL

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

I have always wondered if I would have any luck trying to grow a few plants in Ohio soil. Any idea? And if by chance I could ... would it be something that I could harvest and with a reasonable amount of work ... with then end game being to smoke it in a pipe or roll a cigar with? And if I could get that far ... would I be pretty disapointed with the results or would I have something worthwhile?

Thanks,

GL
    My grandfather grew some tobacco plants here in SWO. Just to see if they'd actually grow, not for use. He said he kept them in his "hot bed" (mini greenhouse covered by clear plastic tarp0 about two weeks longer than he would have if he was growing in Somerset KY.

To me, they never really got as full or looked as healthy as those you see in the Bluegrass State.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Let me get this straight, we are talking tobacco here, right?

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

Thanks,

GL
    My grandfather grew tobacco, just outside of Huntington, WV in Cabell County for many years, and he grew some wonderful tobacco. I have many memories of working in the stuff. After I was an adult, he would roll up his very best leaves in a "twist" for me to mix in with my "store bought" chew. I still have one of those twists in my humidor. You should have no trouble growing some nice plants in your Ohio soil if it is good soil. Curing it would be the hardest part, unless you know someone who has a nice barn.

John Wooden

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    My grandfather grew tobacco, just outside of Huntington, WV in Cabell County for many years, and he grew some wonderful tobacco. I have many memories of working in the stuff.
    I notice you didn't say "fond" or "pleasant" when referring to your memories. The worst summers of my life were spent suckering, topping, and hanging. Plus there's nothing like ingesting nicotine through your skin when you're sweating.

It ain't much fun, is it. Before they started bailing it, I can remember tying "hands" of tobacco. There was the red leaf, bright leaf, lugs, trash.........................

John Wooden

Yay!

We called it "sticks." My people still don't bail.

At the time, it wasn't pleasant. Lots of days spent taking in hay, hoeing corn, diggin' taters, and fertilizing (can you say barn waste?) the fields. The pleasant and fond memories are of the times spent with family who are no longer here. Hard work it was.

John Wooden

Yay!

Whew... I still bail hay... luckily I'm on the tractor now instead of the wagon. I always enjoyed mending fences as well. Especially at 5:30 in the morning when it was about 10 below.

I've been on that wagon too many times. My grandad didn't believe in tractors. We did it all with a team of mules. We even pulled a few tractors out of the creek banks with those animals. Boy, they were amazing? Gee, haw!
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 06-09-2006 at 04:06 PM.

John Wooden

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I loved bailing hay/straw as a kid. It was a way you could make a decent bit of cash and hang out with your buddies at the same time. Many of the farmers in our area would also put out a feast after you were done, and a few of them would bring out a cooler of beer (pretty cool for a 14-18 year old kid. It was as if they were showing that you worked like a man, have a beer. Probably would land 'em all in jail now-a-days). I can remember bailing hay all day and going to play summer league baseball in the evenings.

One of my buddies got the idea a few years ago ... we should get together on his Dad's farm and bail hay like we did when we were kids.

Ha Ha, a bunch of out of shape 32/33 year old guys in 90+ degree heat and Ohio humidity. Its lucky none of us keeled over! I think I slept for about 3 days after that ... but it did help to reinforce that my office job ... in an air controlled climate and a comfy chair ... was a pretty good gig.

GL

Turn Off Ads?